Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Damage over Time: I suggest a change.

Zsymon
Zsymon
✭✭✭✭
Damage over time abilities in this game are very weak, they barely add any DPS to your rotation. So to increase their viability, I suggest that the DoT part of any skill should penetrate all damage shields, as well as block. This indirectly allows you to increase DPS with DoT abilities, and allows you to partially counter block-casters as well as shield spammers, or at least keep some amount of pressure on them.

This means if someone has block up, or has a damage shield, if you cast an ability with a DoT on them, they will be afflicted with the DoT through block or through the shield, and the damage ticks also wouldn't be prevented by the damage shield, the damage would go right through, unaffected by the shield.
Edited by Zsymon on 6 April 2015 11:15
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this would add a great deal of viability to the many DoT skills no one ever uses in PvP.

Keep in mind there is still a way to counter DoTs, simply by cleansing them. But if anything it adds a deeper dimension to PvP, as most people right now don't need to bother slotting a cleanse in their build.
    Edited by Zsymon on 6 April 2015 11:14
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed! I initially rolled a caster NB for a sustained damage/pressure type DoT build modeled after WoW's Shadowpriest, only to find out DoTs are pretty bad in this game aside from a DK skill or two that are melee... Typically DoTs do several times the damage of a nuke, but over a longer period of time like 15-20s or so. Our best DoT (Crippling Grasp) is only ~2x the damage of a single Funnel Health which isn't saying much as its one of the weaker nukes in the game.

It would be great to see them penetrate through blocks and/or increase the damage + duration to really make them sustain/pressure type skills in contrast to the currently high burst type skills in the game. As a start it would be interesting to see Soul Trap's damage buffed, duration increased, and bypass block/shields. That way it can be tested in a class-agnostic way and then further implemented to class specific skills if successful.
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • Xandryah
    Xandryah
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you :love:

i'm missing DOT too..