Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

So what happened at Trader reset today?

DenverRalphy
DenverRalphy
✭✭✭✭✭
Mournhold, Wayrest, and Elden Root guild traders all seem to have been no-bid claims. PSNA server.

Somethin funny happen at ZoS HQ?
Edited by DenverRalphy on 27 August 2024 19:52
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, zone chat revealed a bunch of guilds allied and outbid the “established” guilds there.

This is what happens in the underbelly of trader guild PvP that most aren’t witness to.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From what I heard those who are referred to as “mafia” guilds did not make their bids in any capital cities this week.

My donation guild is in Elden Root this week.

I assume that the shorter guild listings are hurting them but don’t know for sure.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's the case, they basically just tossed boatloads of coin down the drain. Because if guilds had to consolidate just to do it, then they can't sustain it either. Meanwhile the established guilds just take a break for a week and don't lose any money.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mournhold, Wayrest, and Elden Root guild traders all seem to have been no-bid claims. PSNA server.

Somethin funny happen at ZoS HQ?

People have no idea whats going on in big Guilds bidding there is SO much gold involved
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From what I heard those who are referred to as “mafia” guilds did not make their bids in any capital cities this week.

I assume that the shorter guild listings are hurting them but don’t know for sure.

Why wouldn’t the big guilds who always boast about being capital city traders not place bids in the capitals this week? Seems kinda weird.
    Edited by DragonRacer on 28 August 2024 00:37
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the case, they basically just tossed boatloads of coin down the drain. Because if guilds had to consolidate just to do it, then they can't sustain it either. Meanwhile the established guilds just take a break for a week and don't lose any money.

I don’t know what happened but the zone chat was very lively today while I was there. A lot was said and I have no way of knowing whether it is true or not.

I’m not in a big guild but I like the selection they offer when I go looking for furnishing plans and rare items. Smaller guilds don’t have that.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why wouldn’t the big guilds who always boast about being capital city traders not place bids in the capitals this week? Seems kinda weird.

Seems they got outbid would be the best guess.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like a The Sopranos of eso.....I want ALL THE GOSSIP lol
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mine too. I wondered what was up. My GM sent out a message about being in a better city and that gold matts might be more expensive. I wondered what the last bit might mean?
    PS5/NA
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But it's not just that I went to mournhold and there were none of the usual guilds. My guild is in Eldenroot this week. The first time as far as I know.

Good for me, but did wonder what the heck was going on!
    PS5/NA
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand clearly why there is an issue with "better" places to put a guild trader.

When I need to buy something at trader, I first check online via the TTC search system where it's available, with results ordered based on most recently listed (because if several hours ago, it's mostly gone). Then, I check lowest price out of the top 10 results and go to the guild trader combining "most recent" and "cheapest".
    Out of my experience, the best traders (in term of pricing) are very rarely - close to never - in capital cities.

So my question is: players don't proceed this way when they buy something? They don't search for best prices? They just go to capital cities no matter the pricing?
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    I don't understand clearly why there is an issue with "better" places to put a guild trader.

When I need to buy something at trader, I first check online via the TTC search system where it's available, with results ordered based on most recently listed (because if several hours ago, it's mostly gone). Then, I check lowest price out of the top 10 results and go to the guild trader combining "most recent" and "cheapest".
    Out of my experience, the best traders (in term of pricing) are very rarely - close to never - in capital cities.

So my question is: players don't proceed this way when they buy something? They don't search for best prices? They just go to capital cities no matter the pricing?

Given that this happened on a PS Console Server, there is no TTC or price checking tool to be used.
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭

zos bringing ttc in house seems way more useful than bringing the housing add on people used, in house.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The main cities draw more traffic. This is the console no ttc. I don't know about others but I usually check at least the "big 3" before I spend a lot on something. Mournhold, Eldenroot, and Wayest. I also like Vvardenfell.

As I gad about I do occasionally check prices in other places and usually the big 3 have more selection and better prices.
    PS5/NA
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »

zos bringing ttc in house seems way more useful than bringing the housing add on people used, in house.

