Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 18:00 UTC (14:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

QoL Request - Please make gathering Survey Maps easier!

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just spend 2-3 hours yesterday gathering Alik'r surveys I had (about 80). I did nab some other mats along the way and help out with a few Dolmens, but that was a horrid amount of time.

This should be a bonus, not a second job!

You still don't have to do them. If something is feeling tedious in game then take a break from doing it. The payout for that 2-3 hours was most likely more than you would have gained doing anything else in the game.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The good old "this is a game not a job" trope.. -.-

You are in full control over that. Noone except you is forcing you to pick up all your surveys, or how you manage them. Also, just because something comes as a "bonus" doesn't automatically mean it should come instantly.

Stacking up surveys is not lazy. Stacking up surveys, doing them all in one session, complaining that this takes too long and asking for a way to circumvent the process...THAT is where lazyness kicks in. It was your choice to let them pile up, so you created the situation.

EDIT:

Maybe look at it that way:
    No craft except cooking and - to an extend - Alchemy is self sustaining. If you are doing writs on a daily basis, you will eventually run out of crafting materials, no matter how much you loot and decon. In order to sustain your dailies, you can either buy raw materials from the guild stores with gold you need to earn first, or go out there and start picking up flowers. Now, you have done 80 writs in 2-3 hours. Look how many raw materials you managed to generate during this time and calculate how long it would have taken you to pick up all that by farming nodes OR paying gold.
    Surveys are one way to SPEED UP the process of refueling your craft bag and enabling you to keep doing your dailies. Asking for a way to do them automatically via NPC is basically asking to make every craft self sustaining.
    Edited by thorwyn on 6 May 2024 06:27
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »

You are in full control over that. Noone except you is forcing you to pick up all your surveys, or how you manage them. Also, just because something comes as a "bonus" doesn't automatically mean it should come instantly.

Stacking up surveys is not lazy. Stacking up surveys, doing them all in one session, complaining that this takes too long and asking for a way to circumvent the process...THAT is where lazyness kicks in. It was your choice to let them pile up, so you created the situation.

EDIT:

No craft except cooking and - to an extend - Alchemy is self sustaining. If you are doing writs on a daily basis, you will eventually run out of crafting materials, no matter how much you loot and decon. In order to sustain your dailies, you can either buy raw materials from the guild stores with gold you need to earn first, or go out there and start picking up flowers. Now, you have done 80 writs in 2-3 hours. Look how many raw materials you managed to generate during this time and calculate how long it would have taken you to pick up all that by farming nodes OR paying gold.
    Surveys are one way to SPEED UP the process of refueling your craft bag and enabling you to keep doing your dailies. Asking for a way to do them automatically via NPC is basically asking to make every craft self sustaining.

No, I am not in control of that.

We have many features in the game to make it easier to play. Calling it a "trope" is a bad argument against it.

I have not seen any reasonable argument against making this easier, just the normal "you want it too easy" issues.

We should get rid of multi-crafting and the collection book if we want to make it real. And why not walk everywhere! Get rid of the Dungeon finder and get people out in the world to find groups to go into dungeons!

Sorry, but the arguments all fail.

Not sure why you go off to discuss that no crafting is fully self-sustaining. Who claimed it is or should be?

I just find the current survey collection method to be very bad, especially on console, but even on PC with addons. Quality of Life changes are all about making the quality of life easier.

Anyone here could still do it in other ways if they insist. But many of us want it simpler!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    even in 'conflict' areas, the survey locations are not being visited by enemies. I stand in the area, collect, log off, log in. collect. rinse and repeat as necessary.

Its only a 7 second logout and you don't have to leave the area at all.

:#
    Options
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    I get that some people don't want their immersion broken.
    I get that some people quite like manually gathering survey rewards.

But I don't, and neither (as the existence of this thread suggests) do many others.

Compromise: if you manually gather the survey, you receive full rewards from it.
    If you choose to send a hireling to do it, you receive reduced rewards, but it's done automatically in the background.
    Options
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ehmm no,why should i get less mats when im paying (in theory) crowns for the assistant ?

im asking for this feature since 2020 but so far nothing,i dont know if it is difficult to happen or zos wants us tortured with going back and forth resetting the survey,have atm over 3000 at EU and another 2000 at NA account
    trying to do at least 20-30 per day but hey pile up again taking all my space
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do them before you get hundreds of them.

