Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Highest Possible Settings! How Much Should I Be Saving Up?

Jadman
Jadman
Soul Shriven
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I am currently saving up for a new Desktop to play this game with a mind-blowingly, beautiful setting. My laptop I use for school runs the game at about Medium graphics, which is somewhat sad, but not unplayable. My question is, If I have someone with experience build a computer for me using parts from Newegg and other related sites, how much should I realistically be willing to spend for Ultra-High Graphics?
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by having a look here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

The site is very useful with some products being able to directly link to vendors selling them and you should get a good idea from that as far as what you'll need.

Just be mindful with any of the nvidia cards if you are using windows hate, or hate point one. It's very easy to get the black screen of nothingness as there are bugger all drivers available that won't cause a crash. Even Omega drivers that are stipped back have no support yet for windows 8/8.1
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• ShiBu
    ShiBu
    ✭✭✭
    cpu : Intel i7-4770K 4x 3.50 ghz / 295 €
    mainboard : gigabyte z87x / 75€
    ram : 8 gig ( can be totaly random 1333/1666 ) 75 €
    power : something from "be quiet" arround 40 - 50 €
    rig : 20 € ( with 3 fans )
    gpu : amd 7970 or gtx 680 arround 220 € ( this is enough )
    ssd : crucial 240 gb for 90 € and some cheap 30 € backup with 1 TB

so... between 845 to 950 € ( put it x1.35 for $ ).

as bonus a alpenfoehn brocken for your cpu its arround 40-50 € ( but the boxed cpu fan will do it too ).

this setup will have NO problems at ALL to play the game at ultra w/o fps drops at all !

if you dont wana spend that much money..
    1.replace the cpu with an AMD FX 8350 8x4ghz 150 € ( mainboard gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ( same price as the other )
    2. amd radeon R9 270X 150 €

just for the info why the amd cpu is so much cheaper.. it got arround 25% less gaming power as the intel... but that shouldnt be a bottleneck for EOS at all.

Edited by ShiBu on 2 April 2014 03:08
  • Sacklunch
    Sacklunch
    ✭✭
    You should be able to do it with $500 or less. The real trick is keeping your GPU cool so get a good fan setup on your GPU. The game doesn't use much on the CPU side I got a 4 core 3.4ghz and it runs at like 30% most all the time. If you cant get a decent pc put together with $500 or less your getting ripped off.....
    Edited by Sacklunch on 2 April 2014 03:22
  • ShiBu
    ShiBu
    ✭✭✭
    Sacklunch wrote: »
    You should be able to do it with $500 or less. The real trick is keeping your GPU cool so get a good fan setup on your GPU. The game doesn't use much on the CPU side I got a 4 core 3.4ghz and it runs at like 30% most all the time. If you cant get a decent pc put together with $500 or less your getting ripped off.....

amd 955 BE ? :P 50 €
    mainboard ( gigabyte 770 udp ) 35 €
    power : 45 € ( i wouldnt use cheapte stuff at all !!! )
    ram : 8 gig 75€
    gpu : on the lowest you could possible go "and thats just a maybe" is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 for 140 €

no rig no ssd no screen no keyboard / mouse .. and loud fans... great..
    so how on earth can you do it with 500 $ ... your prices are so low over there ( my prices including 19% taxes ) ?

he wana be sure to play on ultra.. and iam pretty DAMN sure that you cant build a pc for 500 $ to run EOS on ULTRA settings.

its not about getting your gpu cooled.. bc it doesnt matter at all when the gpu cant handle ultra graphics .. and even my OC 5870 is on trouble in some areas.
    just for your info.. my dual gpu cooling system did cost 75 €.

but i ill stop argueing now... since that guy gives ya detailed infos... non or less the biggest part have to be the gpu... and everything below 150 € is just .. plain stupid.
    Edited by ShiBu on 2 April 2014 03:44
  • SirLee
    SirLee
    ✭✭
    An i5 should b just as capable as an i7 for this game. It does not even come close to maxing out the i5-3450 I have been running it on. So save on the CPU and spend that on the GPU. You will want one with at lest 2GB of GDDR5 memory. Get the best one you can afford. I like the AMD R9 280 that is currently in my gaming system. But, to be honest pick the brand you like the best and the most powerfull card you can afford.

If you want this system to last, get a high quality power supply. Sea Sonic makes some of the best. Make sure you have lots of quality cooling as well. Three things kill systems fast. *** power, poor cooling, and mistreatment. You can fix the first two by picking good components, but I can not help you with the third.
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious. Sun Tzu
  • Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    I built a computer for $620 last summer that runs ESO on ultra at 55 FPS. The only time I ever get lag is when my router glitches out and the wifi skips a few. So basically, never get lag from the game or the computer.
    I have the full specs at home that I will share when I get there. The specs that ShiBu posted are excessive and outrageously expensive, over double what a basic gaming pc should cost. Almost $1200, when you can get a rig that will play any game from last year on ultra for $600 (with some smart shopping and waiting for deals/promotions).

Just a general tip about building a computer: Do Research! If you find a part or brand you like, look into it, look into the competitors, look into similar models by other companies and the next model up. I spent a month researching all the parts and figuring out what works together, what doesn't, what's excessive compared to the rest.... ect. You get the idea. Then I spent another month watching for prices to adjust (ended up saving $100 that way and getting free games to boot).
    Go to tomshardware/ and post your hypothetical rig there when you finally find parts, and listen to what the folks there have to say. Heck, I bet you could even post the OP question there and they could link you a rig.
    Lastly, THIS is your friend. That will let you know about promotions going on for parts you find (i.e. I bought my $90 ram card for $15 because I bought a certain brand of GPU). You can also save your rigs, keep an eye on price drops (even get alerts if a piece hits a certain mark), and is just generally your best friend while you build a computer.
    ShiBu wrote: »
    but i ill stop argueing now... since that guy gives ya detailed infos... non or less the biggest part have to be the gpu... and everything below 150 € is just .. plain stupid.

No, that's just biased. A gpu around 200 is standard, but not necessary. You can get by with one around the $150 mark just fine, and if you watch the prices you can even snag a 200 for 150 or get a 150 for under a 100.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Keep in mind that you will need to buy the OS. If you are a college student, look into any special offers they have at your university. A lot of schools offer licenses for a significant discount to students (windows 7 64-bit ultimate for $20 at my school, windows 8 is free). If not you will be shelling out a penny for your software.
    Edited by Aureli on 2 April 2014 05:18