Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

PLEASE Explain Blacksmithing...

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
Okay so got a few fundamental questions here...

1. How do I unlock the tier 2 of my racial armor? Like all I can make is Iron stuff... when can I make steel items?

2. The blacksmithin skill tree doesn't seem to have any skill like "steel forging" or "deadric forging" - how do you learn these things?

3. How do I expand my recipes?

4. Someone please tell me what the hell is a racial motif? -_-

Thanks!
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    1. You have to level up your blacksmith skill to a high enough level, at which point it will unlock a blacksmith passive skill that will allow you to use steel. (It is the first passive in the blacksmith skill line)

2. Steel is a material, so just follow what I said above and you'll be able to use it. Daedric on the other hand, in this game is considered a racial style. This obtained by books called "Racial Motiffs" which can be found randomly throughout the world, so...loot all the things!

3. Not entirely sure what you mean here, but to see which cooking recipes you have, simply go to a cooking fire (provisioning crafting station) and you will see all that you have unlocked. If by expand you mean obtain more....once again, loot everything.

4. See answer 2.
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    1, What do you mean by 'tier 2'? If you mean higher quality gear, Q2 is the same.

2, There is a 'perk' called Metal working, you put skill points into that at certain levels to allow you to craft higher end gear. This is a similar process for clothing and wood working.

3, Level up and research traits. And put skill points into metal working.

4, Racial motifs are basically books that lets you craft different style. Such as Altmer style stuff, Bosmer style, Deadric style (Deadric 'equipment' is more of a cosmetic thing than something useful in this). They are found randomly in chests and drawers while exploring.
    Edited by shadowz081 on 3 April 2014 08:07
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Okay thanks guys - that cleared a lot up :)

What are the chances of finding the books, are they rare?
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    The chance of finding a book...Between 1 to 10, with 1 being really common and 10 being exceedingly rare, I would rate them around an 8, cause I haven't found one yet, while in beta I found 2 or 3.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    They're pretty rare yeah. I've found two so far, in my 20ish hours of game time.
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    @shadowz081‌ I would put it at about 6, as I so far have found about 10 books, including 2 high elf it's my own race
    Edited by Usstan on 3 April 2014 08:27
  • Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    During the beta weekends I found 0 (in words: ZERO).
    Now I already found two without much trying. :o

No idea if it´s just RNG shenanigans or they actually changed the droprates so people don´t think this game has just one armor.
    Which actually would be smart IMHO! B)
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly I found 2 of the books the orc and nord books in the last couple of rooms of the Daughter of Giants quest at level 10. I hadn't seen a single race book prior to that. It's basically just a rare item found when searching things. At the same time I found hmm, 8 recipes for cooking in that same mission. So I don't know why the random number generator suddenly liked me for the odd and obscure items.