Lockpicking

nightshadedark_ESO
nightshadedark_ESO
Soul Shriven
I think there should be a quest with a tutorial to give folks a leg up on lockpicking, it is a turn off on how counter intuitive it is in practice.
  • Krello
    Krello
    i got so pwnd in Skyrim hope its better here
    Beer 30, your never late
    Options
  • sillysuliman_ESO
    There should be a quick in game tutorial... ie. "Wow, this is your first chest, lets help you figure it out..."

Other than, click each pin, wiggle, stop clicking. Pretty easy.
    Options
  • Hexcaliber
    Hexcaliber
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't failed a lock yet, including experts, its not hard; the first time you try it tells you on screen what you have to do. L2READ, if you are still stuck press F1 and search lock picking.
    Edited by Hexcaliber on 3 April 2014 07:15
    Regards Hexcaliber.
    Options
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    Krello wrote: »
    i got so pwnd in Skyrim hope its better here
    God I wish it was as simple as Skyrim, that would be something. I've seen this type of lockpick puzzle before.. everquest maybe.. or an earlier es game.. dunno.. I find it is horrible, it's hard enough without the timer being added in. And the loot you get for your effort.. was of time.

Options
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing I did back in Skyrim was to install a mod that cheats me over that stupid lockpicking mini-games.
    Really sad that this is not an option here anymore... that being said, with a little practice it does really get a little easier.
    Until I broke about 15 or so picks doing a master lock - and the stuff in it was just crap. Yeah, that's right. C-R-A-P!
    Now I just pretend I have an invisible chest mod...
    Options
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are dozens of tutorials on You Tube.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
    Options
  • Lucani
    Lucani
    Soul Shriven
    I came across an "Impossible" difficulty locked chest, it was greyed out from the start and no other player around so I couldn't even make an attempt at the lock, does anyone know if this is a bug or am I just missing something? Saw someone else open another (In a different zone).
    Options
  • siegbjam
    siegbjam
    Is "impossible" a difficulty level of the chest or does it mean that it's not possible to open it due lack of skill level/quest chest...
    Options
  • Polaritie
    Polaritie
    In the main games, "impossible" means you must find a key, normally it's a quest thing.
    Options
  • Jochamo
    Jochamo
    I don't know why, but the mechanic has always (even in Beta) been different for me. Instead of left clicking and letting go when the pin "wiggles", I have to right click to set the pin. It is annoying and it must be easier just to "click" and "let go".

Does anyone know of a setting that I may have accidentally changed?
    Options
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's to easy in my opinion, i haven't failed a single one yet. Although i do like the mini game.

For those who have no clue, it's quite simple once you figure it out. Simply hold down the left mouse button until you hear a rattle and see a jiggle, as soon as you hear and see let go of the left mouse button and the pin will ping into place. Repeat on every pin and enjoy your reward that's more than likely something you don't use. :P
    Options
  • mercenaryaieb17_ESO
    I really love ESO's lock-picking mini-game!
    It's fun, the challenge level is good, and it's aesthetically pleasing.
    All in all, it's definitely better than lockpicking mini-games in Skyrim, Amalur etc.

tl;dr lockpicking is one of my favorite mechanics in ESO, please keep it as it is now :)
    Options
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    If you don't enjoy the chest mini-game, just don't try to unlock chests. You won't lose out on insanely good content from not activating them. That being said, they're ridiculously easy, and that's coming from someone with the hand eye coordination of an idiot...
    Options
  • hakujouryunub18_ESO
    I also love the Lock picking mechanics! I have failed a few, broken a few picks trying, but it's so fun.

:warning: Tip: on some of the pins, they sway a bit to the left before they wiggle, if you let go then, it usually is close enough to the "Sweet Spot" to stick. :wink:
    Options
  • Skelfish
    Skelfish
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to the OP's actual suggestion, yes, a brief tutorial or a pop up BEFORE you open your first chest would be helpful to players. The first time I tried to open a chest, I didn't see a pop up telling me what to do until after I failed to open it.
    I think there should be a pop up like with crafting that pauses the countdown timer until you exit it.
    Options