Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

[Spoileralert]The toughest decision in the game - The Mad God's Bargain

• Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So nobody has been reading that EITHER DECISION GIVES THE 2 POINTS.

EITHER DECISION GIVES THE 2 POINTS.

It would actually be funnier if Sheogorath screwed you and GAVE you 6 skyshards worth of points by expending 6 random unused skyshards in the world while Shalidors book is actually 2 extra points LOL.
  • Carnagan
    Carnagan
    ✭✭✭

Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

It would actually be funnier if Sheogorath screwed you and GAVE you 6 skyshards worth of points by expending 6 random unused skyshards in the world while Shalidors book is actually 2 extra points LOL.

You don't get the two skill points if you choose to save Valaste. I don't know why you think you do.
    "You dream of the Moon and a man who is less than a man."
    Proud explorer of Tamriel since 1996
  • CheesyDaedra
    CheesyDaedra
    ✭✭✭
    SEND HER TO OBLIVION, or in other words the BEST DAEDRIC REALM, THE FREAKING SHIVERING ISLES!

Honestly i would be happy to take her place in there, Sheogorath's realm is so unique in the ES universe and i think it's more of a heaven instead of a purgatory, considering Sheogorath invented arts and music (out of a priest's guts) and seems to be a good friend of Sanguine (who is pretty good at making eternal parties).
    Edited by CheesyDaedra on 17 June 2014 01:07
    Do you mind? I'm busy doing the fishstick, it's a very delicate state of mind.
  • Westcoast14_ESO
    Westcoast14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    lol, I sent her to the shivering isles and almost certainly would have done so with no skill point reward. It seemed more like a choice between Shalidor's legacy and Valaste's happiness (and Sheogorath's as well). Hmm probably doesn't hurt that Sheogorath is my favorite Daedric prince as well :)
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carnagan wrote: »

You don't get the two skill points if you choose to save Valaste. I don't know why you think you do.

Because you DO your given a book that you read that gives you 2 skill points.
  • Carnagan
    Carnagan
    ✭✭✭

Only if you sell Valaste out.

And if you are going to insist that you get the book regardless, what does Sheoggorath say to explain why he's still giving you the book?
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheogorath doesn't give you the book. Shalidor gives you A book that will give you the skill points.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whisper292 wrote: »
    There's an add-on that allows the player to hold on to and re-read every book they come across in the game that's actually better than the library Shalidor gives you. I chose to save Valaste, so basically, I got squat. But she seemed glad that I saved her, and let's face it--Uncle Sheo may have said she would be happy there, but he's not the most benevolent of Daedric Princes, so who knows what torments he would have placed on her once he got her to the Shivering Isles?

Now, here's an interesting question: why was Sheogorath so interested in Valaste anyway? He went through the whole Mages Guild questline just so he could take her home with him. Hmm...

I gave her up on my nightblade in hopes of seeing some follow-up on that. Yeah, I AM curious as to why he wanted her, and maybe the only way to find out is to give her up. My Don Quixote-esqe dragon, though, might be more benevolent (so I can see the other side of any update, too!)
  • Sindbad
    Sindbad
    Soul Shriven
    Thats actually a benefit in choosing to save Valaste, you will be able to remember every piece of paper or book you read, the max of my lore library was 300 or something like that and now is 2239.
  • Spudo
    Spudo
    Soul Shriven

Just did this quest. I saved Valaste and did not get any book!?!?!?!
    However I loved this quest and the morale choice it gives you.
    Part of what makes this game great.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just did this quest. I saved Valaste and did not get any book!?!?!?!
    However I loved this quest and the morale choice it gives you.
    Part of what makes this game great.

Yea I miss read what somebody said or simply read bad info. But there was also a point in the thread where it was stated that Customer Service stated that all players will gain the same amount of skill points through out the game.

Whether this is true or not is unknown as I also just recently completed the quest saving Valaste and not seeing a way to gain the skill points.

But in the grand scheme of this out of 300+ skill points how much difference will 2 really make.

I myself will not miss the skill points as the Mad Gods trickery for "power" is laughable a measly 2 skill points out of 300+.