I do mine once a week. NOT doing writs on 20 toons, three accounts also helps.
    Options
  • VindictiveRidge
    VindictiveRidge
    ✭✭✭
    I also dislike the "spread the nodes WAY out" approach that I've noticed in Blackwood, High Isle, Galen, and now Necrom. It's arguably a little more "realistic" that way, but when my Dark Elf assassin is riding around on a horse-shaped wraith created from the blood of the slain, with a baby gryphon and a velvet-voiced Argonian warden mounted on a deer-dragon-thing tootling along in her wake, "realistic" has already left the building and I'd prefer "convenience" to move back in.

I do daily crafting writs on four characters; every Saturday night is Survey/Treasure Map Night for me. (And sometimes Master Writ Night, if I've got more than ten or so stacked up.)
    Options
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    be nice it if respawned instantly with no need to move away

Or be even better if it looted all the stacks from one picking, like fillet fish used to be one at time now can be done in stacks

they soon add up if doing 20alts a day, takes too much time up to then do surveys after that slog so they just accumulate
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
    Options
  • joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elrond87 wrote: »
    be nice it if respawned instantly with no need to move away

Or be even better if it looted all the stacks from one picking, like fillet fish used to be one at time now can be done in stacks

they soon add up if doing 20alts a day, takes too much time up to then do surveys after that slog so they just accumulate

That's exactly what I've been asking for for years by now.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    The survey node contents should just multiply by the number of matching surveys in inventory, then the game consumes all of them instead of just the first one.

Would only work for those with ESO+. Of course, you can also ask for the craftbag for everyone, or at least unlimited size stacks ;)
    Options
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes you are! 100%!
    It's YOUR choice to spend 3 minutes every day on surveys or stack them up and spend 2 hours doing 80. It's YOUR choice to store them forever or destroy them. Nothing except your compulsion is forcing you to handle them in any given way.
    Calling it a "trope" is a bad argument against it.

Whenever someone is complaining about any ESO feature that exceeds their attention span or patience, there is a very high chance that they will play the "this is a game not a job" card at some point. So no, it's not a bad argument, that IS a trope. It's a trope just like "QoL improvement" is an euphemism for "I want that because of reasons".
    We should get rid of multi-crafting and the collection book if we want to make it real. And why not walk everywhere! Get rid of the Dungeon finder and get people out in the world to find groups to go into dungeons!

That's not a straw man, that's an entire army of straw men.
    Not sure why you go off to discuss that no crafting is fully self-sustaining. Who claimed it is or should be?

And that's the point where I'm not sure whether or not you are joking. I mean... seriously?
    You need raw materials to do crafting writs. Doing crafting writs generates crafting surveys. Crafting surveys yield tons of raw materials (as well as upgraders). You need raw materials to do crafting writs. Aaaand voila! full circle!
    So basically, you asking for an NPC to collect your surveys means that you are asking to be able to do an infinite number of crafting writs without worrying about the raw materials, simultaneously picking up tons of gold upgraders while being idle. Because "QoL" and such.
    Now, before we are getting into details, if I remember correctly the data in the spreadsheet made by @tmbrinks suggests that surveys alone are not quite enough to self sustain a craft. But it's still a huge boost towards the goal, so my point stands.
    Anyone here could still do it in other ways if they insist.

I want Godslayer titles given out as daily login rewards. If you don't like it, you don't have to use them, you can still do the progress. But many of us want it simpler. Sounds about right?

Now, to end this on a more friendly note:
    I completely agree with you that the current system of forcing survey nodes to respawn by walking away, zoning or relogging is very bad and needs an overhaul. That I would instantly subscribe to.
    The only issue I had with this thread is the idea of an NPC that's doing all the work for me.
    Edited by thorwyn on 6 May 2024 16:20
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
    Options
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a survey map over a treasure map any day, just for the simplicity.

