Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anybody still have a Bowplar?

LittlePinkDot
LittlePinkDot
✭✭✭✭✭
Ive been hearing for a long time how bad Templar is because of jabs nerf. especially stamplar.
But I haven't heard much about bowplars for at least a year. Do you still think they are viable? Do you have one?
To me jabs isn't mandatory. You can still use radiant destruction as a stamplar because of hybridization..
And has anybody tried out the sundering soul morph of soul wield with a bowplar? I was thinking it could be a spammable with major breach used with Venom arrow for major sorcery.

How come I haven't heard anything about bowplar since gold road dropped? You would think the new scribing possibilities would've created at least a discussion about it.

There's no point in whining about jabs forever.
Anybody else here care to share and discuss their Bowplar builds?
Edited by LittlePinkDot on 13 August 2024 20:38
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont have a bowplar for pvp, but i could see it being done

power of the light + snipe with jesus beam to finish off low health targets, or utilize the knockback arrow + power of the light and an ult (toxic barrage or ballista, or a different bursty ult like meteor)

and you would still have a decent defensive kit to back bar

i wish i could give more advice on scribing skills, but i havent really been able to touch the system much due to severe lack of ink drops
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adapt a bow StamSorc build to Templar, it'll work, but won't be as good as it is on Sorc.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

power of the light + snipe with jesus beam to finish off low health targets, or utilize the knockback arrow + power of the light and an ult (toxic barrage or ballista, or a different bursty ult like meteor)

i wish i could give more advice on scribing skills, but i havent really been able to touch the system much due to severe lack of ink drops

Truthfully I don't understand power of the light. I unslotted it. I was using it with dizzying swing before and I never really noticed much..granted I can't hit the backside of a barn with dizzying swing....

So I'm changing her to a bowplar since I've had so much fun with my Bowcanist.

I'm going to try out sundering soul instead of snipe since the cast time on snipe is so bad. I haven't had much trouble getting ink... Having enough gold to buy the grimoires is my problem. I just use soul wield because it's free.

But it is a shame the only scribing bow skill is vault...
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Truthfully I don't understand power of the light. I unslotted it. I was using it with dizzying swing before and I never really noticed much..granted I can't hit the backside of a barn with dizzying swing....

So I'm changing her to a bowplar since I've had so much fun with my Bowcanist.

I'm going to try out sundering soul instead of snipe since the cast time on snipe is so bad. I haven't had much trouble getting ink... Having enough gold to buy the grimoires is my problem. I just use soul wield because it's free.

But it is a shame the only scribing bow skill is vault...

yeah i completely i agree with dizzy, i generally have a lot of problems hitting players in melee with almost any melee skill

power of the light is supposed to be a delayed dmg burst, but you need to be doing dmg while its active for to hit much, at worse its just debuffing the target/buffing you (as it applies sundered which is minor breach, and giving you the 100 dmg bonus from the sundered status as well)

its harder to hit the dmg cap it can absorb in pvp because all of the dmg is lowered, coupled with player resists and mitigations you could be dealing 25% of the normal dmg you would to an NPC, so you basically have to deal 4x as many attacks to do the same amount of dmg as against an npc

i would agree, im not really a fan of vault, like i get having a traversal skill is nice but not what im looking for

wield soul is pretty decent, you can make it cost stam, debuff and put the anchorites cruelty script on it, which is an oblivion dmg execute dot (every 5 sec at the cost of a soul gem)

during the event i spent time time in pvp with my pve templar (who still used all of his pve setup and still did alright), in this setup i use 2h/bow, though skill wise it was set up more for pve than pvp (and i was squishy as heck, but i could get a lot of kills with jesus beam)

a lot of the templars killing power definitely lies in jesus beam, its mostly how you get players into that execute range that makes a big difference
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, what stops you from picking much more broken lightning staff?
    It's not like your abilities are reliant on bow, and passives are way better.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can make jabs very strong but you have to go all in to boost it. With maelstrom merciless charge. It will add 1500 damage to jabs. Too hit the cap on the arena weapon of 550 you need like 6.2k or so weapon or spell damage.

