Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Gearing Up, Early Stages.

Dopybks
Dopybks
I have noticed this with other MMOs and looks to me like a common in game mechanic. Its the gear related quest rewards. I don't expect good gear rewarded to me on a plate but many of the rewards are useless to me. Im a dark elf Nightblade , nearly level 8, and have 2 level 4 white daggers, one of which I had to buy.
Why are many of the rewards not related to my class. It seems by the time I do get something good related to my class I have out levelled it. Being a thrifty player I don't want to have to buy everything for my character to keep my gear on par with my level. Whats the secret, if there is one?
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Craft, craft everything. Also, there is no Class related gear as any class can use any weapon and armor.
    You can make a Nightblade tank in HA and S&B or Healer in Light and Resto staff.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    It encourages people to craft (because you can breakdown or sell the rewards) and or engage with others to get gear. Which is my guess.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    As Zargorius said, it costs you almost nothing to collect materials, break down unwanted rewards and craft something decent yourself.
    I didn't see any drops ideal for my class and build in the first 10 levels but had no trouble making what I needed.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am currently playing my 4th toon to level 15 and I never encountered any gear problems. You can use any type of armor - on low level you will not have the armor skills you may need later to max dps or mitigation. Any tye of armor will make your armor skill lines level up as you proceed.
    As for weapons: craft them. Easy as that :)
  • Dopybks
    Dopybks
    Thankyou guys. Im so busy doing the quests I haven't really done to much crafting, although I have been collecting the nodes. I will knuckle down and get started.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    If you aren't getting what you want definitely craft. Though that is odd you haven't found more.

Now keep in mind the only real difference between a 1 handed sword, 1 handed axe, and dagger is just appearance. Though I understand if you are going for style and wanting to stick to twin daggers.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dopybks wrote: »
    Thankyou guys. Im so busy doing the quests I haven't really done to much crafting, although I have been collecting the nodes. I will knuckle down and get started.

BTW, leveling goes faster when you are breaking down items that you haven't created (ie. weapons or armors you find around). I am at lvl 8 and it's really slow raising it by just creating items (though in my case it could have to do with the fact that I should be creating steel items but I am still lvl 10 class-wise)
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    If you aren't getting what you want definitely craft. Though that is odd you haven't found more.

Now keep in mind the only real difference between a 1 handed sword, 1 handed axe, and dagger is just appearance. Though I understand if you are going for style and wanting to stick to twin daggers.

Apparently different type of weapons have different effects: like daggers give better crits, axes a bleed etc etc
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wich is completely irrelevant on low levels.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I never seem to loot medium armor so i still run around in just a medium armor jacket from a quest reward and for the rest in my underpants. Oh well i haven't died yet.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • JamieK81
    JamieK81
    Hmm, breaking down weapons and armour you loot.......hmm, nothing...i never get anything like that to break down, just pure crap, like lures for fishing which net no profit at all, just 0g value vendor trash.

Oh well.
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    You guys playing on another universe than me right?
    I have plenty stuff to break down. Lotsa staves, weapons and armor. Do you ever really LOOT the enemies you slay? You check on every box, barrel, sack, chests that cross your way? I am deeply embarrassed.

No need only to take on medium armor - does anyone ever READ actually before posting? You can wear ANY ARMORTYPE YOU FIND IT DOESNT PLAY A ROLE AT LOW LEVELS!
    So, before running around naked, wear those silken robe or whatever crosses your way. Any armor will do the trick for you.
  • JamieK81
    JamieK81
    Feimerdre wrote: »
    I have plenty stuff to break down. Lotsa staves, weapons and armor. Do you ever really LOOT the enemies you slay? You check on every box, barrel, sack, chests that cross your way? I am deeply embarrassed.

No need only to take on medium armor - does anyone ever READ actually before posting? You can wear ANY ARMORTYPE YOU FIND IT DOESNT PLAY A ROLE AT LOW LEVELS!
    So, before running around naked, wear those silken robe or whatever crosses your way. Any armor will do the trick for you.

I loot everything that is lootable and i never get weapons or gear of any kind, just ingredients for cooking and lure for fishing.

Its down to pure random luck and you are getting all the luck.
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamieK81 wrote: »
    Hmm, breaking down weapons and armour you loot.......hmm, nothing...i never get anything like that to break down, just pure crap, like lures for fishing which net no profit at all, just 0g value vendor trash.

Oh well.

Impossible. I have to keep dropping stuff because my bags are full and a good part of it are armor pieces and weapons. Between locked chests, quests and mobs, there is a lot. What level are you?
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I know i can wear any armor. But i just don't want to. I would if i would die more often but since i am mostly in a group im save.

But yeah, the loot is plenty :smile: Found a load of weapons which i could sell.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to stick to medium for RP reasons you are totally fine if you craft them yourself. This will take you about an hour farming the leather off from level 4-8 wolves and crabs and stuff and about 5 minutes at the crafter station in the next town...
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to stick to medium for RP reasons you are totally fine if you craft them yourself. This will take you about an hour farming the leather off from level 4-8 wolves and crabs and stuff and about 5 minutes at the crafter station in the next town...

Hmm didn't think of that, and i got loads of leather. Although i also was RP'ing i couldn't craft. I do provisioning and alchemy. I will ask my wife is she wants to craft it for me.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    I have found that armor type doesn't really matter that much in early levels. You're going to find a combination of heavy, medium, and light most likely, so just use whatever pieces you do find. You're probably going to want to level up all 3 types anyway. If you just use what you find, you'll have an amalgamation of all 3, though maybe not in the specific slots you want them. It doesn't really matter from a game play standpoint, though.

For weapons, you definitely want a specific weapon type, so you either deal with using what you happen to find (which at times will be under-leveled), or you take up wood-working or smithing, depending on your desired weapon type. Or, you buy from a crafter.

Not saying I particularly like it, just saying that's the reality.
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can craft level 10 or 12 gear without a single point spent in clothier. Everyone can craft low level items of any making. Afaik you can only max out 2 crafting professions but you still can craft anything at low level.