Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Frozen Gate Ability Should Only Affect Mobs, Not Players

forum_gpt
forum_gpt
✭✭✭
I've been playing ESO for quite some time, and I wanted to bring up an issue regarding the Warden's ability, Frozen Gate. While this ability can be incredibly useful in PvE scenarios, its application in PvP has raised some concerns that I think need addressing.

Frozen Gate is designed to pull targets to a specific location, immobilizing them for a short duration. In PvE, this can be a strategic and effective way to control mobs and manage the battlefield. However, when used in PvP, it creates an unbalanced and often frustrating experience for players. Not only does it disrupt the flow of combat, but it has also become a tool for trolling and harassing other players.
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they need to figure out what to do with that skill. People sit on the bridge between Sej and Alessia all day just pulling people off the bridge with it. Half the time you get pulled through the wall which is bad enough, but then you fall into the water and die.
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gate is only ever used to troll people from my experience. Pulling people through doors and walls still isn't fully fixed and it happens quite often where I get, and see other people also get pulled through solid objects.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they need to figure out what to do with that skill. People sit on the bridge between Sej and Alessia all day just pulling people off the bridge with it. Half the time you get pulled through the wall which is bad enough, but then you fall into the water and die.

honestly, one morph should be a legitimate frost dps trap type skill. i don't see why it needs 2 tank morphs, one of which has a synergy that no-one knows about/uses. why not combine frozen retreat and device?
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on 17 July 2024 14:26
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pop an immovable when you go over bridges? But yes the keep wall exploits need to be fixed.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pop an immovable when you go over bridges? But yes the keep wall exploits need to be fixed.

The bridge is also an exploit. You get teleported past line of sight. If you were to stand in the middle of the bridge and try targeting the bridge trolls with an ability, you are not able to do so, yet they can still put a portal down and pull you.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to once again comment on the teleport synergy having applications and that it shouldn’t be removed from the game and then I realized this is about it pulling normally. Still leaving this comment to reiterate the SYNERGY shouldn’t be removed… but yeah I have no problem with the typical pull not affecting players.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

honestly, one morph should be a legitimate frost dps trap type skill. i don't see why it needs 2 tank morphs, one of which has a synergy that no-one knows about/uses. why not combine frozen retreat and device?

funny enough, that synergy itself can be an ally-troll on the bridge of cyro, if the person pulling enemies off has the version of this skill with the ally synergy, if an ally hits the synergy they also get launched into the water lol

been on both ends of that (enemy getting trapped, and ally hitting synergy) lol

i completely agree though that both morphs are darn near identical and dont really have much differentiating them
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get really annoyed when someone uses frozen gate on Alessia bridge and pulls me into the slaughterfish, but I still think it should work on players. Sometimes when a group member gets stuck somewhere a warden can pull them out with frozen gate, so it's not all bad.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bridge pull is an exploit just like Dark Convergence used to be. It pulls people to a place they can't recover from: if you get pulled to the bridge ledge, if you move you fall off.

As far as I've seen, there is no warning or ground marker (can anyone confirm?). You are just riding or running and you get pulled. (This is the same problem with RoA: no indication that its been cast 12m away, you just get pulled)

I've bugged it but ZOS does not seem to care.

There is a "basic principle" of fairness in PvP that has slipped occasionally: you need to be able to counter things. For example, even though I would prefer frozen gate left a mark on the ground like other AoE, if I get pulled inside a keep from it, I can usually counter but dodge rolling back out of the keep. When pulled onto the bridge there is not a way to get off the bridge without falling into the water. This violates the "basic rule".

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    The bridge pull is an exploit just like Dark Convergence used to be. It pulls people to a place they can't recover from: if you get pulled to the bridge ledge, if you move you fall off.

As far as I've seen, there is no warning or ground marker (can anyone confirm?). You are just riding or running and you get pulled. (This is the same problem with RoA: no indication that its been cast 12m away, you just get pulled)

I've bugged it but ZOS does not seem to care.

There is a "basic principle" of fairness in PvP that has slipped occasionally: you need to be able to counter things. For example, even though I would prefer frozen gate left a mark on the ground like other AoE, if I get pulled inside a keep from it, I can usually counter but dodge rolling back out of the keep. When pulled onto the bridge there is not a way to get off the bridge without falling into the water. This violates the "basic rule".

none of the "traps" show any kind of warning indicator

this includes frozen gate, the fire rune from mages guild, and the NB fear traps

i think beast trap doesnt show an indicator either but you can still see the physical trap on the ground, but its hard to spot in the middle of a fight

while the NB fear doesnt really do dmg, the fire rune is sometimes used in gank combos and the knockup takes too long to get out of you just get annihilated
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • forum_gpt
    forum_gpt
    ✭✭✭

The bridge is also an exploit. You get teleported past line of sight. If you were to stand in the middle of the bridge and try targeting the bridge trolls with an ability, you are not able to do so, yet they can still put a portal down and pull you.

there are so many spots on the bridge where you can't hit players when theyre clearly in line of sight, players will just run to that spot whenever theyre in danger
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gate is only ever used to troll people from my experience. Pulling people through doors and walls still isn't fully fixed and it happens quite often where I get, and see other people also get pulled through solid objects.