Then you can consider adding something like night mothers gaze, deadly strike or orders wrath, or even dagons dominon to boost it even more. It should be critting for more than 2k -3k a tick along with procs of burning light.

It’s fun to play but it’s not as reliable as the one shot magplar/hybrid meta build. It’s more of a pressure build and should be much better after the undeath nerf.

You can back bar whatever set and not run a mythic to use a monster helm, or drop the monster helm for a mythic like saint and seducer. Also solar barrage will add 5% damage to your Templar abilities which is worth considering.
    Edited by Udrath on 14 August 2024 00:59
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whenever I build a templar and see it favor range, I wonder why not just play sorc. Curse us like an easier, more powerful POTL, Frag proc really offers something plar doesn't even have, hardened ward us greater than HTD, mist form or vault only offers half the utility of streak and is not even as good at that half. You can be tanky with living dark, vigor, restoring focus, and extended ritual but it's a lot of buttons to push compared to other, more passive class options

It really comes down to javelin and Radiant Oppression surrounding meteor

Only thing bow helps you with is some major expedition from roll dodge. Better off with destro
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on 13 August 2024 23:38
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

I do not heavy attack. I hate heavy attacking.
    Destruction staff doesn't return stamina. Need venom Arrow for major sorcery. Bow ultimate is better than destruction staff.
    And Comet doesn't exist for me. On console playing for 8 years I have 11 characters and not one of them has mages guild at max level. I'm not grinding a million stupid books with no add ons to find them. Screw that and a bag of chips. Hardly anyone else uses it either, probably for the same reason.

Not going to make an Orc a magplar, not going to waste money/crowns on changing her race when she's the only orc I have and probably the most beautiful Orc ESO has ever seen 😆
    Edited by LittlePinkDot on 13 August 2024 23:55
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Destruction staff doesn't return stamina. Need venom Arrow for major sorcery. Bow ultimate is better than destruction staff.
    And Comet doesn't exist for me. On console playing for 8 years I have 11 characters and not one of them has mages guild at max level. I'm not grinding a million stupid books with no add ons to find them. Screw that and a bag of chips. Hardly anyone else uses it either, probably for the same reason.

Not going to make an Orc a magplar, not going to waste money/crowns on changing her race when she's the only orc I have and probably the most beautiful Orc ESO has ever seen 😆

i think you can get mages guild xp from doing the mages guild daily, though its far less efficient than books, its probably immensely easier to do on console, and doing the guild daily also has a chance to give a consumable item in the rewards which directly grants xp for the specified skill line (mages, undaunted, or fighters as theres variant for each, i think they usually tend to drop from the respective daily boxes)

i certainly dont envy console players with stuff like surveys, treasure maps, or mages guild lorebooks lol

that being said i would agree the bow ultimate itself is pretty good, especially toxic barrage, if you catch a player unaware with it and it can apply a pretty heavy dot as long as at least 1 of the ticks lands

its like a better version of the soul magic ult lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i think you can get mages guild xp from doing the mages guild daily, though its far less efficient than books, its probably immensely easier to do on console, and doing the guild daily also has a chance to give a consumable item in the rewards which directly grants xp for the specified skill line (mages, undaunted, or fighters as theres variant for each, i think they usually tend to drop from the respective daily boxes)

i certainly dont envy console players with stuff like surveys, treasure maps, or mages guild lorebooks lol

that being said i would agree the bow ultimate itself is pretty good, especially toxic barrage, if you catch a player unaware with it and it can apply a pretty heavy dot as long as at least 1 of the ticks lands

My Bowcanist uses toxic barrage, it's really good. Seems most people on PlayStation don't block, if I don't lose line of sight they will get hit with every shot of it.

