Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stale PvP in Cyrodiil

Vulkunne
Vulkunne
✭✭✭✭✭
ZOS PvP Combat Experience Team,

Hi, I'm writing this in order to share some feedback regarding PvP in Cyrodiil.

Allow me to open this by saying I've had many years of PvP w/ ESO, including Cyrodiil. Over the last two or three years I've found myself logging in to Cyrodiil PvP less and less. I had already stopped logging into BGs consistently because of the Ice Warden groups and things of that nature there. But Cyrodiil has over time become something of a brick wall. It used to be fun when there was plenty of people logging in and we had big fights and such. Now, it's become rather stale. In (2) out of the (3) Cyrodiil servers, it's basically consistently dominated by (1) faction. DC on Ravenwatch and AD on Blackreach. So, with this said, there are some problems here.

The first issue is when you have a faction that just totally locks everything down, no one wants to deal with them. Everything is just uphill and it's like there is no healthy competition. Greyhost still has some competition because people login regularly (when they can) but for the other servers it's like, I really just can't justify trying. Even if like let's say we don't care about the score, it's hard to fight for the faction just for the sake of doing so.

Which brings me to the second problem, many times in places like Blackreach or Ravenwatch, if I do anything I'm jumped by like 3 to 10 people. Meaning like, for every one of us not part of the 'global' faction the odds are massively stacked against us. It's just hard to play the game, it's hard to do anything with uh 5v1 coming after us for every keep or rss we take. It's for this reason that factions stay gated for days sometimes. And then there's the sorc problem.

Sorcs are absolutely out of control powerful. I'm just in awe at how strong the Sorc class is over everyone else. I mean my DK is built very strong and they still CC me and kill me consistently. That's another thing I don't like, the fights aren't fair, its CC and kill. Um... why do we need so much CC in this game? Meteors have been basically one-shotting me recently too. Its like all they have to do is either use curse or meteor with CC and that's it. It doesn't matter how much mitigation I have, or impen or nothing. This is out of control. There's no contest. Your PvP is not balanced. I can't even think about making a damage build because I wouldn't live long enough to use it.

And let me be clear, this isn't me mad because I don't win all the time. Isn't about that. I just know that if I don't go into Cyrodiil with full mitigation then I don't live long enough to get CC'd and then die. :) I experimented with like a medium build this last week and generally speaking all it took was a single meteor to kill me. And all this is before we even start talk about ball groups. You know, you have a real moral issue here and you guys have created something that is just not playable. I'm sorry but its not. PvP in Cyrodiil is really not even worth trying except on Greyhost but even then you have many of these same problems.

I just don't understand why I should keep logging in when there really is no sport in PvP anymore. Its whoever has the ball groups or whoever has the best Sorcs, with a couple guilds, whom have really turned alot of people off with their attitude and bias towards others, running the show when they should not be. You guys have a real issue here and unless something is done, you're going to have two dead PvP servers. I know several others who have left, and we want to PvP, but things are REALLY one-sided on these servers.
Edited by Vulkunne on 6 September 2024 19:29
"I know that someday that sun is bound to shine." -Ella Fitzgerald
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because of the insane amount of healing and mitigations in place, cc + burst is the most effective way to kill people

i dont know how meteors are 1 shotting you, im betting you are not blocking them and there is other dmg being stacked with them, but meteors alone usually wont do the job, as they are extremely telegraphed and give you a full 2 seconds to block (dodging does not work on meteor which is why a lot of people use it)

medium armor builds are used for being more of a glass cannon, not survivability, even with armor cap, theres a lot of ways to get through that (a lot of pvpers can get to 15-20k penetration, which ignores about 66% of the armor)

i fully agree about population balance is sometimes out of whack though, which is the primary reason i go to grey host at times, though i dont really care for the faction locks, i usually prefer playing on blackreach or ravenwatch (now that its got procs enabled again lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mitigation is not the only piece of the puzzle in staying alive. You have to have enough stamina and stam recovery to break free every 7 seconds, occasionally block, and use your own stamina abilities. You also need a skill on your bars that allows you to clear snares and roots without excessively relying on roll dodge, such as race against time or shuffle. Perhaps consider the Ferocious Leap morph for the shield it gives in spite of its lower damage scaling compared to Take Flight. One of the DK wings morphs does this too. And you need a burst heal and a couple heal over time abilities. You can easily run burning embers, resolving vigor, and dragon's blood on a standard two bar setup. And as I've told friends, good healing can be the best mitigation.

As far as the numbers issue goes, getting into excessively outnumbered fights, it's an unfortunate reality on the less populous campaigns. Best advice there is bring friends of your own or see if there is another group you can join. Or perhaps give Battlegrounds a shot instead if you can't get into gray host.

