Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Templar as healer

Jaince
Jaince
Soul Shriven
I'm playing a Templar and I want to use her as a healer, but I'm unsure as to what armor/weapon is the best for that job.

It would seem Light Armor might be the best due to it's reduction in Magicka cost and the improved regen and everything?

As for weapon, how does the Restoration Staff work? Because it doesn't seem to heal even one hit point for me.

Also, would you say the abilities from Restoration Staff line are generally better for healing than those from the Restoring Light path?

Is templar even the best healer?
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Most of these are subjective, but yes if you want to heal, it puts a heavy load on your magicka, and you'll want to use at least 5 pieces of light armor at minimum probably. The restoration staff itself actually attacks things when you do a light/heavy click and not heal, this way you can actually do some damage if you choose. ALl of it's heals use it's skill line, the first skill in particular is a ranged aoe heal.

Typically I find Templar heals have more burst heal capability than a resto staff heal. However, resto staff heals are far less magicka intensive which makes them more spammable. So really whichever you prefer is all about playstyle.

Either way you go with a healer, you can be exceptionally effective if played well.

Restoration staff is also a good idea due to it's passives, which can regen magicka. That is very beneficial to a Templar at times.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Im 2 handed dps/healer. The main healing stuff you want from the templar are the healing ultimate (amazing oh *** button and the second healing skill) (first healing skill is very mana intensive) Then take the aoe heal and upgrade regeneration to mutagen and your good to go for at least the first 22 levels :)

In dungeons i generally smack people with my sword and stamina skills, to switch to resto staff when i notice our group healer going oom. Toss out some aoe heals and mutagens, switch back to 2 hander, and charge in again.

Having a hybrid dps/healer makes dungeons a lot more doable!
    For armor id advise going 4/3 on whatever you do. Heavy armor helps out in those times when you do get focussed.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    So, wouldn't other classes make decent healers as well if they used a Restoration Staff?

Also what Guild would you say I should join as a healing templar?
  • BKTHNDR
    BKTHNDR
    ✭✭✭
    I would say the biggest difference between the Resto staff and Templar healing abilities is that Resto heals are HoT (heal over time) spells while Templar heals are burst heals. Burst heals would obviously be optimal if you're going for full time healing but the Resto staff is good for back-up healing.

I currently run a healing Templar. I'm using Templar skills as my main healing skills and I run with the Resto staff strictly for the passive abilities.
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    Ah, alright good to know. Though the Resto passives don't seem to be that great.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Restoration staff is great for one thing alone: its heavy attack restores 10% of your magicka on the final hit. This is an innate ability of the staff, not a passive.

Templars in particular lack active means of magicka restoration (e.g. Sorcerer's Dark Exchange), so having a Restoration staff as a Templar healer greatly improves your performance in longer battles.
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    You want resto staff primarily for 10% mana back on heavy attack, imo.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Combine resto heals with templar heals for best effect, nothing better then having BOTH burst for ''o ****'' situation, and HOTs for topping up your team health bars. What makes templar way better healer then other classes is fact that templar have cleansing skills, and nice buffs for restoration as well.

Also its only class which can play support healer, as templar healing is not bound to weapon line, but class skill line. SO for example 1h+shield for bit tanking and melee debuffs+HOTs+restoration buff will make you amazing support class.
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    Oh didn't know about the 10% magicka back at final hit, that's neat.

Do other weapons have similar perks, and where do I see them?
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    Figured I add this question here, because we're already talking about Healers.

Today's patchnotes has this sentence in it:
    Reduced the percentage required to gain credit for a kill for healers that were healing an ally.

I assume that only refers to non-grouped allies?
    Because I do hope that when I'm healing in a dungeon and the group kills trashmobs and doesn't need healing, I still get credit for the kills.