Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New to game style

zarbora
zarbora
I'm liking ESO a lot but have only ever played WoW and SWTOR. I'm finding it difficult to know what's a dungeon and what's not, what quests are group quests and which are not. I tried PVP which i was hoping to enjoy, but had no idea what was going on, couldn't respawn. Basically I'm struggling familiarizing myself with how things work in the game. I'm lvl 14 and have done ok questing, the game just doesn't seem very user friendly. Is there somewhere to go to learn a lot of the basics? I'm sort of looking to find it all in relatively the same place. thx.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    To respawn you press E,, should have been text on your screen at the bottom...
  • Bweefk
    Bweefk
    ✭✭
    Try joining a guild. A helpful guild is key in a good MMO experience.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO :)

Dungeons are like heroics in SWTOR, except there are solo ones in ESO (although most heroics were actually soloable in SWTOR). I think it's a fair comment that unless you've played TES games that certain things will be alien to you, and the game could do more to help with new players. I suggest you read third party sites like http://tamrielfoundry.com/forums/ or http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline for quality information from people who've been playing the game for over a year.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most quests can be done in a group if you are grouped with people.
    There is one classic 4 man group dungeon per area - it is a torch with a '+' next to it on the map. You can see names by using the group finder to see the dungeons (if you're in the right level range)
    There are mini public 'dungeons' (or, 'delves') with torch symbols.
    If you couldn't respawn in PvP, that's... odd.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    If you ask questions in /zone people are generally very helping. Or so I have found on the EU server. The game is laid out very much like Skyrim, if you have played it. If not, fear don't. if you're on EU...hit me up and I'll be glad to help!
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    The Sidekick Order
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Press F1 ingame for a help menu.

ESO is a rather different game in some regards for sure, but it should only take a day or two to familiarize.

As for dungeons, any map icon that looks like a torch, is called a public dungeon, built for 1.5 players, so they're pretty easily solo-able. One torch on each map is usually considered a group public dungeon, which is usually built for 2-3 people, you know which one these are because there are usually piles of 6 mobs grouped together instead of just 2-3. There is also an icon of a torch with a + sign in the bottom right of the icon, this symbolizes a group instance, which is an instanced dungeon designed for 4 people.
  • Know
    Know
    I feel someone should also plug the in game tutorials (the ? symbol on the menu).
    They don't have a ton of detailed advanced info, but they really do a decent job of explaining a lot of the basic concepts in crafting, pvp, dungeons, etc.
    The best part? You can read them while you wait for that slow person you're adventuring with to catch up. ;)
    Persons appear to us according to the light we throw upon them from our own minds. -Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Futon
    Futon
    Hirion wrote: »
    Welcome to ESO :)

Dungeons are like heroics in SWTOR, except there are solo ones in ESO (although most heroics were actually soloable in SWTOR). I think it's a fair comment that unless you've played TES games that certain things will be alien to you, and the game could do more to help with new players. I suggest you read third party sites like http://tamrielfoundry.com/forums/ or http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline for quality information from people who've been playing the game for over a year.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions.

I visit reddit a lot for general questions about ESO.

• lePoissonRouge
    lePoissonRouge
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with @Bweefk, joining a guild is a great way to learn the ropes. I'll give you some tips here though if they help:
    -Dungeons are areas marked by a torch, and group dungeons are areas marked by a torch with a plus sign next to it.
    -There aren't really any specific group/solo quests. It all depends on how you want to play it. Sometimes quests are difficult to solo, but it's possible. Just depends on what your level/skill is and if you want more or less of a challenge.
    -Respawning in Cyrodiil is pretty simple once you grasp the concept of it. When you die, you can either wait to be revived by another player or press E (default button) to respawn. You'll be shown the Cyrodiil map and anything highlighted in green is where you can respawn. It's all based on the transitus network so as long as your keep isn't under siege, you can respawn at any keep your faction currently has. You can also respawn at any nearby camps your faction has set up, which are little tents on the map with a bubble around them.

Hope that helped some =)