Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lag & Random Disconnects Fixed (PC NA)

xRIVALENx
xRIVALENx
✭✭✭
May have come across a fix and a potential problem on your end ZOS. After blocking one of your IP addresses ( 198.20.200.152 ) which was giving me re-transmissions, my lag and random disconnects have up and disappeared. Will keep you posted as to whether it comes back or not.

*EDIT*

The addresses below are currently what I have blocked:

198.20.198.110/32 - Picked up this address from the server crashes on January 13th

198.20.200.25/32 - Picked up this address from the server crashes on January 13th
198.20.200.152/32
198.20.200.153/32
198.20.200.162/32
Edited by xRIVALENx on 14 January 2017 13:24
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Still running smooth as of this morning, you have yourself a routing issue which has been mentioned previously.
  • Morty2016
    Morty2016
    Soul Shriven
    +1 on this - have been having a lot of random disconnections since last patch. Blocked the IP's provided by Rivalen and not had an issue since :)
    Silvastra - Breton Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Castius Henn - Imperial Magicka Templar - DC
  • Kiergan_Tyrloc
    Kiergan_Tyrloc
    Soul Shriven
    I tried blocking these ports and wasn't able to login at all. This is starting to get ridiculous. I'm constantly getting booted to login from 2pm - 9pm (PST). I get that those are peak hours for NA but, getting dropped every 10 seconds is unacceptable.

*edit*
    I didn't setup the firewall rule correctly. This works ;)
    Edited by Kiergan_Tyrloc on 9 January 2017 22:51
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Glad it helped! May have found another address that is acting up (198.20.200.153), going to keep an eye on it.
  • Zeddakis
    Zeddakis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issues. Some days I have no issues at all and others I keep getting disconnected every 5-10 minute. How did you go about blocking the IP addresses? Under Network Services Filter on your router firewall?
  • okrkas
    okrkas
    ✭✭
    Edited by okrkas on 17 January 2019 05:14
  • okrkas
    okrkas
    ✭✭
    Edited by okrkas on 17 January 2019 05:14
  • Zeddakis
    Zeddakis
    ✭✭✭
    I found where to set the rule up on my computer's firewall. Same question as Okrkas should it be inbound, outbound, or both?
  • Longhorn90
    Hello xRIVANENx and thanks for creating this thread. I've been having this same problem since I started back playing ESO again about 2 weeks ago. I get randomly logged out without any error messages and it can happen anywhere from 5-30 minutes after logging in. I can't seem to narrow it down to any specific action (changing zones, teleporting, at a crafting table, etc). It has happened with all of these activities. I opened a support ticket and provided as much detail as possible about my setup and the symptoms I've been seeing. Unfortunately I've had a very poor experience with support so far with 5 different support techs responding to my thread with each one simply copy/pasting a generic scripted response. Its clear they have not paid attention to my initial case submittal as they are asking me things I clearly documented in the notes.

I know that I have a big enough Internet pipe with my 200/20 ISP plan. I play many other MMO's with none of the types of issues I am seeing currently with ESO with the random disconnected and drops out to the login screen. I've taken your advice and entered some of the IP address you listed above into my Router's Blocked IP list but not sure I can say that I've seen any improvement.

ESO IT definitely has something going on here from an infrastructure perspective. Hope it gets acknowledged and resolved soon as this is making the game very unplayable. Not sure how to get my support case escalated to someone that actually is interested in working with me to help narrow down the root cause of the problem. Very frustrating especially since I had just purchased an ESP Plus subscription.

Clark
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies, it has been a rather busy couple of work days here. Personally I use Kaspersky firewall packet rules to block both inbound and outbound traffic to those IP addresses. If you happen to have Windows Firewall active you should be able to block them by setting up a custom inbound and outbound rule.
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Longhorn90 wrote: »
    Hello xRIVANENx and thanks for creating this thread. I've been having this same problem since I started back playing ESO again about 2 weeks ago. I get randomly logged out without any error messages and it can happen anywhere from 5-30 minutes after logging in. I can't seem to narrow it down to any specific action (changing zones, teleporting, at a crafting table, etc). It has happened with all of these activities. I opened a support ticket and provided as much detail as possible about my setup and the symptoms I've been seeing. Unfortunately I've had a very poor experience with support so far with 5 different support techs responding to my thread with each one simply copy/pasting a generic scripted response. Its clear they have not paid attention to my initial case submittal as they are asking me things I clearly documented in the notes.

I know that I have a big enough Internet pipe with my 200/20 ISP plan. I play many other MMO's with none of the types of issues I am seeing currently with ESO with the random disconnected and drops out to the login screen. I've taken your advice and entered some of the IP address you listed above into my Router's Blocked IP list but not sure I can say that I've seen any improvement.

ESO IT definitely has something going on here from an infrastructure perspective. Hope it gets acknowledged and resolved soon as this is making the game very unplayable. Not sure how to get my support case escalated to someone that actually is interested in working with me to help narrow down the root cause of the problem. Very frustrating especially since I had just purchased an ESP Plus subscription.

Clark

I'd suggest blocking the addresses on your computer instead of the router, may have better results doing that. If you are still having connectivity issues after that I'd be glad to help by going over a packet capture with you. It really is a shame Zenimax isn't solving the problem, we post these things in order to help them diagnose problems, find solutions and better their game. It is really unfortunate that they are deaf to our issues and recommendations.

• Zeddakis
    Zeddakis
    ✭✭✭
    xRIVALENx, thanks for taking the time to share what you found and helping the community. I have Kaspersky firewall also, so I'm going to try what you suggested and hopefully it fixes my issues.

• Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Rivalen! Trying this now.
    Utter malacrchy that Zenimax isnt fixing this.

