The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Mail Expiration Changes are Bad

acastanza_ESO
acastanza_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
eteh7dr65kg1.png

This is just straight up awful. Expiring most mail after 7 days?! Come on. The current month is already bad enough.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For as long as you don't take any holiday [from the game], ever, they are fine /s
    Options
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh great even more pressure to keep my bank and inventory organized at all times haha.
    Options
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I don't see any reason as to why this would be an issue.
    Everything that'd be a shame to miss out on still remains for 14 days straight.

Nobody holds onto system mails.
    Hireling mail comes in daily and isn't generated without logging in anyways.
    Who runs a random dungeon and then goes on a 14 days vacation streak right after?
    Same goes for PvP rewards which basically pile up as you travel from keep to keep.
    Don't think I've ever bought something from a guild trader without immediately plucking it from my mailbox.

So, that'd be my perspective on things. But please explain why you think this makes for a bad change, perhaps I'M just lacking a certain perspective here.
    Edited by NoticeMeArkay on 15 April 2024 20:16
    Options
  • Sallymen
    Sallymen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im gonna be real with you chief, if you somehow miss getting your random daily dungeon reward than that is kinda on you. You are rewarded the moment you finish the activity.
    Edited by Sallymen on 15 April 2024 20:17
    Current Undaunted Key Count: 4,902
    Options
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest I don't see any reason as to why this would be an issue.
    Everything that'd be a shame to miss out on still remains for 14 days straight.

Nobody holds onto system mails.
    Hireling mail comes in daily and isn't generated without logging in anyways.
    Who runs a random dungeon and then goes on a 14 vacation streak right after?
    Same goes for PvP rewards which basically pile up as you travel from keep to keep.
    Don't think I've ever bought something from a guild trader without immediately plucking it from my mailbox.

So, that'd be my perspective on things. But please explain why you think this makes for a bad change, perhaps I'M just lacking a certain perspective here.

How it was before:

You fill your guild slots, go on holiday, come back to some juicy coin.

How it will be now:

You empty your guild slots, you go on holiday.
    Options
  • licenturion
    licenturion
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah pretty user hostile IMO.

Especially 14 days of sales. Now I have to stop selling stuff a month before my holiday. Or I empty my guild trading slots but take the losses to put them up. These are not improvements at all.

I can live with the other things although sometimes let the mails sit their for a while and cash them when I have ESO+. But that is also probably the intention.

Funny how they label this as 'improvements'. We delete your stuff! I wish my employer would also delete mails from a week old. My work would be so much improved and customers so much more angry.
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sucks, but if it was necessary to improve server performance, I don't care. It's more organized and should be easier to manage now, so no excuse for me.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    No more holidays for ESO players. Imagine the savings!
    Options
  • Ezhh
    Ezhh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guild sales one is bad.

The rest I could live with, though the inconsistency of all the different lengths isn't very user friendly. I especially like to be able to save some rewards of the worthy in mail to take and open one a day if I'm not currently PvPing much. It's a lot more convenient than storing them on characters when I don't always log the same ones each day.
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the guild trader sales and return of expired items should not be less than thirty days. Same for award mails that may be generated while the player is offline.

However, anything that is only generated by the player while online such as hireling mails, daily dungeon awards, and guild store purchases are fine being 7 days. Honestly, I think hireling mails could be 24 hours — it’s not like they accumulate while the player is offline.

Although… is it really necessary to delete mails at all? There are emails from players I would have kept because just because. And I don’t think my mail on GW2 ever expires (not that I expect every game to handle things the same, of course, but I would have thought that mail would be a similar problem/burden, if it is one, in any MMO).
    Options
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezhh wrote: »
    The guild sales one is bad.

The rest I could live with, though the inconsistency of all the different lengths isn't very user friendly. I especially like to be able to save some rewards of the worthy in mail to take and open one a day if I'm not currently PvPing much. It's a lot more convenient than storing them on characters when I don't always log the same ones each day.

I agree. The Rewards of the Worthy and the Hireling mails are fine to have expire after only 7 days, as it's expected that you'd get these things the moment you log on/complete the PVP activity anyways.

But the sales? Having to empty out guild sellers before taking any kind of extended break? That's the part I don't agree with. those should stay at the month expiration.
    Options
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I didn't see anywhere where it states how long regular mail that you send to friends/guildmates expires?

Like if you sent money to your friend or bought something from somebody through cod
    Options
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although this does not apply to me, as I loot my mails, I can certainly think of many PvP players off the top of my head who almost never clear out their RFTW mail
    Options
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree. I was going to make a post about this as well.

Many players already struggle with inventory management at end-game – whether they sweat trials and need to carry multiple gear sets (on PC, it's expected), are high-volume traders/flippers, or build in housing and already need multiple houses just to store expensive furniture. For various reasons, loads of people use mail for temporary storage.

While continuing to introduce new items without addressing the need for more storage in any way, halving the time on one form of storage really sucks.

