Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Sorcerors, QBs and Pets

WhitC1935
WhitC1935
✭✭✭
Is there a way for a Sorc to call his pet without putting the spell on the QB? If there is not, then this is a badly needed change. It is a shame to tie up a QB slot with a spell that is infrequently used.
  • shiva7663
    shiva7663
    ✭✭✭
    At level 15, have you tried putting all of your summon spells on the alternate weapon quick bar, then swapping back to your main QB?
  • Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, and I think it works as intended. If you want to have your pets do the work for you, then you also have to face those consequences (both in terms of the 10% less magica as well as less offensive/defensive spells).

I for once do no want this to change.
  • shiva7663
    shiva7663
    ✭✭✭
    Do the summoned creatures disappear if you switch to a quick bar that does not have the spell on it? I haven't tried this yet.
  • WhitC1935
    WhitC1935
    ✭✭✭
    shiva7663 wrote: »
    At level 15, have you tried putting all of your summon spells on the alternate weapon quick bar, then swapping back to your main QB?

Good thought. My Sorc is only L8, but will certainly bear that in mind when or if he gets to L15.

• Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes if you switch to a bar with no summon pet spells on, the pet will disappear when you swap weapons. So basically, if you want to have the pet summoned it need to be present on the action bar.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can however cast bound armor on yourself, and then swap out to a bar without it and the spell persists.

If I didn't hate the look I'd always have it up.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    WhitC1935 wrote: »
    Is there a way for a Sorc to call his pet without putting the spell on the QB? If there is not, then this is a badly needed change. It is a shame to tie up a QB slot with a spell that is infrequently used.

Up and coming Sorc here and i have to disagree.

The whole point of limiting the action bar to 5 slots(not counting Ultimate and quick slot) was to make us have to think about what kind of setup we are going to use. If i want to run my own mini party and have 2 pets out, then i shouldn't have access to 100% of my action bar. I hate the term over-powered(its way over used or used incorrectly), but if ZOS were to allow what you are proposing then all the Sorc haters would be right in saying Sorc is OP'd.

Its about choices. Do i wanna load up with offensive spells, from class or weapon and be a truly glass cannon? Or do i want a well rounded load-out with a pet to co-tank/support with, some offensive spells, and maybe a CC skill of some kind? If pets were able to be kept out in addition to having full access to the whole action bar, might as well rename the game to The Sorcerer's Scroll Online. There would be no reason to roll any other class.

And as to the spell to call pets out being infrequently used, you are not getting the concept. Its called a toggle spell. You toggle it on or off, but it is not 'free'. I like how ZOS decided to make it a flat percentage of max magicka that is tied up until the pet is dismissed and not the constant tick that Square-Enix went with with the Summoner class in FFXI.

So yeah you might not be hitting the spell frequently, but the ability is in constant use will a pet is out.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I play a Sorcerer Summoner as my main and I think it would unbalance the game if my pets didn't have to be on the skill bar. I can summon two of them and together the three of us can kill almost anything our level, elite or not. If things get tough I might even have have to heal them. It's like being in a party without being in a party.

Even having them on one skill bar and stay up when switched would be over powered. Two pets 100% of the time is worth 40% of your skill bar until you get to a point where you don't need them any more (for me it was about the time hit level 25, but will vary depending on your play style). That leaves you with 6 other skill slots to fill, 8 counting the ultimates.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Tuttebel
    Tuttebel
    ✭✭✭
    You can however cast bound armor on yourself, and then swap out to a bar without it and the spell persists.

This is not true. Bound armor needs to be on the active quickbar.
    It is a summon and the mechanic works just like the other summons.

In my opinion summons (pets) aren't really worth the skillslot. I haven't used any since lvl 20 ish.
    They're stupid, charge the boss and die in 2 hits and count as groupmember with lowest HP for aoe healing.
    "lex parsimoniae"
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Tuttebel wrote: »

This is not true. Bound armor needs to be on the active quickbar.
    It is a summon and the mechanic works just like the other summons.

In my opinion summons (pets) aren't really worth the skillslot. I haven't used any since lvl 20 ish.
    They're stupid, charge the boss and die in 2 hits and count as groupmember with lowest HP for aoe healing.

Just saying: The Clannfear is actually a pretty good off-tank and at lvl 25, it has about 33% more HP than my Breton lol.
  • Nooblet
    Nooblet
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do kinda dislike needing inner light on both bars for an ability I toggle on (always). However a fix to help this would be making inner light toggled on by default. That way if say I wanted heals on my next bar, I don't need to have it on both bars to save time swapping.

As for the OP I believe that's working as intended. As stated, you give up those slots so you can use a pet.
    Edited by Nooblet on 19 May 2014 17:17
  • Tuttebel
    Tuttebel
    ✭✭✭

Just saying: The Clannfear is actually a pretty good off-tank and at lvl 25, it has about 33% more HP than my Breton lol.

It may have more hp's than you (lol?) but I sure hope you block, dodge and move out of the stupid better. In a groupsituation, it will be the one with the lowest hitpoints in no time.
    I also stated I stopped using them around 20 something. They sure have their use leveling to that point because we lack most of the good survivability stuff early on.

I'm hitting the softcap on health, magicka, spell resistance, armor and magicka regen just by mixing enchants, statfood and Bound Armor. So far everything in veteran content dies the way I want it to do. I don't feel the need for a tank while questing and my healer friends prefer no summon in dungeons.
    So at this point in the game, I don't really see the need to have a pet out.
    But, to each his/her own

Happy hunting
    "lex parsimoniae"
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Tuttebel wrote: »

It may have more hp's than you (lol?) but I sure hope you block, dodge and move out of the stupid better. In a groupsituation, it will be the one with the lowest hitpoints in no time.
    I also stated I stopped using them around 20 something. They sure have their use leveling to that point because we lack most of the good survivability stuff early on.

I'm hitting the softcap on health, magicka, spell resistance, armor and magicka regen just by mixing enchants, statfood and Bound Armor. So far everything in veteran content dies the way I want it to do. I don't feel the need for a tank while questing and my healer friends prefer no summon in dungeons.
    So at this point in the game, I don't really see the need to have a pet out.
    But, to each his/her own

Happy hunting

Not knocking the way you roll, like i said just saying.

But a quick anecdotal observation: My main(co-main possibly depending on how far i take Sorc) is a Nightblade. And taking the tactics i've learned playing it into VR content and transferring them to Sorc with a constant off-tank is allowing me to do some pretty sick stuff that my NB would never even consider trying.

And my NB isn't a pushover.