Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Roleplay

deathwarding
Hello , so far loving ESO, pre-order was definitely worth it. I am an old school role player and i was just wondering how much people would like to see more general roleplay? I know the days are very early to say anything is "normal" yet, however i hope to see more people stop and actually hold "IC"- In character, Interactions. I love to take a break now and then from the hack n slash and actually RolePlay. Even when Im out questing/raiding I try to stay IC and it adds such a fun element to the game. I hope to see more RolePlay in the future of ESO.
  • moonfell
    moonfell
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy role playing as well, although staying in character is easier when my friends aren't on. I do have a character I'm gonna play completely by myself (other than the occasional group to get tough bits down) but I plan on staying in character the whole time I play her.

Honestly, I rather look forward to it. :)
    The Psijic Order - Mara's Moxie - Undestined - The Sidekick Order
  • SpireofSouls
    SpireofSouls
    ✭✭
    Welcome deathwarding, there is no IC or OOC in here unless you find the right players to roleplay out. But you may find this game disappointed though, all i can say about this game is lack of realism and feel like between Guild Wars and Lord of the Rings Online to me.
  • deathwarding
    moonfell wrote: »
    I enjoy role playing as well, although staying in character is easier when my friends aren't on. I do have a character I'm gonna play completely by myself (other than the occasional group to get tough bits down) but I plan on staying in character the whole time I play her.

Honestly, I rather look forward to it. :)

Great, Im so glad to hear there is another out there just like me! I hope to see you in tamriel!

• SpireofSouls
    SpireofSouls
    ✭✭
    Infact i havent found anyone to roleplay out, maybe this will keep me playing ESO as long i can find the right players to hang out. Btw i just made a Bosmer (Aldmeri Dominion) faction. Anyone want to get together and meet?
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    I think that you probably won't find much drive-by role playing until the customer survey is established so that people wanting to role play end up in the same zone instances most often. I do miss the old EQ days where we had an OOC channel for general chat so that the local chat channel tended to be much more IC than in more recent MMOs.

I find that being on Mumble with my guild pretty much keeps me away from the chat window (back in the bad old days of text only, I was much more likely to even notice someone attempting IC interactions). This is both a multi-tasking problem and a realization that most public channels are best ignored all together for the sake of my sanity.
  • SpireofSouls
    SpireofSouls
    ✭✭
    Unless they make roleplaying server of course.
  • myblackbox123
    myblackbox123
    ✭✭
    I would've enjoyed roleplaying in guild chat. But seeing "@MonkeyLoveBanana112" kind of ruins it for me. I guess there are other alternatives...
  • Kinsaven
    Kinsaven
    ✭✭✭
    There's a forum made by and for ESO roleplayers. You may find it easier to find people to roleplay with on there, or at least you'll know what's what. :)

http://teso-rp.com
  • deathwarding
    Swordmage wrote: »
    I think that you probably won't find much drive-by role playing until the customer survey is established so that people wanting to role play end up in the same zone instances most often. I do miss the old EQ days where we had an OOC channel for general chat so that the local chat channel tended to be much more IC than in more recent MMOs.

I find that being on Mumble with my guild pretty much keeps me away from the chat window (back in the bad old days of text only, I was much more likely to even notice someone attempting IC interactions). This is both a multi-tasking problem and a realization that most public channels are best ignored all together for the sake of my sanity.

Okay thank you, good to know. I'll have to go about looking for a guild to join perhaps, I am not so worried, being that i am not not playing it JUST for RP. I just love to see it more in the future :smile:
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always IC when playing ESO. Though there have been times where i was "kicked" out of IC because of someone asking a question and getting mad for how i answered.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • SpireofSouls
    SpireofSouls
    ✭✭
    Kinsaven wrote: »
    There's a forum made by and for ESO roleplayers. You may find it easier to find people to roleplay with on there, or at least you'll know what's what. :)

Hmm i need to check this out, ty Kin :)

• deathwarding
    Kinsaven wrote: »

Theres a link for everything hehe, thank you.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been roleplaying on my own, for the most part. My favorite of my three characters to roleplay so far is an old, matronly Argonian. She's getting feeble so has to walk everywhere and take plenty of breaks. It's really making me slow down and enjoy the world around me!

I've seen a couple other walkers around as well. It seems to be the best way to spot fellow roleplayers. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    've seen a couple other walkers around as well. It seems to be the best way to spot fellow roleplayers. :)
    I passionately agree! My characters walk about 75% of the time. Always while in cities and towns. On occasion in the gameworld and in most dungeons, when not i combat.

Hmm... can you whisper to character or account? If it's character contact, I may just unfilter whispers in my chat.

I'd much prefer a VOIP and completely abandon that chat but alas there is no in-game function for that.

EDIT :

One and all are invited to post their characters within The Esoteric Medium. It was created to be a hub for characters to evolve and meet in-game through RP.
    Edited by SeñorCinco on 2 April 2014 16:33
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Kinsaven
    Kinsaven
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I've seen many role players around yet, but then again I've mostly been out in the world, exploring and questing. :) I do hope that at some point someone will come up with a roleplay add-on, or something of the sort, so we can recognize our fellow roleplayers more easily.

• deathwarding
    've seen a couple other walkers around as well. It seems to be the best way to spot fellow roleplayers. :)
    I passionately agree! My characters walk about 75% of the time. Always while in cities and towns. On occasion in the gameworld and in most dungeons, when not i combat.

Hmm... can you whisper to character or account? If it's character contact, I may just unfilter whispers in my chat.

I'd much prefer a VOIP and completely abandon that chat but alas there is no in-game function for that.

EDIT :

One and all are invited to post their characters within The Esoteric Medium. It was created to be a hub for characters to evolve and meet in-game through RP.

Vert Neat, Thank You. ++