Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What are the good points of the templar?

Nox_Aeterna
Nox_Aeterna
✭✭✭✭✭
So im still picking my main and i found the templar , atleast low lvl , to be fun, but i dont want to lvl a class that is not really worthy it when compared to the others.

I thought the templar would be atleast called to heal , but that is not really true since his healing tree is irrelevant when compared to the resto staff. The DK seems to be able to tank 100x times better than the templar. Well , dps anyone can do.

Ofc , these are the perceptions of a low lvl player using the forums + checking skill calculators and so on.

So my question is , anyone got positive points to the templar im missing , or is he just a jack of all trades master of none char?
Edited by Nox_Aeterna on 1 April 2014 14:23
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
-Hanlon's razor
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Templar is the best healer.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ability to heal at all without a resto staff equipped is a nice perk at least.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the templar would be atleast called to heal , but that is not really true since his healing tree is irrelevant when compared to the resto staff.

It's not an either or; when it comes to end game healing, I'm going to suggest that a mix of both types of spell will be useful. The resto staff seems to contain the efficient heals to tick groups over, but the templar class line has a number of good emergency heals.

Bottom line, though, is that we won't know for a good half year as not many have experience of end game and things could change anyway.
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    The Templar will be more versatile (nb: not necessarily "better") than any other healer due to having Restoring Light skills available. It is also the only class that can do substantial healing with some other weapon equipped, though it's recommended to have a resto staff to switch to for at least the passives.

Dragon Knight has a few more tools useful to tanking, but I think a hundred times better isn't true. Templar's self healing and CC options make it competitive; I've often seen people speculate that it will make the second best tank.

Plus, it stands to reason that they wouldn't release a class that wasn't "worth it."
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars have been tweaked the last few patches. I think ZOS is still trying to find a sweet spot for the class.

Regardless, Templars can preform any role in the game. But that kind of versatility comes at a cost, it may not be the best at anyting. (Except healing, but I'm a biast Templar healer.) Also, the players skill and creativity play a role in how sucessful any class preforms.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thank everyone for responding.

Well , the templar from what i understood requires the resto staff to heal , otherwise it will run out of magicka, but i can see why you guys said it my still be the best healer since it has access to 2 kinds of heal.

I actually wonder if the templar can even dps with the destro staff and using class skills and keep the magicka up , or if it would run out quite fast later in the game.

And sorry , i should have worded it differently , i mean not worth it for me , like i said , i dont really like the whole jack of all trades master of none thing.

I dont a mind a class that got a main role and can do many (or just can do many quite well) , but a class that is made to perform many roles to compensate not mastering one is a problem.

Guess i will try to lvl a DK a bit more , before i make the call.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I first rolled a Templar to be Medium Armor/Bow/Off Healing spec...

It was terrible on my first Fungal Grotto run (EP newbie dungeon).

So i respecced to a DPS/Support caster (limited skills, only level 12, ~ 14-15 points).
    Light armor, Destruction Staff (resto or dual wield later), Dawn's Wrath first 2 abilities, all my dark elf traits (going for the 4th on that gives 3% to fire damage per rank), and took an Undaunted skill to level that line. Lots of cool support/CC in the undaunted Skill Line.

I'm now a force to be reckoned with. 1-2 shots on enemies, Fire Damage does near nothing to m e at low levels (take that scamps!!)
    Edited by jambam817_ESO on 1 April 2014 16:01
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, after this Templar experiment, i am making a Nightblade, Heavy Armor, Siphon & Sword and Board tank :P sounds like a Shadow Knight a la Everquest to me
    Edited by jambam817_ESO on 1 April 2014 16:04
  • khai
    khai
    ✭✭
    As far as Templar healers go, the passives in Restoring Light are also pretty nice. It's the build I play, and I haven't had mana issues. Dumping my points into mana and using light armor have kept my pool large enough.

Another thing I find interesting about Templars, is the Aedric Spear line. I'm rolling a character with the intention of never using a weapon, leveling down the Aedric Spear branch. At low levels, the spear destroys things, but I'm curious to see how it performs at higher levels.
    You may say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the only one.
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    khai wrote: »
    Another thing I find interesting about Templars, is the Aedric Spear line. I'm rolling a character with the intention of never using a weapon, leveling down the Aedric Spear branch. At low levels, the spear destroys things, but I'm curious to see how it performs at higher levels.
    I noticed this too! Would be fun to add it as a Magic Melee move now and then :P no weapon required.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as Templar healers go, the passives in Restoring Light are also pretty nice. It's the build I play, and I haven't had mana issues. Dumping my points into mana and using light armor have kept my pool large enough.

Ic , yeah the spear line is pretty much my reason for liking this class , since i always wanted to use spears in games like this , but they never add the damm things.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • BearBiter
    BearBiter
    I'm … leveling down the Aedric Spear branch.

I tried this very thing, but haven't got very far yet. I'm kind of nervous about early game changes coming from the developers that might make this into a very bad idea.
  • BearBiter
    BearBiter

It was terrible on my first Fungal Grotto run.

I don't think play style or party composition should ever be overlooked at how "effective" a particular build is. I've always played a better cleric or defender type than a tank type, but I know plenty of people who are the opposite, and a few who always get us killed when they try to play tanks or healers (shout out to the 3/4 of CoH players who loved scrappers).
  • Myrddinman
    Myrddinman
    ✭✭
    I've rolled (sorry...DDO) about 5 characters so far and I am in love with my sword & board Templar; albeit, I am only level 8 at the moment (most of my characters are about the same level). Since I'm only soloing at the moment, I haven't taken anything from the healing line, but the Dawn's Wrath has some great abilities for ranged spell damage.

