Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

No Minimap.......

SoulSeekerUSA
SoulSeekerUSA
✭✭✭
Okay, so I get the no AH, they wanted to try something different. But seriously no minimap? That is just a quality of life type thing. So what is the purpose of something so obviously needed been removed?
  • Vallaure
    Vallaure
    there is an add-on that can be used to add a mini-map, and it works fine
  • SoulSeekerUSA
    SoulSeekerUSA
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, already have it. But why do I have to use an add on for something that should already be there?
  • Fudgedd
    Fudgedd
    Vallaure wrote: »
    there is an add-on that can be used to add a mini-map, and it works fine

Where am i able to find this Add-On?
    Fudgy like Fudge
  • Myrdreth
    Myrdreth
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so I get the no AH, they wanted to try something different. But seriously no minimap? That is just a quality of life type thing. So what is the purpose of something so obviously needed been removed?

Join us here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61829/dear-developers#latest

;)
    ~ ♥ ~
  • Relyk04
    Relyk04
    ✭✭✭
    I personally do not feel it is necessary to have the minimap, but I think it should have been provided as an option. In my opinion, I think they have a few things that should be optional that allow the player to interface with what they are comfortable with even if they have an addon for it.
  • Raeph
    Raeph
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's a design feature that, to my knowledge, has never been in an Elder Scrolls game. So I assume they didn't add one because it fits with their philosophy. I find that with no minimap much more of your focus is actually on what's in front of you, which can be nice. Sometimes too much hand holding can be detrimental as well.

There are pluses and minuses to having one. If you want one, get the add-on.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no need of a mini map, quite the opposite, you can use the compass and are supposed to go exploring.
  • derage88
    derage88

This is your first Elder Scrolls game? Just because there are minimaps in other games and mmo's doesn't mean there SHOULD be one in this, the bar on the top is your 'minimap', it serves as a navigational unit, furthermore, the series has always been about exploration and discovery, also it's just much more fun to just look on the actual screen to look where you are heading instead of following a marker on the map. It's supposed te be an exploration game, not a 'go from A to B' kind of thing.
  • TheFio
    TheFio
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like not having a minimap, it adds to the immersion for me. There is also quite something to be said about a mmo that DOESN'T try to clone WoW. I hope they do not add one, I am irritated enough with the addon ability, for once a game would be nice where it doesn't allow such crutches to be added.
    Fuzzball of the Ashen hand
    ~Daggerfall Covenant~
  • derage88
    derage88
    TheFio wrote: »
    I actually like not having a minimap, it adds to the immersion for me. There is also quite something to be said about a mmo that DOESN'T try to clone WoW. I hope they do not add one, I am irritated enough with the addon ability, for once a game would be nice where it doesn't allow such crutches to be added.

I agree, I'm sure that when people will go full-on PvP it will much feel like cheating when they start using add-ons that are just borderline hacks...
  • Aresus
    Aresus
    If you've been following the game the past year.. You will know that at first they had a mini map. There were a lot of people that complaint, because it didn't feel like TES games. I agree on this one and I'm totally happy the way they did it.

Ps: If you feel like it's cheating, just go and download it...
    Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather they kept the minimap gone.

I like the minimal UI and i've never played an Elder Scrolls game that had one so it fits.

If they do feel the need to put one in then at least make it optional.
  • Covarnis
    Covarnis
    ✭✭
    Now when you say it.. I didn't have a thought that it's missing! (well, if you think about "standard" MMO interface, it's probably "missing"). But! There is compass, which performs more or less the same function, as well as map. I personally do not mind that. First of all - it feels more immersive (for me), and realistic (you have to stop to check the map and orientate yourself etc.). This is something how I do it in other games as well, and probably I'm mainly using minimap to determine the direction I'm looking towards to...

What's best for me in this case, is that the interface is less cluttered, more minimalistic. And you can really develop a reflex, which actually "enjoys" this kind of stuff.

But, strictly - to each its own. If you want minimap you just go and get it. With all due respect though I wouldn't call it a feature, but an interface thing (feature is there - compass+map)
  • TheFio
    TheFio
    ✭✭✭
    Covarnis wrote: »
    Now when you say it.. I didn't have a thought that it's missing! (well, if you think about "standard" MMO interface, it's probably "missing"). But! There is compass, which performs more or less the same function, as well as map. I personally do not mind that. First of all - it feels more immersive (for me), and realistic (you have to stop to check the map and orientate yourself etc.). This is something how I do it in other games as well, and probably I'm mainly using minimap to determine the direction I'm looking towards to...

What's best for me in this case, is that the interface is less cluttered, more minimalistic. And you can really develop a reflex, which actually "enjoys" this kind of stuff.

But, strictly - to each its own. If you want minimap you just go and get it. With all due respect though I wouldn't call it a feature, but an interface thing (feature is there - compass+map)

Agreed.
    Fuzzball of the Ashen hand
    ~Daggerfall Covenant~
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    If they added in a toggle on/off for a minimap, I would still keep it off. I love the no-clutter style this and every other ES game has given. More immersion, less looking at the abundance of info on your screen and not the beautiful scenery.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    The Sidekick Order
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    TheFio wrote: »
    To be fair, mini maps were out years way before WOW was. But I concur, I too am miffed as why addons were allowed, never liked them. I almost see it as a form of unfair advantage, as some people just don't use them.
    Edited by Socratic on 2 April 2014 23:21