Treasure maps give you something nice 1 out of 100, and that is if the mound of dirt shows up. I've run around in circles just trying to get the darm thing to show up :D
    PS4/PS5/NA - And now EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
    Options
  • AllenaNightWood
    a QoL id like on console is zooming in on the map further becasue it makes it really hard to waypoint spots for maps and surveys
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes you are! 100%!
    It's YOUR choice to spend 3 minutes every day on surveys or stack them up and spend 2 hours doing 80. It's YOUR choice to store them forever or destroy them. Nothing except your compulsion is forcing you to handle them in any given way.

Quit claiming what isn't true. And it wouldn't be "3 minutes each day" doing surveys. Getting to where they are (including finding them on console) would add up to far more than that. They do not show where on the map they are by default, just a photo of a local area.

A quality of life improvement is exactly that, improvement of the quality of my life while playing.

But you want it to be tedious and a pain if I don't take your "3 minutes" each day gathering them. (Which is normally far more as I noted.)

I also have many other things to do, like running the content. Even gathering more Skyshards on alts or leveling companions on them, leveling Legendermain, etc. is far more productive gameplay.

Surveys are a JOB now. You may like that JOB, but it is a JOB.

PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't find it a job at all. I have lots of surveys - I hang onto them until I either have an endeavor to fill one, or I run out of something.

I have plenty of space so it's not an issue for me. And while I can't say about on console, I can run from Vivec to the wayshrine, port where I need to go for the survey, complete it, and get back in just a few minutes - not more than five, and quite often less than that.

I like to get out to do them - sometimes I'll take each of my mains out to do at least one of each type just to have a bit of fun that's not questing or combat.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I don't find it a job at all. I have lots of surveys - I hang onto them until I either have an endeavor to fill one, or I run out of something.

I have plenty of space so it's not an issue for me. And while I can't say about on console, I can run from Vivec to the wayshrine, port where I need to go for the survey, complete it, and get back in just a few minutes - not more than five, and quite often less than that.

I like to get out to do them - sometimes I'll take each of my mains out to do at least one of each type just to have a bit of fun that's not questing or combat.

How many alts do you play with?

Do all have max skyshards? All they need for any skill they would want?

Do they have maxed Legendermain and other skill lines? Even PvP? (For those of us her really dislike it but quest in the towns at times.

All other things completed (that you want) on alts?

Have you done full Calwell's Gold (not just Silver, but Gold) on even one character? Fished all the rewards?

Other such things?

I have many more things I want to do on alts than collect surveys. I believe I noted earlier but it took me 2-3 hours on Saturday to collect 80-100 surveys in Alik'r on the PS5. That was a lot of time I would have preferred to be filling out other many other things and even finishing Caldwell's Silver on my main(s) (1 per platform, PC and PS5)

Thus this becomes a chore, even knowing I get decent mats, rather than an enjoyable task.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying Crowns to have surveys auto-collected or whatever would be a pay-to-win IMHO. Doing crafting writs nets quite nice rewards as is, you haven’t “earned” the surveys until you collect them, just like you don’t earn writ vouchers until you fulfill the writ.
    Options
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would absolutely buy an NPC that exchanged surveys for mats.

Another good idea in this thread is allowing us to harvest multiples of the same survey in one go, so we're not constantly running in and out of range to reset nodes.

I think it'd also be great if we could trade surveys to anyone who wants them.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do they have maxed Legendermain and other skill lines? Even PvP? (For those of us her really dislike it but quest in the towns at times.

Have you done full Calwell's Gold (not just Silver, but Gold) on even one character? Fished all the rewards?

Other such things?

I have many more things I want to do on alts than collect surveys. I believe I noted earlier but it took me 2-3 hours on Saturday to collect 80-100 surveys in Alik'r on the PS5. That was a lot of time I would have preferred to be filling out other many other things and even finishing Caldwell's Silver on my main(s) (1 per platform, PC and PS5)

Thus this becomes a chore, even knowing I get decent mats, rather than an enjoyable task.

I have around 70 alts. All are in process of leveling, other than my 11 (um, maybe it's 12) mains. I play all of them on a "rotational" basis, and when I'm playing them, I'm gathering mats, grabbing skyshards, completing quests - the normal sort of gameplay I've always done.