I agree that the spear abilities are devastating at these lower levels...not sure how they'll scale, but they sure are a ton of fun.
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    I say templars are the best healers because their class skills give them powerful flash heals that can really save a person when they get hit hard and fast. If you're just relying on heal DoTs to keep your group alive, you're going to be in for a surprise when someone takes a hit doing 3/4 their hp and your DoTs aren't strong enough to instantly refill their hp before getting hit again and finished off.

I'm not saying other classes can't heal with a resto staff, but those couple healing spells that a templar get really make them the ideal healer class if you're doing a hard dungeon or something.

• Miths
    Miths
    My templar is only level 10 but soloing I've found that I prefer to play him ranged. That means Sun Fire and Piercing Javelin (morphed, can't remember the names, but for Sun Fire it's the one that hits multiple targets) as my main ranged attacks/snare/knockback.
    I've been trying to use a destruction staff, but if I want to use weapon skills they dip heavily into my mana pool too, so for now at least I'm favouring the bow.
  • Visinji
    Visinji
    ✭✭
    I went sword and board with heavy armor chanted in magika boosts. I do carry a staff of each kind when the situation calls for their use. I solo quite a bit so I do use a mix of attack and healing spells. When I do happen upon a group who needs help, the healing spells do make a difference. I levelled up a nightblade and a dk, on the first few days, into the teens. But my templar is what I'm loving right now.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Burst heal from skill line+HOTs+cleansing spells+damage buff+restoration buff+decent DPS...Enough good points? :)
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭
    i play my Temp as a healer but use sun fire for my damage skill...I make my resto staves and put foul or other elemental damage glyphs on for added damage status'. I have very little to non-existent issues fighting things at or above my level by 1 or 2 levels. I quest solo, so I'm not worried about keeping up with other DPS...I can HoT others as they run by or heal a player having a tough time with a mob. In other games I HATED healing...but this game it actually feels decent. I'm usually the top DPS of my guild so having me heal is freaking out a lot of my guildies.I find it to be versatile and fun/challenging to play, more-so than the DK and NB...just my opinion though
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus is SUCH A SIMPLE task to preform on the run press the key and the person who needs it the most gets it. So when you see that guy struggling you cast heal and HE GETS IT.
    Other mmo's you gotta target him which can be a pain and by that time he's already dead.
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed! Being able to heal on the move is a HUGE plus!
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Healing ultimate. Best heal in the game, gives you time to regen mana, while you still heal.
    I play a 2 handed dmg/healer hybrid, using resto staff as my second skill line. Specialized characters (xcept tanks) I feel are not optimal in this game, especially when mana isnt infinite. 2 hybrid dps/healers using stam for dmg and mana for heals are waaaaay better than 1 focused healer and 1 focused dps.
    This way youl have 100% uptime on maximized dps and 100% uptime on heal.
    Templars imo fufill this role the best because they work wonders with both a bow as melee weapons.
    Sorcerer being second best because negate magic is op in group pulls.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Kronos
    Kronos
    i tank on my templar (main), and it is very easy, but very different than tanking on a DK. Not to mention when you get to level 15 you can Sword and board x2. I use my first set to tank, and my second as support - off heals. I tank with a friend who is a DK, and have much more survive-ability than he does. I personally think that end-game, the templar will be the more desired tank. Focus blocking and migration first, then aoe based damaged. You wont be sorry you did :)
    - Kronos Dawnbreaker
    The Septim Bloodline
    Guildmaster
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thank everyone for responding.

Well , the templar from what i understood requires the resto staff to heal , otherwise it will run out of magicka, but i can see why you guys said it my still be the best healer since it has access to 2 kinds of heal.

I actually wonder if the templar can even dps with the destro staff and using class skills and keep the magicka up , or if it would run out quite fast later in the game.

And sorry , i should have worded it differently , i mean not worth it for me , like i said , i dont really like the whole jack of all trades master of none thing.

I dont a mind a class that got a main role and can do many (or just can do many quite well) , but a class that is made to perform many roles to compensate not mastering one is a problem.

Guess i will try to lvl a DK a bit more , before i make the call.

At low level every magic user runs out of magic fast when healing. However if you stack your gear correctly, choose the right racial bonus, and look for the set bonus gear stuff magic pool and magic use is a managed process. The Templar class has 3 great skill lines. Heal Tank and DPS don't underestimate the seriousness of the potential. For a light armor player I was able to solo the last boss in BC at level 15 on my Templar.
  • TheAurelian
    Atm the aspect of Templar that most bothers me and has since beta is that it's the same vet armor type as Dragon Knight with a different color palette. I find that to be fairly unacceptable.
    “Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost...." -Hiromu Arakawa-
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to wield bow on my char, was confused between Nightblade (with its siphon boons) or Templar. I ended up with templar bow. So far so good, but I feel so squishies
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Anazasi wrote: »
    For a light armor player I was able to solo the last boss in BC at level 15 on my Templar.

Is that your way of telling us you let everyone die and had to solo it? ;)
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    Atm the aspect of Templar that most bothers me and has since beta is that it's the same vet armor type as Dragon Knight with a different color palette. I find that to be fairly unacceptable.

If it makes you feel better, try thinking of it as the poor DK has to wear Templar's armor, but in a different color. :blush: