Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dark Cloak

Armethius
Armethius
✭✭✭
it seems to me a lot of nightblades are using Dark Cloak successfully. can anyone good explain to me how i should use it? i use bow and 1h/sheild and I can't figure out how it helps me out... besides popping after ive been hit by seige.

do i pop it after sniping to go back into hiding?

what skill combos work well with it?

how does it help you escape if at all?

thanks!
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armethius wrote: »
    it seems to me a lot of nightblades are using Dark Cloak successfully. can anyone good explain to me how i should use it? i use bow and 1h/sheild and I can't figure out how it helps me out... besides popping after ive been hit by seige.

do i pop it after sniping to go back into hiding?

what skill combos work well with it?

how does it help you escape if at all?

thanks!

I use cloak to get out of dodge because my burst DPS always fails to take down my target...

To get away I just pop cloak, then double take to get a speed boost (blur morph), then cloak again. If I am not out of range yet, then I just keep recasting both until I am out of sight.
    Edited by akray21 on 1 April 2015 19:47
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You dodge roll, then hit cloak.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Fatalyis
    Fatalyis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the dodge roll is key.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak, reposition, stun enemy, burst, burst, burst, cloak, distance self, ranged ranged ranged, buff, cloak, stun, burst, burst, burst, cloak, fear, burst, burst, kill
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It helps if you have a decent amount of magicka because you will often need to spam the cloak furiously while mumbling don't die, don't die, don't die.
  • scy22b14_ESO
    scy22b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mage light, caltrops, detection potions, revealing flair, and many bugged morphs will bug out dark cloak. If you are attacked while trying to cloak with certain morphs (many of which were tested and /bugged on the PTS - and were ignored) then it will instantly pop you out of dark cloak as if you never used it. It will however use the magicka and make the sound.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure there's no torch bugs in your pockets too
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mage light, caltrops, detection potions, revealing flair, and many bugged morphs will bug out dark cloak. If you are attacked while trying to cloak with certain morphs (many of which were tested and /bugged on the PTS - and were ignored) then it will instantly pop you out of dark cloak as if you never used it. It will however use the magicka and make the sound.

This is also unfortunately true. Many skills, gap closers and wrecking blow especially will pretty much ignore the fact you cloak. Its very annoying. Be ready to block and use fear, then cloak.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is also unfortunately true. Many skills, gap closers and wrecking blow especially will pretty much ignore the fact you cloak. Its very annoying. Be ready to block and use fear, then cloak.

Cloak has been broken since launch, why is the #1 defensive NB ability being ignored?
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    Can't they just cut to the chase let let cloak give a .25 or .5 second immunity?
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • AltusVenifus
    AltusVenifus
    ✭✭✭
    Draehl wrote: »
    Can't they just cut to the chase let let cloak give a .25 or .5 second immunity?

Been said a million times, another option always brought up, is not damage immunity, but no damage breaks cloak... i.e. u hit cloak welcome to being invisible for 2.9 seconds. Counters in place are already enough IMO.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akray21 wrote: »

Cloak has been broken since launch, why is the #1 defensive NB ability being ignored?

ZoS hates us.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cloak is buggy, but not broken. All the times that I use it to escape people is clear proof that in a lot of situations, Cloak works. It's just that the situations in which it doesn't work almost always end up in death.

And there are way too many counters to Cloak. Seriously.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    Cloak is buggy, but not broken. All the times that I use it to escape people is clear proof that in a lot of situations, Cloak works. It's just that the situations in which it doesn't work almost always end up in death.

And there are way too many counters to Cloak. Seriously.

I hate dying because cloak bugged, when that happens I feel like I got cheated big time.
    Been said a million times, another option always brought up, is not damage immunity, but no damage breaks cloak... i.e. u hit cloak welcome to being invisible for 2.9 seconds. Counters in place are already enough IMO.

