Impen

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hi all ,

I know impen gives a 124 amount to critical resistances however how big is 124?! How much % reduction is it really?

I am asking because i wonder if a crit resistance of 1650 would indeed be much much better than for instance 1000.

I just dont really know how to value those numbers.

Also is the impen only mitigation the crit dmg or the whole damage of that attack.

Lets day a skill fires 10K dmg and when it would crit , it would do 15K .
Would then impen mitigate the full 15 K or only that 5k coming from crit dmg?

Best Answers

• divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Udrath wrote: »
    Base critical damage modifier is 50%. Most people have 60-70% from passives and minor buffs. Some people have 90-125% critical damage (125% is the max)

3300 critical resist will mitigate base line crit damage (50%). 1800 will resist 23% or so critical damage.

You didn't take into account that all players have crit resistance without any equipment, afaik it was 20%. That's what makes building crit builds for PvP hard task, and only NBs has reasonable returns from investing in crit damage (guaranteed crits) and sorcs go for crits for surge procs, but they don't care much about damage.
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on who youre fighting

i know one player on xbox na who runs a very high crit build who destroys 95% of players (not gonna say his build as i find it annoying)

when he’s on, i sometimes switch to rallying cry, otherwise he just spams arterial burst and shreds ppl

but against most players, i think any impen over 3k is better spent elsewhere
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • Sporigudinai
    Sporigudinai
    ✭✭✭
    The Percentage Reduction is subtracted from the attacker's Critical Damage bonuses.

For Example: Without any bonuses to Critical Damage, an attacker would have a 1.5 Critical Damage bonus. If you have a full set of Impenetrable body armor in gold quality, for 258 * 7 = 1806 Critical Resistance, on a CP160+ character this comes out to 1806 / 66 = 27.4% Percentage Reduction. This comes out to (1.5 - 0.274) = 1.226 Critical Damage multiplier for incoming damage. In other words, a 1000 damage hit that would normally do 1500 upon critical strike will now only do 1226 damage upon critical strike to the Resistant target (a 22.3% reduction in incoming damage from that Critical Strike).

Critical damage resistance 66 = 1% Critical Damage Reduction.

Source
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Critical_Resistance
    PC-NA
    Options
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks

Then 1800 crit resist does not seem to be very high damage mitigation , knowing how much other stats you have to give up … isnt it ?

Would it be better in pvp to go divines then?

Because in my opinion it seems still a lot of dmg coming in if you already invested up to 1800 impen
    Options
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Base critical damage modifier is 50%. Most people have 60-70% from passives and minor buffs. Some people have 90-125% critical damage (125% is the max)

3300 critical resist will mitigate base line crit damage (50%). 1800 will resist 23% or so critical damage.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crit is burst. Your base crit resistance is 20%. A character's base crit damage modifier is +50%. However, let's say you are being attacked by a nightblade and they have Minor Force from Race Against Time along with their class passives. Their crit damage modifier is, then, +70%. They could well have more, such as from CP, Khajiit passives, and armor buffs.

If someone hits you with a lucky succession of crits, they may suddenly do 50%+ more damage than they "normally" would. This may catch you off guard. Crit resistance blunts the impact from that, especially when your opponent's burst combo crits. It thereby lessens the chance that you are suddenly killed without seeing it coming. In particular, it makes you harder to gank.

Impen was the #1 PvP gear choice years ago, before nerfs, and before everyone got base crit resist. These days it's more balanced and a question of where you get it from. Rallying Cry and CP are the top choices.

Divines is really only a choice for gankers and bombers in my book. I guess that's not 100% true, since it's a flexible trait, but anyhow, the common traits used in PvP include a mixture of Reinforced on a (heavy) chest, Well-Fitted for dodge rolling, and Sturdy if you are, say, a blocking DK. Along with some Impen.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    In Pvp i sometimes see people jumping all the time. Does that have any effect at all?

I know in shooter games it is usualy done to make it harder to Headshot someone. But in a MMO such as Eso i dont know what would be the use

Is jumping adding value to your defense ?

Another question about healthbars , shields and trauma. What the hell is trauma ?
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AFAIK bunny-hopping is mainly a habit some players have, who have played other games. That said, there are some advantages to jumping, such as:
    • Shooting at people who are just slightly over a hill.
    • Turning 180 to look behind you while still moving forward.
    • The fast jump. If you sprint and/or you have high speed in general (Major Expedition etc.), jumping right after sprinting may carry you further. This is a bit random, though.
    I am not aware that constant jumping has any advantage. It possibly makes you a more erratic target in duels, but I don't know.
    Edited by fred4 on 19 June 2024 16:59
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    Options
  • Sporigudinai
    Sporigudinai
    ✭✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    In Pvp i sometimes see people jumping all the time. Does that have any effect at all?

