Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Researching Times

MaxBat
MaxBat
✭✭✭
Okay, just to be clear: To research something, you go to a table/station and, with the item you want to research in your inventory, you select the research tab and the item.

Early stages of research take about 6 hours, but the time doubles with each level. Here's my question:

You don't have to be online, right? So I can start a research project, then shut my computer off, and I'll keep researching it, correct?
"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • lalley
    lalley
    ✭✭
    No. You have to stay online and playing for 48 straight hours when you get to your fourth researched trait for an item :p

Just kidding... you do not have to stay in game while an item is researching.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, 48 hours? That is bad ...

• Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    This current info is available via a great source called Kaleka from TESOElite.com. http://tinyurl.com/ouezq66

64 days to get all traits for one type/piece of weapon/armour.

• Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    And then you realize that's just for the traits for that one item class. And then you look at all those daggers, maces, swords, battleaxes, 2h swords, axes, bows, shields, cuirases, jackets, robes, shirts, boots, sabbatons, shoes, hats, helmets, gloves, fire staves, frost staves, restoration staves, storm staves... oh my. :p
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that there is a skill under each crafting type that shortens the time taken for research and will allow you to research on more than one item at a time. Maxing this though, that will still keep so many players busy and happy :)
    The Sidekick Order
  • Desmadona
    Desmadona
    I know they have to design a game people will have a reason to put many many hours and days into so they can make bank of their subscription fees, but this seems a bit ridiculous to me, a completionist who has to abandon all hope of researching everything. /sadface
    r7MdXFo.png
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 - yes, it's a time sink, and quite possibly unnecessary
    #2 - I'm not sure why you have to abandon all hope of researching everything - all it takes is time. Lots, and lots, of time. If you have time, it can be done, and as a fellow impulsive completionist, I know for a fact that donating time to a project is something you can do.
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • Apothiss
    Apothiss
    I see it as a balanced method of ensuring that there are long term goals for endgame crafters and dedicated players. I'm sure that any completionist players who cant stand the thought of dedicating some time to getting all of these recipes could find any number of MMOs that pander to making 100% of their potential players happy at the cost of their games integrity.....*cough* pandas *cough*
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like it, as you need to research to be able to craft certain set gears in the game, this rewards people that do actually sink time into their craft, and research things.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, but the research tree applies to weapon types, right? And restarts for each type?

So I start researching daggers it's 6 hours. If I start swords later, it's 6 hours, too.

Also, I can research multiple items in different professions: so one for clotheir, one for blacksmith, etc.

And there are skills that shorten research time?

• XXII
    XXII
    MaxBat wrote: »
    Wow, 48 hours? That is bad ...

If you think that's bad, I recall reading that the last trait you research takes 32 days (?). Don't quote me on that, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
    - Criminal Scum
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Hirion wrote: »
    This current info is available via a great source called Kaleka from TESOElite.com. http://tinyurl.com/ouezq66

64 days to get all traits for one type/piece of weapon/armour.

Thanks, that was helpful.

• dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @MaxBat - Yes there are skills that shorten reseach time.
    dolmen wrote: »
    Don't forget that there is a skill under each crafting type that shortens the time taken for research and will allow you to research on more than one item at a time. Maxing this though, that will still keep so many players busy and happy :)

The Sidekick Order