Do you think if it was 1 skill points it would have still been worth it, to trade your humanity for only a small slight increase in power. 2 really doesn't seem to make that big a of a difference.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sindbad wrote: »
    Thats actually a benefit in choosing to save Valaste, you will be able to remember every piece of paper or book you read, the max of my lore library was 300 or something like that and now is 2239.

You get Eldrid knowledge regardless of saving Valaste. The real only noticeable difference that I have been able to research and find is the 2 skill points.

MAYBE later down the line that will change but as for now as it stands its 2 skill point loss for saving her or a 2 skill point gain for handing her over. However you wanna look at it.....glass half full or half empty.
  • Hassgrinsen
    It should be two skill points OR Eidetic Memory. One or the other, not both. Let people who care about the story get all the lore they could want, let all the "bros" have their points.
  • Carnagan
    Carnagan
    ✭✭✭
    It should be two skill points OR Eidetic Memory. One or the other, not both. Let people who care about the story get all the lore they could want, let all the "bros" have their points.

The problem is that not every character who chooses to sell out doesn't care about the lore or the story. There are lots of justifiable in character reasons to do it, depending on what you think your character is.

If you're playing a character that is focused on the fight with Molag Bal, then getting the power of the skyshards to help might be worth the cost of a single life. Especially when weighed against the dangers of the Plane Meld.

Or maybe you're playing a self-serving thief or a knowledge hungry mage or a power mad warrior with a low or no moral compass. They could justifiably sell out Valaste for power.

I don't think it would be right for Shalidor to withhold the memory library based on your choice either. He helped cause this by insisting on getting things done, regardless of the toll they were taking. He didn't want to wait and maybe get her some help or anything. He just wanted the island. It would be extremely hypocritical of him to judge you harshly for your choice.

I've said that I feel that this is a very good/evil choice, but I don't think that choosing the evil side makes you a "bro". I also don't think that it should be a points or library reward choice. Making it about choosing your reward, rather than about turning down power, cheapens the choice you have to make and puts pressure on lore-junkies to break character in order to get the memory library.
  • Araflin
    Araflin
    ✭✭✭
    AND sold to Uncle Sheo for 2 skill points !!
    All you need to know.
    Edited by Araflin on 31 July 2014 22:20
    " Brave Clarice. You will let me know when those Nirnroot stop screaming, won't you?"
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    i would take the skill points any day .. who cares for rp ?
  • semp3rfi
    semp3rfi
    ✭✭✭
    Thats the thing about doing the right thing. Most of time there is no reward more than the knowledge you did the right thing. In fact doing the right thing and "what do i get for it?", shouldnt be in the same equation.

As this is a game, and there are no ultimate consequences, ill take skill points please
    Edited by semp3rfi on 4 August 2014 05:23
  • cuz_mike200
    cuz_mike200
    ✭✭✭
    What level do you have to be to recieve or accomplish this quest?
  • Carnagan
    Carnagan
    ✭✭✭

Join the Mage's Guild and just go through the questline. It is the final quest.
  • Drawberrry
    Drawberrry
    ✭✭✭
    I saved her.
    NO REGRETS!
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH quit being so dramatic its not like she dies if you choose the skill points. She is clearly going to the mania half of the shivering isles(assuming the shivering isles always has two halfs) where she will dance is golden fields filled with butterflys. Remember the daedra = / = demons and are capable of some good, it really is a neutral choice, not a EVIL vs GOOD choice.

Im betting she isn't really trapped in the shivering isles forever anyways because at the end of the era the graymarch will happen and she will die.
    Edited by xxslam48xxb14_ESO on 6 August 2014 01:50
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • Kreetar
    Kreetar
    ✭✭✭
    I'm boring. I save her & what's left of her sanity. :'(

surely Sheogorath has other playtoys, though. she wouldn't be a big loss at all.
    dip me in the blood of mortals and throw me to the Dremora

• shiva7663
    shiva7663
    ✭✭✭
    Level 43. I managed to finish the quest at level 33 (my gear was averaged level 38), though. I have to wait for ten levels to enjoy the fruits of my treachery. sigh.
  • smassareub17_ESO
    smassareub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Really. I read all the dialog and I came to the conclusion that sending Valaste with Sheogorath is just fine for her. Should she stay in the mages guild and bury her nose in books for the rest of her life? Should she be lonely and just do Shalidor's bidding to decipher more tomes? Her answer seemed very lucid. "Adept, I don't know what I would do"........I think that is a plea for freedom of sorts. Sheogorath seems as though he may really have a soft spot for Valaste in his "heart"? So off she went to cavort with butterflies. Too bad, Shalidor. You lost your "cipher".
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eccentric wrote: »
    To all those who felt they were "forced" to send her away, to gain the 2 skillpoints. I can tell you Sheogorath might not be such a bad guy, even though he is in fact a Daedric Prince.