I know in shooter games it is usualy done to make it harder to Headshot someone. But in a MMO such as Eso i dont know what would be the use

Another question about healthbars , shields and trauma. What the hell is trauma ?

Jump is a good way to avoid some atacks, to get trought some obstacules while fighting, to better compass your skills
    PC-NA
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Technically, there isn't really a "max" crit damage in PvP. Much like Armor in PvP, where it's OK to go over the max of 33k because people have pen, it's okay to go over the max crit damage since people have crit resist.

If I have 150% crit damage (i.e., 25% over the max), and the target has 25% crit resist or more, I'm not wasting any crit damage. People have lots of crit resist these days with Rally Cry being so prevalent.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on 20 June 2024 14:28
    Options
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    @fred4 Hi there. I value your opinions so hence the @ ;-)

I was wondering if you or someone else could help with an optimalisation in my build. I am a magsorc and i am trying a different build then previously. Instead of going max mag , i now went in to the rallying cry + wretched vitality. I like the build and it works better than expected. I use shield to proc rallying cry and have 40% crit chance fb. I also have elemental which procs major breach

This means i get the 1600 crit resist buff from that 5 piece set which makes me wonder if i should use impen still for my defenses on my armor. I now only have chest heavy —> reinforced, and legs and breaches are also heavy but impen. Would it be wise to actually make those impen , reinforced instead ?
    Options
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭

Do you mean that 3300 crit resist would negate 50% crit damage totally (meaning no crit dmg would be done ?)

Or would you say its 50% of the 50% crit dmg ?

In other words. Lets say someone only has the normal 50%crit dmg and that person attacks me and i have 3300 resist. Would inthen have 0’extra dmg from that crit ? Thanks !!!!
    Options
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭

Technically, there isn't really a "max" crit damage in PvP. Much like Armor in PvP, where it's OK to go over the max of 33k because people have pen, it's okay to go over the max crit damage since people have crit resist.

If I have 150% crit damage (i.e., 25% over the max), and the target has 25% crit resist or more, I'm not wasting any crit damage. People have lots of crit resist these days with Rally Cry being so prevalent.

In the stats it says the cap is 125% crit damage? That’s what I meant by the maximum amount of crit damage possible. You’d need 8250 crit resist to counter this.
    Options
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Buy if i already have 3k crit resistence , would you then still advise me to go impen for 3 armor gears , or better to go reinforced on heavy pieces ?
    Options
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Jump is a good way to avoid some atacks, to get trought some obstacules while fighting, to better compass your skills

And which attacks exactly will get avoided by simply jumping?
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And which attacks exactly will get avoided by simply jumping?
    Those where you jump through a small gap and LoS ;). I'm not kidding either, see below video at about 1:12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm_Eb1W6snM
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Do you mean that 3300 crit resist would negate 50% crit damage totally (meaning no crit dmg would be done ?)

Or would you say its 50% of the 50% crit dmg ?

In other words. Lets say someone only has the normal 50%crit dmg and that person attacks me and i have 3300 resist. Would inthen have 0’extra dmg from that crit ? Thanks !!!!
    Correct.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

In the stats it says the cap is 125% crit damage? That’s what I meant by the maximum amount of crit damage possible. You’d need 8250 crit resist to counter this.
    You started off by saying people can have / take up to 125% critical damage. For the benefit of the OP: You can take at most +125% from critical damage. But how could this happen in PvP?

Well, the attacking player can have more than 125% crit damage on paper. They can have, for example, 145%. If they attack an NPC with that amount, the NPC will only take 125%, because of the cap and, because the NPC has no crit resistance, the attacking player has overinvested into crit damage and 20% of it goes to waste. When he attacks a player, however, they all have 20% crit resist by default / at minimum. This is subtracted from the crit damage modifier of the attacker. So his crit damage modifier against "naked" players would be 145% - 20% = 125%, right at cap. None of it is wasted. The cap only comes into play after crit resistance of the target has been subtracted.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @fred4 Hi there. I value your opinions so hence the @ ;-)

I was wondering if you or someone else could help with an optimalisation in my build. I am a magsorc and i am trying a different build then previously. Instead of going max mag , i now went in to the rallying cry + wretched vitality. I like the build and it works better than expected. I use shield to proc rallying cry and have 40% crit chance fb. I also have elemental which procs major breach

This means i get the 1600 crit resist buff from that 5 piece set which makes me wonder if i should use impen still for my defenses on my armor. I now only have chest heavy —> reinforced, and legs and breaches are also heavy but impen. Would it be wise to actually make those impen , reinforced instead ?
    I would absolutely not spend on retraiting my gear. Crit resist into the 4,000s can be useful and your Rallying Cry uptime isn't always perfect. If I was making new gear and was building for Rallying Cry, maybe I wouldn't go Impen, but it's all a wash when it comes to body gear traits. I have never reached a firm conclusion on what's better for my own use. Also bear in mind that Rallying Cry gets watered down when you group up.
    Options