My sorc uses soul magic ult because I don't have comet.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My Bowcanist uses toxic barrage, it's really good. Seems most people on PlayStation don't block, if I don't lose line of sight they will get hit with every shot of it.

makes sense, most of the sorcs i see on PC usually seem to prefer using overload or negate for the most effectiveness, though im sure its still easier to use the soul strike ult on a console lol

the one thing ive had to be wary of with the toxic barrage is players who use the 1h/shield ult that reflects ranged attacks because its a series of direct attacks, where as soul strike i think is considered a dot (really long jesus beam without the execute)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

makes sense, most of the sorcs i see on PC usually seem to prefer using overload or negate for the most effectiveness, though im sure its still easier to use the soul strike ult on a console lol

the one thing ive had to be wary of with the toxic barrage is players who use the 1h/shield ult that reflects ranged attacks because its a series of direct attacks, where as soul strike i think is considered a dot (really long jesus beam without the execute)

I don't know how you can stand a mouse and keyboard for anything other than over the top view games like Diablo, star craft, Age of Empires, Surviving Mars Etc.

All character movement should only be point and click of the mouse. Shouldn't have to use arrow keys/left hand for any character movement.

Nothing completely ruins the game like having to use a keyboard for movement.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how you can stand a mouse and keyboard for anything other than over the top view games like Diablo, star craft, Age of Empires, Surviving Mars Etc.

All character movement should only be point and click of the mouse. Shouldn't have to use arrow keys/left hand for any character movement.

Nothing completely ruins the game like having to use a keyboard for movement.

more used to it lol, the only games i absolutely feel i need a controller for are fighting games, such as like street fighter, soul caliber, injustice, etc

i have tried to play those on a keyboard and it is difficult lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An update. I'm using shattered fate with wretched vitality back bar. Markyn ring and Valkyn Skoria.

So far I'm really liking PvP bowplar. Templars healing is pretty nuts and has a cleanse. With RAT and being Orc she's really fast. I though I would miss my Bowcanist's massive shield, but it turns out its not so bad without it.
    Use sundering soul with lingering torment and major breach instead of Snipe. Venom arrow for Major sorcery.

I'm going to use ballista instead of toxic barrage since ballista is a turret that allows me to use Jesus beam at the same time.

All I need now is enough gold mats to upgrade the bow.
    Thinking of changing the charged trait to Nirnhoned as soon as I can afford a nirnhoned bow to research that trait.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An update. I'm using shattered fate with wretched vitality back bar. Markyn ring and Valkyn Skoria.

So far I'm really liking PvP bowplar. Templars healing is pretty nuts and has a cleanse. With RAT and being Orc she's really fast. I though I would miss my Bowcanist's massive shield, but it turns out its not so bad without it.
    Use sundering soul with lingering torment and major breach instead of Snipe. Venom arrow for Major sorcery.

I'm going to use ballista instead of toxic barrage since ballista is a turret that allows me to use Jesus beam at the same time.

Thinking of changing the charged trait to Nirnhoned as soon as I can afford a nirnhoned bow to research that trait.

Isn't sundering soul tool tip quite a bit less than snipe?
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »

Yes but it has a much faster cast time. I can hit twice in the same time it takes snipe to hit once.
    And if I have multiple enemies around, like at a crazy king match, my snipe will always get interrupted by somebody.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been wondering about rebuilding my templar, just never got around to it. I should look into what I can come up with though, especially with scribing.

Vault seems fun, but I know about the issues with it. I'd have to do some testing.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »

Yes but it has a much faster cast time. I can hit twice in the same time it takes snipe to hit once.
    And if I have multiple enemies around, like at a crazy king match, my snipe will always get interrupted by somebody.

technically speaking, they should cast at the same rate, as the cast time for snipe is 0.8 sec which is less than 1 GCD

however because sundering soul lacks the cast time it still applies dmg faster and cannot be interrupted so thats the tradeoffs of it dealing a bit less dmg and range

if your doing mostly BGs, the ranges your dealing with you dont even really need snipe because most of the arenas are not that big
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do. And this is my my best damage build for PvP, I use it for duel or small scale sometimes.

Sets:
    Wretched vitality+balorgh+mec acuity+markyn.

Combo:
    POL+ lethal arrow+ shocking soul (with major breach)+ ballista+ aurora javelin+Jesus beam.

This can kill most of enemy you encounter. They doesn't think templar can do that kind of damage.

I did kill a well known tank(grand overload DK with 50k) in pvp.