I have 4 master anglers, working on 2 more. I have done Cadwell's on one main, and I'll never bother with it (or the game MQ) again - SO not fun. I only do what's fun btw - and that's my choice with any game, not just this one.

Legerdemain? TG/DB? PVP? Nope. None of that is fun and I won't be bothered with it (though when an endeavor is "repair walls" yes, I go repair walls in Cyro). Nor is group content fun for me, so I don't do it. I repeat: I ONLY DO WHAT I FIND FUN.

I max riding on every alt. That's another little bit of fun, watching the numbers climb. Right now, I've only 5 still doing riding, but once those are finished, I have another 7 or so girls to make and start on.

This is a game. If it weren't fun, I wouldn't be playing it. And when something in a game stops being fun, I stop playing the game. Right now, I have four accounts, all subbed. So I'm still finding this a lot of fun....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EDIT:

We have many features in the game to make it easier to play. Calling it a "trope" is a bad argument against it.

I have not seen any reasonable argument against making this easier, just the normal "you want it too easy" issues.

I just find the current survey collection method to be very bad, especially on console, but even on PC with addons. Quality of Life changes are all about making the quality of life easier.

Anyone here could still do it in other ways if they insist. But many of us want it simpler!

You have seen a few reasonable arguments for not wanting surveys done instantly. You choose to ignore them. It would cause depopulation in zones already suffering from appearing empty at times. It would cause less player engagement in different aspects of the game reducing the long term playability of the game. It would overpower gold/material collection by doing surveys compared to other game activities.
    Quality of life doesn't equate to easier. Easier is not always an improvement. You want a reward with no effort in obtaining that reward. Trash your surveys, play the game how it is fun for you and then you can use gold earned to purchase the materials you need.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • ikzaa
    ikzaa
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes you are! 100%!

Quit claiming what isn't true. And it wouldn't be "3 minutes each day" doing surveys. Getting to where they are (including finding them on console) would add up to far more than that. They do not show where on the map they are by default, just a photo of a local area.

A quality of life improvement is exactly that, improvement of the quality of my life while playing.

But you want it to be tedious and a pain if I don't take your "3 minutes" each day gathering them. (Which is normally far more as I noted.)

I also have many other things to do, like running the content. Even gathering more Skyshards on alts or leveling companions on them, leveling Legendermain, etc. is far more productive gameplay.

Surveys are a JOB now. You may like that JOB, but it is a JOB.

Looking at your old posts, you complain about everything, even though it is your fault in many cases, you find a way to blame others.

It surprises me that you continue playing something that bothers you so much.
    Options
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭
    Oh naur not people complaining that they like running a mile away 37 times in a row so everybody else should have to do it

"Don't be lazy" you do realize that people have other things to do right? Trials, dungeons, etc and don't have time to go to 35 different spots in 12 different zones every single day. Console doesn't have big blinking arrows to tell us where to go. It is WAY longer than 3 minutes to do a day's surveys. It's most efficient to do them in batches. They should either decrease the radius you need to run away and make it universal (cough cough Rivenspire clothier) or have non alchemy surveys automatically respawn 5 seconds after the final node is harvested. As much as I would like them respawning ASAP, I would be fine with not having to go so far away and it being consintent distances. I don't mind surveys much. Mostly the running away and coming back and nope not there.
    Edited by VisitHammerfell on 7 May 2024 04:32
    FOR THE COVENANT! 🦁

PS NA 2200+
    PS EU 1400+
    PS NA Alt 500+

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)

Bring back Sergeant Seyne
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I also dislike the "spread the nodes WAY out" approach that I've noticed in Blackwood, High Isle, Galen, and now Necrom. It's arguably a little more "realistic" that way, but when my Dark Elf assassin is riding around on a horse-shaped wraith created from the blood of the slain, with a baby gryphon and a velvet-voiced Argonian warden mounted on a deer-dragon-thing tootling along in her wake, "realistic" has already left the building and I'd prefer "convenience" to move back in.

I do daily crafting writs on four characters; every Saturday night is Survey/Treasure Map Night for me. (And sometimes Master Writ Night, if I've got more than ten or so stacked up.)