For me, the issue is time. I prefer going to areas with multiple traders. I'm usually looking for something to save me time, such as mats or a gear piece with traits I want. The gold is what I grind in content so I don't have to shop in a game about action and adventure.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Mine too. I wondered what was up. My GM sent out a message about being in a better city and that gold matts might be more expensive. I wondered what the last bit might mean?

Among the buzz in zone chat were some allegations…I won’t spell it out directly but the reason on console why mats are so cheap is the answer and would imply that some of that was removed. I don’t know what the forum rules about such things are but you can probably connect the dots here.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The main cities draw more traffic. This is the console no ttc. I don't know about others but I usually check at least the "big 3" before I spend a lot on something. Mournhold, Eldenroot, and Wayest. I also like Vvardenfell.

As I gad about I do occasionally check prices in other places and usually the big 3 have more selection and better prices.

Yes, when you have to price check on foot for buying or selling you go here first, then maybe Alinor, Vivec City, or other dlc capitals.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play on PCEU and do a lot of selling and buy things occasionally when I need something. The rarer an item is, the more likely I am to use TTC to find the best deal. If I just want some commonly sold items then using TTC and porting around takes a lot of time and doesn't really save that much money compared to going to the main cities and just browse the traders.

And when I do hunt for rarer or expensive items where there can easily be a 100% price difference between cheaper and mid priced items, then I do use TTC. But I do end up surprisingly often in the main city traders for the best deals.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Seems they got outbid would be the best guess.

Okay, I misunderstood your post then. The first part of it made it sound like they said they didn't even bother placing bids in the capitals this week, which I found to be very stranger. Not that they were simply outbid, which is clearly what happened.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound to me like ZOS may have done something to reduce what I call the bot economy. I often see on PS/NA multiple bots running on a fixed path while collecting nodes. I think the people running these bots are getting IRL cash from this. Otherwise, why would they keep doing this every day for years? I think that the mats that the bots collect are being sold in guild traders for gold. And then the gold is getting sold for cash, which goes back to the people running the bots. I don't know the details, but this is what I believe is happening.

And if ZOS has reduced the flow of mats to cash, then I say Thanks ZOS!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »
    Sound to me like ZOS may have done something to reduce what I call the bot economy. I often see on PS/NA multiple bots running on a fixed path while collecting nodes. I think the people running these bots are getting IRL cash from this. Otherwise, why would they keep doing this every day for years? I think that the mats that the bots collect are being sold in guild traders for gold. And then the gold is getting sold for cash, which goes back to the people running the bots. I don't know the details, but this is what I believe is happening.

We will have to see what happens next week. I don’t wish for these guilds to go away but this would be an unfair advantage.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard various different "true/actual explanations", and I dunno.

The prevalent theory now is that a bunch of guilds worked together to save up the funds to oust every trader in all 3 capital cities in one bang. However I really don't buy it. Heck one of the guilds that holds a spot in Mournhold doesn't even have anythinig in stock. You can literally search All Items, and it comes up nada. If it were indeed some coordinated effort, there would at least be guilds with a halfway decent inventory in place. The guilds there now, not so much.

If there was a massive effort to outbid the usual guilds, it was an obscenely massive waste of coin.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People have done dumber things for dumber reasons.

I do find it wild the major guilds who have no trader at all. You’d think a backup bid somewhere in the 10 possible backup bid locations would win. And some of the backup bid locations were… interesting choices. I would not have pegged Orsinium as one at all, for example.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the fallout didn’t completely wreck some of the sub capitals. Though it makes me a bit fearful what will happen next week.

But your original assertion that all 3 capitals had some glitch that allowed these guilds to quickly hire the traders post-flip is incorrect. I was online at the time of flip, watching for the result of my own bids (I’m the GM of The PTK’s). Open traders who had no bid placed on them do NOT open for hiring until 5 minutes after flip and they would have a blank guild tabard and no guild name above their head yet. The current guilds in the current capitals appeared on the trader tabards as soon as flip occurred, which means their bid won. And HAD there been some glitch where suddenly all 3 capitals were open for hire, there would have been a feeding frenzy of trader guild officers all standing around waiting to mash the hire button - and that’s only IF their guild had not already won a spot somewhere else.

