Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

fast internet

Rlacoste
Rlacoste
✭✭✭
how fast internet speed is required to PVP? I watch Youtubers with unimaginable FPS and low latency that makes me drool, I can't 1vs1 at 33fps. lag is ok using gaming VPN, unless near ball grps or that god forsaken hammer. 33fps with 999+ ping trying to fight players with 144fps with low ping abusing pull mechanics and non existent CC immunity isn't fun.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FPS is how fast your PC draws the game to the screen, not the internet connection speed.
  • Sync01
    Sync01
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, it doesn't matter how good your internet is because the issue is with the game.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how does high fps help? Can you respond to attacks within 1/100 second?
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of network hops is one contest you can't win.
    Your physical location compared to the server location will be detrimental

Australia - New Zealand - Hawaii - Continental US - Europe.
    Each jump takes it's toll.

Players in Sydney and Melbourne will cite 330ms ping. Players in Auckland will cite 270ms.
    My figure is 370-450 as I tether to my phone's connection.
    Haven't ever seen Hawaii or Guam figures.
    I haven't worked out why Satellite is so poor (750-999); it's still lightspeed transmission.

I find 30fps is entirely acceptable, but that's on minimum video quality specs.
    That varies however, when ping increases or high CP players are around.

If you have high latency, don't expect everything to work as expected.
    That said I've done many trials over the years, so it works 'adequately' for those.
    People upstairs make so much noise
    Drive me mad with their electrical toys
    Louder and louder

Midnight Oil ~ Place Without A Postcard ~ 1981

(requirements not met)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Satellite is slow as most are in Geosynchronous Orbit, so 23000 miles away, 46000 miles round trip. Elon's service is low orbit, but there are other bottlenecks in that path. Although, even Geo should only be 250 or so MS.
    Edited by Nestor on 4 July 2024 22:47
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Bammlschwamml
    Bammlschwamml
    ✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »
    how does high fps help? Can you respond to attacks within 1/100 second?

More frames per second don't make the lag go away, but they help you see better. Movements are smoother and it's easier on the eyes.

Really low fps combined with lag is horrible to play and no fun at all.

If you want to experience the difference, try Cyrodiil on a high end PC and then on Playstation 4. I bet you won't like the PS4 experience.

Not sure what causes lag. Sometimes the game works well for me, sometimes it doesn't. PS5 version of the game works better than the PS4 version (even when i play the PS4 version on my PS5). When i do speed tests i get 20-30ms ping and 50 down / 10 up. Should be more than enough for a game like ESO. Will know if Fibre makes a difference in a few weeks.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »
    I haven't worked out why Satellite is so poor (750-999); it's still lightspeed transmission.
    Lightspeed through a medium is not the same as lightspeed through a vacuum. On top of that you're bouncing from your home to the satellite back to a ground station and then finally off to the races. Those distances are pretty big leaps to make even at lightspeed and you've got to do it twice. Couple that with extreme limits of bandwidth from the providers which requires more work for them to manage traffic and on top of that then you've got lots of extra re-transmissions because more data tends to get lost or mangled along the way. It's honestly a miracle of engineering that people can do anything on the internet with those issues.
  • Rlacoste
    Rlacoste
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies, yes I do realize fps is GPU side and I mentioned both fps and ping in hopes someone had a miracle fix for both. I have tweaked my PC and network as much as I can to get more performance in Cyro so I can actually 1vs1 for a change.
    P.S. to you 1vs1ers (I see you chasing players that are trying to get out of the fight cause 1vs1 at 33fps isn't a competitive edge) if you have that competitive edge: LEAVE ME ALONE hahahaha

We're not running away cause we suck or hate dying, we run away cause we can't fight back and do not want to give you any satisfaction lol
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sync01 wrote: »
    To be honest, it doesn't matter how good your internet is because the issue is with the game.