Sheogorath's real name is Jyggalag and former Daedric Prince of Order. He used to be one of the most powerful Deadra Lords with great influence. Because of jealousy, the other Daedric princes decided to curse him to live as Sheogorath, the incarnation of Madness,

Even though he might seem hostile, he certainly do hold a grudge against the other Daedra princes. He act mad, because he is cursed, but I believe he is in fact trying to help in his own way. Velaste is hopefully in good, but not too mad hands. :wink:

He was Jyggalag, but his madness is absolute. He has no memory of being Jyggalag, and he has a totally different personality, in essence he is a different person.

As for him being good, no way. He's neither good nor evil, but the embodiment of madness, all sorts of madness. He might keep her safe, or he might grow bored and kill her on a whim, or forget about her in an instant.

If you played the Shivering Isles, you'll know he switches moods and attitudes randomly and utterly. Valaste is not safe.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Cured of insanity, or sent to the Asylum to remain crazy forever.

I selected to save Valaste; she is an introvert and Eyevea is the ideal location for the life she chose for herself.
    I have enough skill points in game for the build I designed without the other option anyway.

I actually felt the other way. Looking at Valaste I felt that if she was 'cured' and stayed in Eyevea, what kind of life would that be? She'd be among fellow mages, yes, but most likely she'd keep to herself, buried in her books, just like she did in her past.

Sheogorath himself says that madmen often present the most sound of arguments, and listening to Valaste, I felt that she would genuinely be happier on the Shivering Isles. In fact, I didn't even care about the skill points making this decision.

Shivering Isles is not a safe place, even for madmen (madwomen).

As for her burying herself in books, yes she probably would, but she'ld be among mages, ie bookworms, she might find love among them, or not. Personally I feel she needs to be set up with a potential partner, and nudged towards happiness.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No, either decision gives you Edetic Memory.

The choice is between getting the two skill points or saving her, if you save her you lose the skill points.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eccentric wrote: »
    Sheogorath's real name is Jyggalag and former Daedric Prince of Order. He used to be one of the most powerful Deadra Lords with great influence. Because of jealousy, the other Daedric princes decided to curse him to live as Sheogorath, the incarnation of Madness

He was Jyggalag, but his madness is absolute. He has no memory of being Jyggalag, and he has a totally different personality, in essence he is a different person.

Jyggalag is no longer Sheogorath. The entity that we now know as Sheogorath is the hero of Kvatch, the main character from Oblivion who freed Jyggalag from his curse.
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Jyggalag

EDIT: Of course, that happened in the third era. So Sheo is indeed Jiggy in ESO. My bad.
    Edited by MorHawk on 15 August 2014 15:33
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • cuz_mike200
    cuz_mike200
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just get the 2 skill points, better than some gold and a green or blue item
  • AtriasNaradan
    AtriasNaradan
    ✭✭✭
    For those who send Valaste away because she seems happy, i'll let you all know that when you saved Valaste and she's free from insanity, she said it herself that she's glad i save her and she's saying that she's happy to stay on Shivering Isle due to Sheogorath control.

In a way, Sheogorath actually trying to trick and test the vestige resolve at the same time. He's not a real bad Deadra, just like some other Daedras are not really bad, many Daedras are just curious bunches who have their own code that's sometimes in clash with Aedras codes.

As for 2 skillpoints, in a way the customer service is right that it's pretty much equal at some point...because those 2 points actual usage when you reach end-game content are almost insignificant. For example, right now my Main is VR6, and i only add points to making my character knows how to use more weapons than i ever use, which is kinda pointless other than for RP purpose :P
This discussion has been closed.