Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Would you like to see "sandbox" elements in Elder Scrolls Online?

ForTheRealm
ForTheRealm
✭✭✭
First of all I like Elder Scrolls world a lot. I think it is well thought and designed.
However, I find it a little bit too fixed and limited. I would really like to have some more influence on the environment, e.g. cut any tree in a forest, build a house, destroy a building etc.
Maybe it is not possible to change the whole game, but how about a special zone? How about a PVP zone where factions can build a stronghold or wall in any place, fight for resources like wood and stones...?
So what do you think about adding some "sandbox" elements to ESO?
Edited by ForTheRealm on 21 May 2014 08:21

Would you like to see "sandbox" elements in Elder Scrolls Online? 90 votes

Yes (it would make game more realistic and immersive)
85%
link428Khoraxdrowned.thought_ESOSinisterJointAlexanderTheGreatdChronusotis67AlurriaLeijonaSariiasKendaricaufischb16_ESONazon_KattsTurelusJD2013mark.markandb16_ESOblofthouse2004AlienSlofSeroczynskiGisgo 77 votes
No (I prefer fixed environment)
14%
VeeroGwarokDominoidfranziska.meyerb16_ESOSome_JerkNaattoriHejolanDimmurPastor25ApricotXstofAwayuki67Draconicus 13 votes
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because sandbox content isn't something you just blitz through and run out of things to do. True sandbox content means players create content for each other and keep each other amused for a very long time.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Zubba
    Zubba
    ✭✭✭
    pvp loot drops ftw
    Add PvP loot drops for some risk/reward in this game.

Captain Morgan Society
    Zub

How'd ya feel like scraping the barncles off me rudder.. Matey..
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    another stupid poll.
  • Teevesnacks
    Teevesnacks
    ✭✭✭
    I would totally play in a sandbox for ages
  • rusila22
    rusila22
    ✭✭✭
    But it's a dream right ??? zeni would never add sandbox element in TESO.
    Edited by rusila22 on 21 May 2014 10:34
    Rusila CP :600
    Title : Monster Hunter
    Currently : Beta Tester in Morrowind
  • MissKiwiana
    MissKiwiana
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not the PVP'er type - but I am all for cutting down trees and bashing the bejebbers outta some house - oh what fun to let the bot frustrations out on. >:)
    PC Platform all the way! Windows 10.
    Guilds I belong to: Lone Wolf Help & The Conclave of Shadows.
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but certainly not PvP only.

Maybe, when they come up with housing, they could think outside the box and give a housing zone that was that way. Huge instanced zones where you can build your house where you want (with limits) in a sandbox environment, with traveling merchants, some mobs, etc. but no quests, and areas to explore that aren't static.
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you could just go to Rust and gather your woods and stones and build your stronghold and defend it.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to understand why somebody would rate No on this one, but honestly things you are asking for is a fantasy anyway :D

Sure they could at least make some housing system on a bigger scale, but that would take hell of a lot of development. Try to imagine what it would take to sandbox whole game.

My idea however is that it should stick to the realism:
    • If you've put a lot of effort in PvP then you should be able to build fort, garrison etc.
    • If you are more of a crafty type then you could have a village providing you with some benefits for professions.
    • Not sure how I'd do housing with those that are doing well in PvE, but some trophies would be nice.

It's just an idea, ofc I'd like it more detailed and all, but it's something to begin with at least :D So yeah housing is something they should be able to do, I just hope they will be able to deliver!
    Edited by Bloodfang on 21 May 2014 11:54
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    Quests are currently 75% of the game. Expansions are all about new quest / new dungeons..Meanwhile all the other activities are left to what they were at release. More or less finished. No real progress to balance them or make them more interesting.

A few examples:
    - Fishing is just implemented in an alpha state. It's a placeholder.
    - Alchemy does not have poison, and 90% of the people make the 3 attributes potions. Because they are still more valuable and efficient than the 192 other possible ones (why don't they just implement separate cooldown?).
    - Gathering mats for provisioning is too simple.
    - VR ranks are all about quests: less chests, no exploration xp, provisioning is not even implemented for VR1-VR5.
    - The thief system which prevents people from stealing any npc house is not a priority.
    - PvP is all about keeps control. Where are all the other incentives and parallel game systems?
    - No real random find/meeting/events..the world is too much static and scripted.
    - The weather has no impact on the gameplay. And it's client side... You could have rain when your group mate is under the sun..
    - Etc etc

I'm sad because I think that these and all the other possible sandbox features and activities would bring so much to the world.

Look at a game like Age of Wushu: so many different game systems. When you log, you just choose what you're going to do this day. It's open, diversified, balanced and random. And it's true since day one. This game sandbox features list makes TESO looks like a theme park nightmare...
    Edited by grizzbi on 21 May 2014 12:37
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Archeage.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    No (I prefer fixed environment)
    Edited by Gwarok on 21 May 2014 12:58
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• MissKiwiana
    MissKiwiana
    ✭✭✭

Archeage.

Had to look up this game and I liked what I saw and just purchased the most expensive pack. So guess what I'll be playing. Bye bye bots. :D

PC Platform all the way! Windows 10.
    Guilds I belong to: Lone Wolf Help & The Conclave of Shadows.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Archeage.

Had to look up this game and I liked what I saw and just purchased the most expensive pack. So guess what I'll be playing. Bye bye bots. :D

Bye bye ESO bots, hello Archeage bots...
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but don't think will be actually possible to make an extensive sandbox zone, what could be done is a instanced zone (maybe only guild or special group) where you could actually build a "castle" and be sieged by other guild
  • AlexanderTheGreat
    AlexanderTheGreat
    ✭✭✭
    I would be happy if the game simply worked.