This is the answer. ESO is the only game I play that gives me any kind of severe lag, glitching and overall terrible performance on the PvP side of things. I still play Battlefield 4 regularly and that game is 9 years old and runs smooth as butter, lol
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    speed doesn't matter, it's' the servers that cant cope .
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say you'd have to at least reserve yourself 25mpbs download/1mbps upload. Try FSR setting to get yourself more fps. You need at least your monitor refresh rate to feel smooth.

Now just a rant about latency.

It's the way the game is coded. They only test on internal server and have absolutely no thought for anyone outside of sub 100ms.

The game is overly tuned to ask for permission from the sever if it's ok for you to skill. You cant 'prefire' like in FPS. For some of us in Aus, you can easily test this by using melee skills with a cast time in battlegrounds. Makes the game feel extra laggy when you get stuck in animation and billed for GCD. Sound plays too ha.

They could just put the damage calculation outside and allow the animations to fall. Would at least make the game more fluid. The client will always put you through the GCD.

I've watched myself on streams and it's nothing like what I see on my screen. I look really silly. I've got 2 PC's next to each at my place. If you have both players standing next to each other, look in between both screen, jump on one, the one you pressed jump on will nearly land before the other one starts to jump. That's how slow it is.
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not gambling or paying 45 : lol :
    20% base speed for high ping players.
    Streak moves you faster then speed cap.
    Khajiit has the best damage passive in the game, lol 12%. Insane.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even with a ping of only 60ms and enough power to clock 240 fps on ultra+ with reshades enabled the game lags in cyro due to it being a sever issue

You wanna PvP without lag, go play bgs
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silky_soft wrote: »
    The game is overly tuned to ask for permission from the sever if it's ok for you to skill.
    I mostly agree with this. I'd say it's more accurate that the game is overly dependent on the assumption that we all have rocksolid, low-latency connections. And then they build mechanics based on that assumption - like the poison aoes in vMA Stage 7, or the pull-sets used by groups in Cyrodiil.
    You cant 'prefire' like in FPS. For some of us in Aus, you can easily test this by using melee skills with a cast time in battlegrounds. Makes the game feel extra laggy when you get stuck in animation and billed for GCD. Sound plays too ha.
    Being stuck in a cast-time skill has more to do with the server and client loosing contact with each other. Sometimes it's just the nature of the internet and there's nothing zos can do to fix that. A lot of times it's clearly the server failing to keep up with the workload and incoming inputs start getting purged so that it can avoid the spiral of death. There's everything Zos can do about this. I'm pretty sure there's some bugs on the client that also cause it when the server is lagging and things get so badly out of sync that you just get stuck.
    They could just put the damage calculation outside and allow the animations to fall. Would at least make the game more fluid. The client will always put you through the GCD.
    I think you could argue both ways with this. It feels very frustrating when skills don't feel like they are working. But it's also not a great time when you think you landed a combo because the game said so only to find nothing in the last three seconds actually ever happened. Pick your poison: Lack of accuracy or frustrating feedback.
    I've watched myself on streams and it's nothing like what I see on my screen. I look really silly. I've got 2 PC's next to each at my place. If you have both players standing next to each other, look in between both screen, jump on one, the one you pressed jump on will nearly land before the other one starts to jump. That's how slow it is.
    Unfortunately, this is the reality of networked gaming. I see the same thing on a daily basis even when testing networked games locally on the same machine. Adding a few hundred-to-several-thousand miles is only going to exacerbate this. There literally is nothing ZoS can do to fix this. It's just physics.