Not saying that PVP doesn't have problems, because it definitely does. At the same time, we need to make sure our own builds are holding tight in the process. Examine what kills us and how we can overcome that. Is it not being able to break free, are we taking a lot of critical damage (would be nice if the death recap indicated which hits were crits), are we overexposing ourselves to enemy attacks and not taking advantage of line of sight... there still some insight we can gain there about our own play.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lyranais, EP Magsorc, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Mitigation is not the only piece of the puzzle in staying alive. You have to have enough stamina and stam recovery to break free every 7 seconds, occasionally block, and use your own stamina abilities. You also need a skill on your bars that allows you to clear snares and roots without excessively relying on roll dodge, such as race against time or shuffle. Perhaps consider the Ferocious Leap morph for the shield it gives in spite of its lower damage scaling compared to Take Flight. One of the DK wings morphs does this too. And you need a burst heal and a couple heal over time abilities. You can easily run burning embers, resolving vigor, and dragon's blood on a standard two bar setup. And as I've told friends, good healing can be the best mitigation.

As far as the numbers issue goes, getting into excessively outnumbered fights, it's an unfortunate reality on the less populous campaigns. Best advice there is bring friends of your own or see if there is another group you can join. Or perhaps give Battlegrounds a shot instead if you can't get into gray host.

Not saying that PVP doesn't have problems, because it definitely does. At the same time, we need to make sure our own builds are holding tight in the process. Examine what kills us and how we can overcome that. Is it not being able to break free, are we taking a lot of critical damage (would be nice if the death recap indicated which hits were crits), are we overexposing ourselves to enemy attacks and not taking advantage of line of sight... there still some insight we can gain there about our own play.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and I'm not really disagreeing because all of what you said is true, however what almost always happens is I get CC'd and it's over. I mean seriously I wouldn't come here and post all this unless this was something that's like an epidemic. There are just not enough resources to keep from getting CC'd, not healing, even on my DK, which surprised me, but now my DK has very poor healing which is strange because a few patches ago it wasn't as big a problem.

I'm probably just going to leave the game for a while. There's no competing against the Sorcs and they know it. PvP used to be fun but now after PvPing for about a month on Blackreach I kind of feel like a battered housewife lol (which is not good). Ball groups too and people following me around Cyrodiil going on discord to tell AD/DC groups where I am and so forth. Ball groups can't be killed, PvP ends whenever they come around. Cyrodiil PvP has become really toxic and needs a reset.

I really wish we could have a PvP server completely free of ball groups. It would also be lovely if there was some population mechanic to cut everyone from going to one faction.
    Edited by Vulkunne on 7 September 2024 03:09
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look I don't know how many Rework Sorc threads I had to read before I decided they were right, all those years ago

Sorcs only kill bad players

I got that tatted on my hand so I can look down and remind myself while I'm respawning
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look I don't know how many Rework Sorc threads I had to read before I decided they were right, all those years ago

I got that tatted on my hand so I can look down and remind myself while I'm respawning

Who said anything about them killing me :)

The Sorcs wouldn't be so difficult to deal with if I didn't face like 5 or 6 of them at one time. It just doesn't seem reasonable to grant so many different strengths to one class and basically reduce everyone else outside of that class into being 'bad players'.

Something is def wrong somewhere and it ain't me.
    Edited by Vulkunne on 6 September 2024 23:31
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »

Who said anything about them kill me :)

The Sorcs wouldn't be so difficult to deal with if I didn't face like 5 or 6 of them at one time. It just doesn't seem reasonable to grant so many different strengths to one class and basically reduce everyone else outside of that class into being 'bad players'.

if its 5-6 vs 1, it honestly wouldnt matter which classes those people were if there were 5-6 of them all hitting you
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »

Who said anything about them kill me :)

if its 5-6 vs 1, it honestly wouldnt matter which classes those people were if there were 5-6 of them all hitting you

All I'm saying is I should not need to switch to a completely different class to compete. I've tried Sorc before and well... its just not my thing. For example, I don't even have a Sorc character.

I just wish other classes had better ability to compete.
    Edited by Vulkunne on 7 September 2024 00:45
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your not wrong, sorcs have the easy options for facetanking, resetting and absurd DMG from range.
    It wasn't a huge problem before as high DMG builds can be dealt with and if they streaked away before it was for good reason now they have a 1button ability to facetank ridiculous DMG as well. Example would be on a Templar I have to layer 4 Hots and use a burst heal combined possibly with roll dodge and block, a sorc hits ward and maybe streak...that's it..