It’s bizarre to witness, but trader flip happened the same way I’ve always seen it happen. Just that this time there was an Ocean’s 11 type allied heist. GMs of some of those guilds were even openly talking about it in zone chat. It’s not a mystery what happened.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, for the record, my guild is independent. Was burned by an alliance once years ago and never again. That stuff ALWAYS turns into drama. Life’s too short for that garbage. So I’ve just been on the sidelines observing this craziness from the outside.

I will say I sometimes toss bids in the capitals to see what sticks and what doesn’t. Sure glad I didn’t this week and end up with a bunch of drama and a target on my back.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Plus, one of the completely empty guilds in Wayrest is named to mock the head guild of the usual capital alliance. Yeah, I recognize some legit guilds but there are also a lot I’ve never heard of or with trolling names. This appears to be part trolling and part making a statement of some kind, with a ton of gold spent on it.

But I do find it entirely believable. I’ve been here since before the multi-bid days. Ghost guilds were a plague and many were named to mock other guilds. My donation-based guild is usually in Alinor. I snagged an Elden Root trader once, real David vs Goliath stuff. The next week an empty ghost guild was in Alinor named PTKrushed, I assume as intimidation or to send me a message. Can’t possibly imagine why folks call some of these guilds Mafia guilds. LOL

Trader guild fights on PS NA are a tale as old as time. It’s just this time they can’t disband any ghost guilds and “sell” the trader to another guild to hire, so for those spots… yup, somebody flushed a ton of gold down the toilet to grind axes.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do find it wild the major guilds who have no trader at all. You’d think a backup bid somewhere in the 10 possible backup bid locations would win. And some of the backup bid locations were… interesting choices. I would not have pegged Orsinium as one at all, for example.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the fallout didn’t completely wreck some of the sub capitals. Though it makes me a bit fearful what will happen next week.

But your original assertion that all 3 capitals had some glitch that allowed these guilds to quickly hire the traders post-flip is incorrect. I was online at the time of flip, watching for the result of my own bids (I’m the GM of The PTK’s). Open traders who had no bid placed on them do NOT open for hiring until 5 minutes after flip and they would have a blank guild tabard and no guild name above their head yet. The current guilds in the current capitals appeared on the trader tabards as soon as flip occurred, which means their bid won. And HAD there been some glitch where suddenly all 3 capitals were open for hire, there would have been a feeding frenzy of trader guild officers all standing around waiting to mash the hire button - and that’s only IF their guild had not already won a spot somewhere else.

It’s bizarre to witness, but trader flip happened the same way I’ve always seen it happen. Just that this time there was an Ocean’s 11 type allied heist. GMs of some of those guilds were even openly talking about it in zone chat. It’s not a mystery what happened.

Good to know. Thank you.

I know of a couple of major trader guild that actually just took the time to take a break for a week. And once it sunk in, they were well, good, and happy, for the opportunity. Basically a vacation paid for by the colossal waste of gold from the guilds that did it.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on 28 August 2024 19:39
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Good to know. Thank you.

I know of a couple of major trader guild that actually just took the time to take a break for a week. And once it sunk in, they were well, good, and happy, for the opportunity. Basically a vacation paid for by the colossal waste of gold from the guilds that did it.

Yeah, that’s kind of the irony in all this. The guilds who got outbid saved a boatload in winning bid money this week.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guild mate is in three major trading guilds. He said all three have their trader in kind of a 2nd tier location. Not a prime spot but not out in the middle of nowhere. Two of them adjusted their bid for their preferred location down to see if bidding cost has come down in response to sales being down.
    If bid prices do come down we will probably see a rotation of guilds randomly winning the prime spots. Eventually the price will settle in.
    This was on PCNA.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem like a coordinated effort might have been at work.

On the other hand if some sketchy gold was possibly used, maybe the bids were rendered invalid because of it. I’m just guessing here. I’m happy for someone else to run the guild and leave me out of it.

Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »

I don't ZOS had anything to do with it. In guild chat my GM said they put up some of their own gold to ensure that at least for one week their members had a capital city trader. That we should enjoy it and for this week no new applications would accepted because only that had been supporting them in past should benefit.

I checked the starter areas today. Bots still in full force.
    PS5/NA