There are too many counters. I don't have a powerful counter to Green Dragons Blood, why should anyone have a powerful counter to cloak?
  • Kuro1n
    Kuro1n
    ✭✭✭
    The cloak is pretty fine, what is NOT fine is the *** detection potion.
  • morf87
    morf87
    ✭✭✭
    Kuro1n wrote: »

Doesn't seem fine for me, i always roll dodge before using cloak and still get pulled out of it by range or melle, its like a 50/50 whether it works or not, imagine if a class defining skill like bolt escape or green dragon blood failed to work half the time, there would be an uproar... a year.. a whole year and its still not working correctly :(
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    morf87 wrote: »
    Kuro1n wrote: »

Doesn't seem fine for me, i always roll dodge before using cloak and still get pulled out of it by range or melle, its like a 50/50 whether it works or not, imagine if a class defining skill like bolt escape or green dragon blood failed to work half the time, there would be an uproar... a year.. a whole year and its still not working correctly :(

Yes. Having cloak work 50% of the time would be like having Dragons Blood work 50% of the time, the skills is the most important skill a NB has.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    if you are a stamina build, then all you can do is roll dodge, use it, and pray to sithis.

if magicka build, spam the living crap out of it until the danged thing works(but not to much; don't waste all your magic on it)

with the 20-30 meter radius 41 second duration detection potions going around, you will have to take the already 50% chance of it working and split it in half, giving you 25%:/
    Edited by Cody on 3 April 2015 21:33
  • Ara_Valleria
    Ara_Valleria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak only works if you are aware of what is happening during your fight.
    Use cloak if you get hit with dots.
    However, clock will not get rid of debuffs.
    Use cloak for speed boost if you have concealed slotted.
    Use it to buff your next attack or use it for the stun from concealed weapon.
    If your opponent pops a detect pot then cloaking is useless and will just drain your magica (unless you can create enough distance to get out of the detect pot radius). Instead buff, heal, create distance and range him. Use double take/cripple + dodge roll to re position or escape if needed.

Also note i have noticed detect pots failing to reveal players sometimes, even when they are super close to you. Might be a bug. Planing on making a video soon for proof.
    Edited by Ara_Valleria on 4 April 2015 01:41
    °‡° ÁDAMANT °‡°
    The Addon Abusers, Exploiters & Macro'ers Refuge
    •••• | Ara Valleria - AD NightBlade | Templàra Valleria - AD Templar | Åra Valleria - AD DragonKnight | Ára V - AD DragonKnight | Ara Laifu - DC NightBlade | Ara Waifu - EP Sorcerer | ••••

••••••| YOUTUBE |••••••
    Want to take a break from all the Lagging|Crashing|Cancer ?
    Play Albion Online
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    - Use it to dodge abilities. Spot someone casting a Sorc bolt? Snipe? Mage guild Meteor? Charging towards you? Cloak.

- Use it to confuse enemies for example by teleporting to your Shadow Image and cloaking.

- Use it to get the jump on someone... Cloak all the way up to them and stun with Concealed Weapon or pop fear (fear works even if they're blocking btw). Proceed to burst them with dmg.

- Last but not least, use it to escape fights you cannot win :P

Cloak is easily my most used ability in PvP as a magica NB.

Don't use the Crit morph btw, You need the DoT removal to do manyof the things i mentioned above.
    Edited by Dudis on 4 April 2015 11:39
  • morf87
    morf87
    ✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    if you are a stamina build, then all you can do is roll dodge, use it, and pray to sithis.

Pretty much :(
    What i notice happening to me most the time is daedric curse and its morphs never get removed by dark cloak, i know daedric curse and morphs only hit once but surely as it ticks over time it is a "damage over time" ability not a debuff. Also desto staff heavy attacks and gap closers(crit rush,shielded charge) seem to hit me even after i have used dark cloak, this could be down to poor latency but god dam is it frustrating.
    Not sure if intended but testing dark cloak in pve, mobs that use the npc version of wrecking blow(yet to see if the same happens in pvp because seeing someone charging up wrecking blow i get the hell out the way if i can and dont want to chance it) always continue through the animation and land the hit which seems wrong to me.
    I don't want cloak to be op i just want it to work and be the class defining skill which makes you chose a NB, how many sorc's and DK players would still be playing there class if bolt escape and green dragon blood failed 50% of the time ?
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak is fine, what is not are detect potions that last for 30 secs (40 with passive) and work against invisibility. Detective pot are really cheap and you can make it with just 1 in alchemy.
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cloak is working fine imo, i cannot find you people right in front of my face even with detection potion. and you snipe monkeys are the worst, pop shot cloak leaving me dead in the dirt and i cannot figure out where the damn arrow even came from.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • jelliedsoup
    jelliedsoup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cloak is working fine imo, i cannot find you people right in front of my face even with detection potion. and you snipe monkeys are the worst, pop shot cloak leaving me dead in the dirt and i cannot figure out where the damn arrow even came from.

i enjoy sniping you. That said I'm only getting 14k at the moment. i need a buff.
    Edited by jelliedsoup on 7 April 2015 06:35
    www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ks8_KGHqmO4