+ as others said: being on vacation for more than 2 weeks, busy with work, or any other reason.

Edited by MoonPile on 16 April 2024 01:22
    Options
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭
    I understand purchases, hirelings, RFTW, random dungeon rewards, but leaderboard rewards and guild sales should be 30 days, as these can come in while on vacation and not logged in
    FOR THE COVENANT!
    PS NA 2200+ CP
    🦁 Colonel 1 (25)

PS EU 1300+ CP
    🦁 Tribune 2 (28)

PS NA Alt 500+ CP
    🦁 Captain 1 (19)

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)
    Options
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait, how are people letting their inboxes fill up???

Read mail > collect stuff > delete.
    It is really easy.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one that I see as truly egregious is the Sales/Return one. That should be 30 days, if it REALLY needs an expiration on it.
    Options
  • Sonyaluca
    Sonyaluca
    ✭✭
    Why is the mailing system thing shortened to 7 days? That's ridiculous, tbh.
    Please don't go through with this, ZOS.
    Options
  • FranklesConina
    I understand purchases, hirelings, RFTW, random dungeon rewards, but leaderboard rewards and guild sales should be 30 days, as these can come in while on vacation and not logged in

^^I agree with this.
    Co-leader of Tamriel Women Unite on PCEU
    EU main, NA dabbler
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see no problems with it, i open mails as i get them, and at a bare minimum log in every day

even a 1-2 weeks of expire time should be more than enough for most people unless you happen to be taking a 3-4 week vacation where you wont have access to the game

i personally will take a laptop with me on vacations so i can still play in the evenings lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all, we just provided an update on the official PTS thread for this. It is also viewable on the Dev Tracker. However, we are quoting it here for easy viewing.
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hello, All. We have received a lot of feedback regarding the changes to the Mail expiration timers on the PTS. We understand the concerns raised around shortening Mail timers, specifically in instances where a player may need to step away from the game for an extended period of time, and that with this shortened window they may miss items or gold coming from Guild Traders through the Mail.

As we reviewed this feedback and investigated those concerns, our data revealed that the vast majority of items listed at Guild Traders sell within a week. If an item does not sell by then, it typically doesn't sell during that listing period. In light of this, Guild Trader listings will now be reduced from 30 to 14 days. All Mail expiration timers will remain at 14 days. To be clear, the timer for Mail expiration will be 14 days from when the item sells or is returned to the player. A Guild Trader listing will expire 14 days from when an item is listed. This will affect all new Mail items and Guild Trader listings from U42 launch onward.

We understand that this may not be the news some of you were hoping to hear, and want to provide context for this decision. Based on the data of how quickly items typically sell, the team felt that 30 days for Guild Trader listings was unnecessarily long, and reducing the Mail expiration timers and the Guild Trader listings will allow for improvements in server performance by reducing strain on the database.

If you plan on being away from the game for an extended period, we recommend taking those personal plans into account when making decisions regarding Guild Trader listings.

We hope this information has been insightful, and as always, you are welcome to leave additional feedback in the PTS section of the Forums.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi all, we just provided an update on the official PTS thread for this. It is also viewable on the Dev Tracker. However, we are quoting it here for easy viewing.
    Hello, All. We have received a lot of feedback regarding the changes to the Mail expiration timers on the PTS. We understand the concerns raised around shortening Mail timers, specifically in instances where a player may need to step away from the game for an extended period of time, and that with this shortened window they may miss items or gold coming from Guild Traders through the Mail.

As we reviewed this feedback and investigated those concerns, our data revealed that the vast majority of items listed at Guild Traders sell within a week. If an item does not sell by then, it typically doesn't sell during that listing period. In light of this, Guild Trader listings will now be reduced from 30 to 14 days. All Mail expiration timers will remain at 14 days. To be clear, the timer for Mail expiration will be 14 days from when the item sells or is returned to the player. A Guild Trader listing will expire 14 days from when an item is listed. This will affect all new Mail items and Guild Trader listings from U42 launch onward.

We understand that this may not be the news some of you were hoping to hear, and want to provide context for this decision. Based on the data of how quickly items typically sell, the team felt that 30 days for Guild Trader listings was unnecessarily long, and reducing the Mail expiration timers and the Guild Trader listings will allow for improvements in server performance by reducing strain on the database.

If you plan on being away from the game for an extended period, we recommend taking those personal plans into account when making decisions regarding Guild Trader listings.

We hope this information has been insightful, and as always, you are welcome to leave additional feedback in the PTS section of the Forums.

So you reviewed our extensive negative feedback and made it worse?! What the heck.
    Options
  • Reginald_leBlem
    Reginald_leBlem
    ✭✭✭✭

"Plan accordingly"

Y'all forgot real fast about the people locked out of the game for 10 days through no fault of their own
    Options
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hidden gold sink: You will buy back your own products at your own listing prices so you don't take a fat zero instead. :o
    Fear is the Mindkiller
    Options