Problem for me started at last patch.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    198.20.198.110 is having a rough time this evening, may want to add that one to the blocked list.
  • Zeddakis
    Zeddakis
    ✭✭✭
    I set up the firewall packet rules in Kaspersky, but then I found I was having trouble logging in. I would get stuck at the character screen with the message requesting character load. I would stay there and never log into the game.
  • Longhorn90
    Hi xRIVALENx,

I downloaded Wireshark today and started a capture just before I logged into ESO. After about 20 minutes I was dropped out to the login screen (no error messages). I ALT-TAB'd out and stopped the capture. When the disconnect occurred it looks like I was getting several TCP Spurious Retransmissions from 198.20.200.26 and 198.20.200.36. These packets were color coded in black background. I'm not a wizard with packet capture but would definitely be open to having you take a look at the file to see if I am on the right track.

I'd be happy to send you a PM if you are open to further dialogue on this,.

Thanks,
    Clark
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Was this happening on specific characters or just in general?
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Hi xRIVALENx,

I downloaded Wireshark today and started a capture just before I logged into ESO. After about 20 minutes I was dropped out to the login screen (no error messages). I ALT-TAB'd out and stopped the capture. When the disconnect occurred it looks like I was getting several TCP Spurious Retransmissions from 198.20.200.26 and 198.20.200.36. These packets were color coded in black background. I'm not a wizard with packet capture but would definitely be open to having you take a look at the file to see if I am on the right track.

I'd be happy to send you a PM if you are open to further dialogue on this,.

Thanks,
    Clark

Would be glad to help, send me a message. In the meantime try blocking those addresses and see what happens. Worst case you would have to unblock them again if the game won't let you in of course.
  • Longhorn90
    xRIVALENx wrote: »

Would be glad to help, send me a message. In the meantime try blocking those addresses and see what happens. Worst case you would have to unblock them again if the game won't let you in of course.

Hi xRIVALENx,

I may be missing something but I don't see a way to send you a PM on this forum system.
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Zeddakis wrote: »
    I set up the firewall packet rules in Kaspersky, but then I found I was having trouble logging in. I would get stuck at the character screen with the message requesting character load. I would stay there and never log into the game.

May be the server acting up as well, seems to be having a difficult time tonight.
  • Azramel
    Azramel
    ✭✭✭
    +1 on this issue. My friends, a bunch of people in zone chat, and myself disconnected with extreme lag (my ping got near 15000) 4 or 5 times today. My buddy was in a group dungeon and was receiving zone chat from deshaan when he lagged out. The IP block didnt work for me. Anyone know if ZOS made any comments or acknowledged the problem?
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't heard a peep from ZOS but our group was booted a couple times last night during pledges. Apparently it had been happening all day.

Yeah there were a couple offending IP addresses that were really causing havoc, only caught a couple of addresses though. I'm sure more will show up with the server stability going down.
    Edited by xRIVALENx on 14 January 2017 13:01
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭

Hi xRIVALENx,

I may be missing something but I don't see a way to send you a PM on this forum system.

If you load up my profile there should be a message button in there somewhere around the top.

• Longhorn90
    xRIVALENx wrote: »

If you load up my profile there should be a message button in there somewhere around the top.

I don't see a way to PM you but I think its because I still have 'Soul Shriven' status and will not have the ability to use forum PM until I get at least one star on my profile. Not sure how that works but you might be able to PM me to get around that. If you can I'll share my private e-mail with you and could then send you a copy of my packet capture.

Clark
  • iTatox
    iTatox
    Soul Shriven
    hi, i tried to block inbound and outbound traffic with Kaspersky but i cant log in at all, any way to fix it?
  • Bazgrim
    Bazgrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Controlled node blocking, how interesting.

Reduced my MS from ~140 to ~80, nice change.
    Are you monitoring hops from east coast, central or west coast?
    Alpha / Beta Participant / Software Engineering UG
    Author of StopIt!
  • Kiergan_Tyrloc
    Kiergan_Tyrloc
    Soul Shriven
    Update for me,

Blocking the IP's (Inbound) worked really well for a few days. Now, I'm getting kicked frequently again. It's mainly during peak hours, but it's frustrating as hell to not be able to play for more than 3 minutes before getting kicked.

I'm blocking through Norton. Should I block through the router itself?

Also, can addon's cause this?

I'm currently running

Azurah
    FTC (only the buff/debuff monitor)
    Harven's Item Stat
    Harven's Trait and Style
    Lorebooks
    Lost Treasure
    Minimap (fyrakin)
    Skyshards
    Slightly Improved Exp Bar

Some of these are no longer being updated by the author.

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'll look somewhere for my gaming until I can play without drops.

*edit*

I figured I should also mention I'm using the Steam client.
    Edited by Kiergan_Tyrloc on 28 January 2017 21:39
  • rt.gamemailb14_ESO
    rt.gamemailb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Just want to add in that the game has been unplayable for me for the entire day of 1/28/17. I have tried blocking the listed IP addresses to no success. I'll give Wireshark a parse tomorrow and see if I can spot any outliers, but I also am getting kicked every few minutes and having lag spikes CONSTANTLY. The game is unplayable in this state. I feel all of your pain.

If only Zenimax stood by their product with proper support. Shame
  • Creepsley
    Creepsley
    ✭✭✭
    still having major problems here, blocked the ones you have listed but still unplayable, cant even be online long enough to do a dolmen, twice in a row i got dc'd just at the end of it so its finished when i get in again and i ofc get no credit..

have wireshark, but dont really understand it hehe.
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I found the reason for my problems. 3 days ago i changed some Parameters, under Performance, of my Kaspersky Security Suite. Today i went back to Default and since than i have no longer any problem.