Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Sorcerer Class did I pick the most versatile race?

Clarebear
Clarebear
✭✭
I picked High Elf for my Sorcerer but I found some info out last night about some of the game mechanics and what not...long story short I would really like my Sorcerer to be able to do a bit of everything but not have to wield a staff all the time. I want to melee use a bow wear various types of armour depending on what I am doing...

So what I have been thinking is that maybe I should of gone Khajiit instead for the melee aspect part and Health Regen and though I don't know if that is really going to matter. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

And Yes I do like High Elf looks wise I also like Khajiit looks wise...I just don't want to find out late game that the bonuses to magika and spell damage actually make me better overall and regret having changed races.

And yes I am one of those freaks who likes to try to get the best racials they can but with a catch it has to be a race I like looking at otherwise there is no point. Though in this case not sure if I picked the best class for racials lol.
  • Clarebear
    Clarebear
    ✭✭
    Anyone? Any help from people that were in beta or in general that have read a lot about what was going on about the game would be much appreciated.
  • Karkashan
    Karkashan
    If you wanna use a bow and be a sorcerer at the same time then I would recommend using a Bosmer, as they are designed around using them.
    grimabepraised
  • GaBacon
    GaBacon
    ✭✭
    I have a dark elf dual weilding sorcerer. Basicaly a terror machine. It is intense.

Now as far as the most versatile class, i would have to say the Templar would be my choice so far.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't put too much emphasis on racials. No race will cripple a class. Play what you want. For more info on various builds by players who been playing Sorc for over a year, head over here. http://tamrielfoundry.com/forum/classes/sorcerer-class/
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only bonus bosmer gets for a bow is leveling it up a little faster. Once the skill is 50, that trait is meaningless.

The racial bonuses are nice, but definitely not a must-have. You can always put more points into health when leveling instead of magicka with your high elf to even it out.
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    I had a sorcerer with a two-hander but deleted him as he was too squishy. Dragon knight with flame might be better way to go in my opinion.
    I survived the great ESO launch disaster 2014 B)
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Well to be honest, Templar is the most versatile class because you get what no other class has - a healing skill line. Which means you can go full offense and still keep that healing spell handy for when you need it.

But, that being said, all classes are viable as pretty much anything. Nothing stopping you from rolling a sorcerer and going heavy armor with a stamina build and using no magicka skills whatsoever. Just like I can (and did) roll a magicka-based build using no melee or heavy armor at all.

Racials may help a little, but in no way do they define a playstyle. This game relies on active play and skills more than just stats. So not every percentage point is important and I wouldn't sacrifice my playstyle, race or even looks just to get that extra few percent. It won't give you an edge.
  • shirwynpreub18_ESO
    By no means an expert, my highest level so far is Level 9, but if I understand it correctly most of the racial advantages in terms of weapons are about how quickly you advance your skills with a weapon. It doesn't add anything to the final cap. Secondary racial skills look like they'd be nice to have but not essential. The most I saw was a 15% advantage. Important if you're trying to min/max I suppose but this game doesn't feel like min/maxing is going to be essential.

All I could suggest is going to a web site like the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Page ( http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online ) and checking out the race section.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government... except for every other that has ever been tried."
    Winston Churchill
  • Clarebear
    Clarebear
    ✭✭
    So then if I really wanted to I could go Khajiit for my race and still be fine...Regardless of if I am playing a Battlemage type character or a pure caster?
  • ksaggies04ub17_ESO2
    GaBacon wrote: »
    I have a dark elf dual weilding sorcerer. Basicaly a terror machine. It is intense.

Now as far as the most versatile class, i would have to say the Templar would be my choice so far.

Hey - could you expand on your build? Is it more AOE or single-target? I'm doing a dark elf 2-hander sorc and really like it so far. I'm looking at maybe switching to dual wielding down the road. I'm curious what skills and morphs you like.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I had an Orc/Sorcerer/Restoration Staff/Summoning/Heavy Armor build in beta. It was great for soloing but I never tried it in PvP. Like others have said race is just one tool in the toolbox.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House