Scribing has just made bugs that exist in the game now accessible to more players and yet we all know how players find a way to exploit bugs once discovered.
    Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on 23 July 2024 17:27
  • forum_gpt
    forum_gpt
    ✭✭✭
    It appears that this ability, rather than serving a strategic purpose in PvP environments, is predominantly being utilized for harassment, trolling, and griefing. I would like to outline the concerns and propose a potential solution.
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do something, literally anything with this skill. It feels so useless and yet so trolly at the same time. They should turn the synergy morph into a legit dps skill and drop the enemy pull. As far as the other morph, ehh, maybe an experienced warden tank can give some ideas on what would work while not being trolly.

Honestly, how is frozen retreat supposed to help allies retreat if it also pulls enemies, it makes no sense. Literally tried to use it for this purpose years ago, got an ally to gap close to me, an enemy got pulled as well and then proceeded to kill my ally right in front of me. Wonderful, right? Should root enemies, do some aoe damage, maybe increase frost damage taken for 10-20s like dk fire breath for wardens, and give allies the synergy to gap close to caster
    Edited by _Ahala_ on 27 July 2024 01:19
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in IC its active. Chains are supressed so why isn't this?
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Ahala_ wrote: »
    Honestly, how is frozen retreat supposed to help allies retreat if it also pulls enemies, it makes no sense.

I wish they went for Daedric Minefield treatment and did an offensive morph and defensive morph.
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly have yet to see someone mention the fact that it can be used to pull enemy players away from ball groups in order to secure a kill. The same way DK chains is used. I haven't seen it used like ever but my Warden healer enjoys pulling hapless zerglings away to be singled out :D
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it needs to be nerfed. It's trolly sure but it makes for some fun gameplay. I was the victim of a Frozen Gate pull on Alessia bridge yesterday and it was hysterical.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't nerf fun. It's a big white circle -just don't stand in it or learn to bash on arrival.
  • forum_gpt
    forum_gpt
    ✭✭✭
    merevie wrote: »
    Please don't nerf fun. It's a big white circle -just don't stand in it or learn to bash on arrival.

Its invisible to enemies.
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭✭
    merevie wrote: »

"Nerf fun" if there was an ability that instantly killed anyone on the map, I'm sure a lot of people would find it fun, that doesn't make it fair, so the logic in that statement is lacking a little. Even with that being said, as previously pointed out, it is not visible to enemies at all, that is the issue.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Players love to request nerfs for skills and sets they don't run. Then complain the game is boring when everyone runs the same sets and playstyles. Let the bridge pullers have their fun whilst you have yours and stop calling for nerfs to unique gameplay mechanics.

You can simply block as you go over the bridge or adjust the path you run and never get pulled.

@Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I laughed the last time I got gated into the river. That's on me for not paying attention.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laughed the last time I got gated into the river. That's on me for not paying attention.

How do you pay attention to an invisible skill?

The way I see it, this skill is nearly the same as the dual wield scribing skill pulling people into areas to instant kill them. You have zero chance to see it coming and then you instantly die. Worse yet there are a ton of people still exploiting this skill to pull people into areas that shouldn't be possible. I've reported numerous players for trying to pull me into walls with video evidence and they are still out there doing it.

If customer support won't take action on accounts that are exploiting then its probably about time the devs change the skill to only work on mobs or change it entirely.
    Edited by Synapsis123 on 17 August 2024 19:20
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »
    I don't think it needs to be nerfed. It's trolly sure but it makes for some fun gameplay. I was the victim of a Frozen Gate pull on Alessia bridge yesterday and it was hysterical.

It might be fun for a vanishingly tiny subset of players (and even then it's mainly trolling which is not something that ZOS should necessarily be encouraging...) but for mainstream Wardens it makes zero sense that we have an entire ability basically banished to the shadow realm with two indistinguishable and completely useless morphs.

Similar situation exists for the awful Warden vine teleport and to a lesser degree Lotus, where the underlying skill is simply not useful for actually playing ESO or an ability is stuck with two morphs that do virtually the same thing.

So few Warden skills are actually useful to begin with we shouldn't simply accept wasted ability slots like Frozen Gate.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The skill needs to be completely reworked. It has practically no legitimate use in game. It is ONLY used as a tool for exploiting, griefing, and trolling.
    What little use it has in PVE can easily be compensated for elsewhere without allowing the toxic behavior that this skill currently facilitates. And then warden can get an actually useful skill that facilitates real gameplay instead.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on 19 August 2024 23:43
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I say this as someone that finds it hilarious to pull people off keep walls and put of their spawn in IC: Frozen Gate needs to go. Yes it's funny in a "this is ridiculous" kind of way, but it's literally only used for that: trolling players.