Yes, I hate the scavenger hunt that is surveys in the later zones.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem running around harvesting nodes from surveys. Gives me the chance to enjoy the scenery, open the odd treasure chest, pick up any stray lore books and generally just bumble about.

However I do have a problem with having to either:

A. Log out and back in again to get the nodes to respawn. This is very boring.
    B. Run X distance away and come back again to get nodes to respawn. This is very boring.

Although I have heard that if you are doing alchemy surveys and your survey doesn't include any columbine, you can do either A or B above in order to "refresh" the node, in the hope that the refresh will spawn columbine instead of whatever was there before.

Perhaps this little "exploit" will be enough to get ZOS to allow players to harvest multiple surveys from the same node, without having to log out and back, port out and back, move out and back.

Options
  • mdjessup4906
    mdjessup4906
    ✭✭✭
    I've taken to just deleting any survey that is too far from a wayshrine or otherwise too much a pita to collect. I want to play not spend hours running back and forth or waiting out loadscreens.
    Edited by mdjessup4906 on 7 May 2024 16:46
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Other such things?

I have around 70 alts. All are in process of leveling, other than my 11 (um, maybe it's 12) mains. I play all of them on a "rotational" basis, and when I'm playing them, I'm gathering mats, grabbing skyshards, completing quests - the normal sort of gameplay I've always done.

I have 4 master anglers, working on 2 more. I have done Cadwell's on one main, and I'll never bother with it (or the game MQ) again - SO not fun. I only do what's fun btw - and that's my choice with any game, not just this one.

Legerdemain? TG/DB? PVP? Nope. None of that is fun and I won't be bothered with it (though when an endeavor is "repair walls" yes, I go repair walls in Cyro). Nor is group content fun for me, so I don't do it. I repeat: I ONLY DO WHAT I FIND FUN.

I max riding on every alt. That's another little bit of fun, watching the numbers climb. Right now, I've only 5 still doing riding, but once those are finished, I have another 7 or so girls to make and start on.

This is a game. If it weren't fun, I wouldn't be playing it. And when something in a game stops being fun, I stop playing the game. Right now, I have four accounts, all subbed. So I'm still finding this a lot of fun....

Then I am surprised you are wanting to keep gathering survey maps tedious.

Almost all my characters are maxed now, 60 across 4 servers. I want still want to focus on many other things rather than gathering mat surveys all the time.

BTW, I do level Legendermain because it has the perk to make chests much easier to open. That is the only true reason it matters to me.

PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

EDIT:

You have seen a few reasonable arguments for not wanting surveys done instantly. You choose to ignore them. It would cause depopulation in zones already suffering from appearing empty at times. It would cause less player engagement in different aspects of the game reducing the long term playability of the game. It would overpower gold/material collection by doing surveys compared to other game activities.
    Quality of life doesn't equate to easier. Easier is not always an improvement. You want a reward with no effort in obtaining that reward. Trash your surveys, play the game how it is fun for you and then you can use gold earned to purchase the materials you need.

And you have seen several valid reasons to make them gathered the way they are. So I am ignoring but you are not?

Note that the only reason that is somewhat valid is controlling what is gathered. The others are just tedium. They are more "I don't mind how it is" and often even "you are lazy if you want it easier" (see above for the lazy comment). Those are not compelling arguments. This is not core gameplay!

And I rarely see anyone else when gathering survey maps, so that argument falls flat.

Clearly some oppose a change that would remove the hassles involved, but many do not like those challenges.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've taken to just deleting any survey that is too far from a wayshrine or otherwise too much a pita to collect. I want to play not spend hours running back and forth or waiting out loadscreens.

They do end up stuffing my bank which could be an aid for them to sell ESO+.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Other such things?

Then I am surprised you are wanting to keep gathering survey maps tedious.

Almost all my characters are maxed now, 60 across 4 servers. I want still want to focus on many other things rather than gathering mat surveys all the time.

BTW, I do level Legendermain because it has the perk to make chests much easier to open. That is the only true reason it matters to me.

Gathering surveys is one of the many things about this game that I find fun, so of course I do them. And I haven't had any problem opening chests in well over 6 years - WITHOUT legerdemain.

Options