Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Game doesn't recognize usb headphones unless I restart

Teeg
Teeg
✭✭✭
There are times throughout the day when I need to be able to play quietly. For most games, I simply mute the sound then, but I enjoy the sound effects and music in ESO and find that having the background noises helps with immersion.

The problem is that in order for the game to recognize the headphones, I have to go into system preferences and set my speakers to usb and then completely restart my game. While most of my apps recognize the headphones as soon as I plug them in, ESO requires that I change the settings before I start the game.

Also, when I don't need the headphones anymore and want to switch over to the computer speakers, I can switch once. If I add the headphones again after that, the game recognizes them, but if I remove them again, the game will not play over the computer speakers.
Mara's Tester <3 Psijic Order <3 Sidekick Order <3 Karma Chameleon
She Who Explores >:) She Who Wanders >:) Te-ge >:) She Who Wonders (EU)
Mara's Moxie <3 The Sidekick Order <3 The Psijic Order
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I game takes the default setting set in Sounds > Output at launch. It doesn't have any way to chose another source in-game currently. That's why it doesn't recognise them when plugged in after launch.

Not sure on the second part. I just tested and with Headset selected in default in Sound then I launch the game and it plays via my headset. If I remove the headset usb it switches to the internal speakers (without changing in Sounds) plugging in the headset again doesn't change it from internal speakers.

So different from your experience again. Maybe to do with the USB headset functionality. I used Sennhieser headset.

I find in Mavericks that I have to unplug and plug in the headset USB every time I boot my Mac as there has been some ongoing problem with it generally with usb audio.
  • Teeg
    Teeg
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for testing, @Moonraker. Mine are Logitech. I'll have to double check later to see what I did to be able to hear the second time. I know I had to click something, but I was only half paying attention and it just seemed logical at the time, LOL, and now I can't remember how I got it to work. :blush:
    Mara's Tester <3 Psijic Order <3 Sidekick Order <3 Karma Chameleon
    She Who Explores >:) She Who Wanders >:) Te-ge >:) She Who Wonders (EU)
    Mara's Moxie <3 The Sidekick Order <3 The Psijic Order
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teeg wrote: »
    Thanks for testing, @Moonraker. Mine are Logitech. I'll have to double check later to see what I did to be able to hear the second time. I know I had to click something, but I was only half paying attention and it just seemed logical at the time, LOL, and now I can't remember how I got it to work. :blush:
    No problem. I always forget the useful things ;)
  • jluceyub17_ESO
    jluceyub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Necro thread, but this is still an issue.
  • Angus
    Angus
    ✭✭✭
    (delete)
    Edited by Angus on 29 January 2016 18:26
    Angus of Noquar franchise.
    And some others.