Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Leveling new weapons

Jastl
Jastl
I don't understand something. It looks like I gain experience with weapons or armor as I kill things. But only if the opponent is at my level or above -- don't seem to gain even a small amount when a threshold is reached. So, what if I want to gain a new weapon that I've never used before much later? Like if I face a creature at level 30 with a level 0 sword. I've tried that at my lower level now (10) and die a lot.
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    Try it on lower enemies and see if it works. Or get a better weapon.
  • scabrous_ftz
    scabrous_ftz
    ✭✭
    The better approach to level the new weapon quickly is to switch to the level 0 sword before turning in quests. You will get a bigger boosts in weapon progression than via mobs.
  • slander36
    slander36
    ✭✭✭
    Equipping before quest turn in is a great way, true. You also get XP for just exploring, reading books, unlocking chests, etc. I would suggest crafting a weapon as close to your level as possible and just running around the world with it. Put at least 1 skill point into it so you level it up faster (and have some actual damage output). Most weapons seem viable after the second skill or so, assuming you put enough skill points into your class.
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a skill in a weapon line, and it's on your bar, you gain XP to that skill and the weapon associated with it no matter what weapon you are using.

For instance, I use a 2H for random PvE, but have Regeneration (Restoration Staff) and Poison Arrow (Bow) on my bar. I'm gaining skill in all three weapons at the same time.
  • Miths
    Miths
    Darrett wrote: »
    If you have a skill in a weapon line, and it's on your bar, you gain XP to that skill and the weapon associated with it no matter what weapon you are using.

For instance, I use a 2H for random PvE, but have Regeneration (Restoration Staff) and Poison Arrow (Bow) on my bar. I'm gaining skill in all three weapons at the same time.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

• Jastl
    Jastl
    Cool. Thanks for all the great info!
  • narcolepticjedi

This is a really useful tip that I wish more people were aware of. I use this strategy as well but I think most people don't realize that you don't actually have to use a weapon to level it up. Just invest one skill point to get it started, then put that skill into the quick bar.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭

Wow that is an awesome piece of advice. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I have done is take the time before level 10 to level all the weapons to at least level 5. That way I have them started to a useful level.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭

Is this working as intended though? I'd like to be certain it's not an exploit before I share this tip with my friends.
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭

Is this working as intended though? I'd like to be certain it's not an exploit before I share this tip with my friends.

I don't think there's an issue. If you put a class skill on your bar it levels both that skill and the class line associated with it, this is just doing the same thing with weapons. You do seem to get less XP in the line for not using the weapon (my 2H skill is higher than the other two), so I'd treat it as WAI.