Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

launcher crashing during "applying patch" phase

mattgbrowneub17_ESO
i downloaded the first four gig half of the 1.2.3 patch today. launcher "checks download" and clears the 4 gig patch then "applying patch" and is constantly freezing at the 18300mb mark. one time it went down to 18226mb then started glitching, went back to 18300, gives me pinwheel of death then whole computer freezes and i can just see the download per second dwindle down as Zenimax tries to break my f***** computer.

I've reinstalled the launcher, have no add ons installed and barely have anything on my comp at all besides ESO.

seriously at my wits end with these terribly implemented patches, and the launcher in general. what a ridiculous waste of time and energy.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try the Repair feature under Game Options in Launcher window. Let it run and hopefully fix any issue to allow it to complete correctly.

Are you connected via private home router or college or some other shared network. Similar issues can be caused by problems with the Launcher connecting to the server to check the version so Firewalls etc.
    Edited by Moonraker on 25 June 2014 16:12
    Options
  • mattgbrowneub17_ESO
    Is game options the "gear"-style icon? All I could find on there was changing the servers...ZOS told me to hit "cancel" and then repair, but the only button options I got were pause and resume. I tried reinstalling the launcher again ( probably a bad idea, I know, but I was freaking out) and now it is reinstalling the game from scratch. Hopefully this will work but I won't know for a few days because of sloooow DL speed (100-200 kbps). I'm half expecting to see the pinwheel of death on my screen when I get home from work though. Thanks for the input though, Moonraker you're super helpful on these Mac boards (sincerely). Would nice to see a mod response in the customer service forum though, instead of over in general discussion in a thread about jokes......
    Options
  • mattgbrowneub17_ESO
    Just saw your edit. I'm on a private wireless network. I dont know how to edit firewall settings (comptarded here), but ive seen that mentioned several tines after this most recent patch. I haven't really had issues with the launcher connecting before so not sure how that could be a new problem?
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is game options the "gear"-style icon? All I could find on there was changing the servers...ZOS told me to hit "cancel" and then repair, but the only button options I got were pause and resume. I tried reinstalling the launcher again ( probably a bad idea, I know, but I was freaking out) and now it is reinstalling the game from scratch. Hopefully this will work but I won't know for a few days because of sloooow DL speed (100-200 kbps). I'm half expecting to see the pinwheel of death on my screen when I get home from work though. Thanks for the input though, Moonraker you're super helpful on these Mac boards (sincerely). Would nice to see a mod response in the customer service forum though, instead of over in general discussion in a thread about jokes......
    Best to let the reinstall run fully now. Sometimes Repair is not shown as an option for some reason and needs the Cancel and check for Repair. Sometimes to switch off Auto Update off then back on can make it show. Or a more specific way to Cancel but let's see how the reinstall goes.

For the network stuff here is a list of related things to try including how to disable the Mac Firewall. If it's worked before I doubt it needs firewall change on router though opening up the correct ports may help. But try the reinstall first before trying other stuff.

Network Issues

Reset the DNS Cache

Step 1: Open the Terminal

Navigate to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Step 2: Flush DNS - Type the following command and hit enter.

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Press Return and enter password at prompt. Then try. or reboot then try.

Disable OS X Firewall

Also worth ensuring the OS X Firewall is switched off during download and that any router firewall is not blocking it in some way.

System Preferences > Secuirty & Privacy > Firewall

This is in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, It may be slightly different in other versions.

Reset DNCP lease

System Preferences > Network > Select the network you are connected to (indicated by green circle)> Click Advanced > Click Renew DHCP Lease

Change your DNS

Change your DNS settings to a public DNS server (non-ISP).

I used Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

On the Mac, to change the DNS server IP addresses go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced… > DNS

Note the existing ones usually automatically added by your ISP then change them for the Google ones of other you prefer. Remember to Apply changes after clicking OK when done.

Uncheck Auto Proxy Discovery

- Navigate to the System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
    - Open up Network in System Preferences. (Usually located in the third row, third icon.)
    - Make sure the network connection with a green dot next to it is selected.
    - Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner
    - From the drop down menu, click on Proxies.
    - In the "Select a protocol to configure" list
    - Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery”
    Options
  • mattgbrowneub17_ESO
    Awesome! I checked firewall settings and it was off. Will see if a reinstall works and then will try out the other tips. Thanks for the help!
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! I checked firewall settings and it was off. Will see if a reinstall works and then will try out the other tips. Thanks for the help!
    No problem. Good luck with it.
    Options
  • mattgbrowneub17_ESO
    Full reinstall got me back in! New patch seems really good from the little I got to play last night. Is it just me or do VR mobs seem a little easier? Might be Templar buffs but I was cruising with one hand and shield which was hard prepatch. Also vet xp seems buffed I got like 50k vet xp in two hours and only did like three quests two world bosses and a dolmen.

Also I think moving forward I shouldn't have to many launcher issues now that I'm aware of The game options drop down menu. I remember (maybe from beta?) That the repair option was on the left of the launcher under your server name and thought they removed it in a subsequent patch.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Full reinstall got me back in! New patch seems really good from the little I got to play last night. Is it just me or do VR mobs seem a little easier? Might be Templar buffs but I was cruising with one hand and shield which was hard prepatch. Also vet xp seems buffed I got like 50k vet xp in two hours and only did like three quests two world bosses and a dolmen.

Also I think moving forward I shouldn't have to many launcher issues now that I'm aware of The game options drop down menu. I remember (maybe from beta?) That the repair option was on the left of the launcher under your server name and thought they removed it in a subsequent patch.
    Glad it's working for you.

Yes they moved the functions a bit in a Launcher update a while back.
    Options