Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ESO Skills

Stoob
Stoob
✭✭
So, I have been playing during the 5 Day early access, And aside from the few glitches I've come across that I have the confidence that they will be fixed, I have a personal issue with the "Skills" bar.

My issue is as follows:

There's not enough slots on the bar.

Sure, Some people may only think 5-6 is enough. But to be fair, I'd rather prefer more options in my skills bar.

What are all your opinions?
An Eye For An Eye, Leaves The Whole World Blind.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a wait and see scenario. I too feel a bit hampered by the limited selection of abilities, yet I also see this constraint as a tactical decision that must be made by the player and therefore enhances a player's ability to use strategy over twitch.

The reason for the 5 abilities is so that the player's focus is on the action on the screen rather than the cool down timers on the action bar. It's clearly successful in this regard, yet for me, time will tell whether I feel too restricted at higher levels.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 5, it makes me decide how I want to play out an adventure & fill the bar accordingly... & I'd rather not have to remember lots of buttons, but get used to changing them
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I dont really have enough stamina/magicka to use my abilities more than about 4 or 5 times, so anything more on my hotbar would be... overkill.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    It is simply a design choice, and it likely will never change. The reason for this is for you to plan ahead and decide what you will need for your upcoming battles, sort of like a loadout. You don't want to think of it as a static bar and that you'll only ever use 5 skills...because you won't.

However at level 15, there is a weapon swap button introduced. This allows you another 5-6 attack slots of use, and you can do so in combat, this helps out quite a bit in regards to feeling limited. For some it isn't enough...for me it is.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    The genre itself is moving away from 30 active skills on 5 bars etc etc. It gets better when you get to level 15. There's far more freedom to play what's in front of you, as it stands, and less opportunity/necessity to stare at cool downs.

I would bet that most gamers today prefer the small skill bars hence the direction the genre has moved in.
  • Murbayn
    Murbayn
    Few things to remember here:

1. The game is designed for consoles too, so that plays into it

2. At level 15 you unlock the weapon swap, which adds another bar to your abilities by "swapping" weapons. (side note - you can swap for the exact same weapon as bar 1, if you want to)
  • Budnick
    Budnick
    I don't think it will change. the want you to make choices. anyway http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63519/5-skills-ultimate-is-not-enough#latest
  • Stoob
    Stoob
    ✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    Honestly, I dont really have enough stamina/magicka to use my abilities more than about 4 or 5 times, so anything more on my hotbar would be... overkill.

Though you may not have much Stamina/Magicka, Doesn't it make you feel limited to choice?
    Xionar wrote: »
    It is simply a design choice, and it likely will never change. The reason for this is for you to plan ahead and decide what you will need for your upcoming battles, sort of like a loadout. You don't want to think of it as a static bar and that you'll only ever use 5 skills...because you won't.

However at level 15, there is a weapon swap button introduced. This allows you another 5-6 attack slots of use, and you can do so in combat, this helps out quite a bit in regards to feeling limited. For some it isn't enough...for me it is.

Well, Though it may be clever to have only 5-6 slots, I don't see why they have it so that you can gain many skills, and you have to choose on what to put in them slots (Example: Weapon skills, Race skills, Etc.)
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Stoob Nope. Because while my bars are regenerating, I have weapon attacks, and I am moving around at the same time. This is an action RPG with no autoattacks or just standing there taking it.

If they had 2 more skills on the bar I would not complain, but I am relieved I no longer have to manage 30 skills at once. Not that I can't handle it, but it is nicer to not have to.

In SWTOR my Naga Epic mouse has an entire hotbar on it, then I have my 1 through = keys, and the ALT 1-= keys. It works for that game...

But this game, the 6 buttons works for it,,, so I think.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Stoob wrote: »
    So, I have been playing during the 5 Day early access, And aside from the few glitches I've come across that I have the confidence that they will be fixed, I have a personal issue with the "Skills" bar.

My issue is as follows:

There's not enough slots on the bar.

Sure, Some people may only think 5-6 is enough. But to be fair, I'd rather prefer more options in my skills bar.

What are all your opinions?
    This was a design decision the DEVs made, because the game is action oriented (as opposed to the style EQ and WoW used). So I would not expect it to change.
  • Stoob
    Stoob
    ✭✭
    @Hawke‌ To be completely honest, I wasn't thinking of "They should add another bar" Etc. I was thinking that they should add some more slots, as it would be nice to have more than these, For instance, if you have some solo skills and some AoE skills, There are some situations where you're going for one, and some where you're in the middle of many. Now if you only have a few AoE, when surrounded, You can feel overwhelmed with only 5 skills/abilities, while attacking one out of the many attacking you..