Edited by Sluggy on 7 July 2024 13:11
  • Diundriel
    Diundriel
    ✭✭✭
    i mostly got no lag in cyro even in bigger fights with eso ping being around 40-60 mostly. Normal ping via Ookla speedtest to Frankfurt (PC EU) is like 3ms for me. FPS wise, I play 4k ultra with increased range and details (you can adjust settings file) for more settings than ingame - got i5 13th Gen / 4080.
    On my Macbook it is completly unplayable (16inch, 2019 i7 with external amd graphics)... unless you wanna play 1990s roblox in 720p or less xD
    My advice: Get a LAN cable for reduced and more stable ping for any MMO / ESO Endgame Content and atleast i5 desktop cpu of the last few years (unless you only play full hd then you are probably fine with 2014/2015 desktop hardware)
    GM of former Slack Squad PvP Raid Guild
    Our Vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLwZNZlv8an4p-xNoboE7w

Characters:
    Zoe'la- AD Magplar AvA 50 x2.5
    Not Zoe'la- DC Magplar AvA 27
    Worst Healbot EU- EP Magplar AvA 20
    Diundriel- AD StamNB AvA 39
    Pugs Got Bombed- AD ManaNB AvA 36
    Cause we have dots- AD ManaSorc AvA 35
    Red Zergs Again- AD StamDen AvA 30
    Synergy Spam Bot- AD MagDK AvA 17
    Heals of Cyrodiil- AD ManaDen AvA 14
    Nawrina- DC StamDK AvA 26
    Not Ganking- StamNB PVE DD
    Stack Pls- DC ManaNB AvA 20
    Der Katzenmensch- AD AvA 30
    Der kleine Troll- DC StamDen AvA 25
    and some I deleted and new ones I am to lazy to add so well above 250 Mio AP and 7 Former Emperor Characters

PvE: multiple Flawless Conqueror Chars, Spirit Slayer, vAS +2, vCloudrest +3, vRG, vKA, vCrag hms, vDSA 43,5k score ...
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »

Geo-stationary satellites are a LONG way away, 22,000 miles. At the speed of light, it is still 700ms away. Starlink satellites are in low earth orbit, so lower ping.

You also have to add the latency of every other player in range, the server has to sync changes to every client. That is why ball groups spamming aoe's cause lag and desync.

• BlackRaidho
    BlackRaidho
    ✭✭✭
    FPS and Latency are not reliable.

First : did you unlock the FPS cap in the settings ? That's help.

Second : Is your computer good enough to maintain this game poorly optimize and very demanding ?

You can test some adjusments in the video settings to make it smoother.
    For exemple : cut off shadows, you'll see a MASSIVE difference in FPS drops.
  • Caecus0
    Caecus0
    ✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »

Unfortunately, this is the reality of networked gaming. I see the same thing on a daily basis even when testing networked games locally on the same machine. Adding a few hundred-to-several-thousand miles is only going to exacerbate this. There literally is nothing ZoS can do to fix this. It's just physics.

With all due respect, this is mostly false. ESO's netcode is a serious problem and there is most certainly something they can do about it. I have played many online games with buddies at my place, and the amount of delay you see with ESO is still leagues worse than other online games I've played despite living in Northeast NA. Yes, there is a limit to how much they can do due to physics, but people need to stop running defense for ESO's bad delay by attributing it to ONLY physics, because it is just not the case.

EDIT: My post did some weird stuff
    Edited by Caecus0 on 10 July 2024 17:45
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caecus0 wrote: »
    Sluggy wrote: »

With all due respect, this is mostly false. ESO's netcode is a serious problem and there is most certainly something they can do about it. I have played many online games with buddies at my place, and the amount of delay you see with ESO is still leagues worse than other online games I've played despite living in Northeast NA. Yes, there is a limit to how much they can do due to physics, but people need to stop running defense for ESO's bad delay by attributing it to ONLY physics, because it is just not the case.

EDIT: My post did some weird stuff

I'm not referring to the nonesense where your skills suddenly develop cast times or you can't walk through a door properly. I'm referring to the usual stuff where people run in a straight line five feet in front of their partner and then look over their shoulder at their partner's screen and see that they are now five feet behind them. This is normal stuff. Of course there are all kinds of issues with position desyncing and lag that I even mentioned in that very same post. But my comment here specifically in reference to what that person was describing.