The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dungeon Speed-run etiquette

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »
    ZOS needs to at least allow "quest completion" no matter how fast the rest of the group does the dungeon. Allow me to get credit and the associated skill point even if they race ahead.

They fixed part of the Fungal Grotto quest so the head automatically gets stuck on the pike. That is needed in ALL dungeons.

Use Group Finder if you want a slow pace.

====

You should also be able to pick up the quest even if someone zooms ahead and gets into combat!

Zenimax has already provided the means to get a group to do a dungeon to complete the quest. It is called using the group finder option instead of the dungeon finder. Granted, it is probably faster to call out in guilds and zone to form such a group, but we have been provided the means.

People shouldn't need to slow things down a half hour and play with people who are there to listen just to do a small amount of quests. Anyone who actually uses the activity finder would know the majority of quests work just fine. It's literally just a small amount of quests that would need to be tweaked. And they literally have a whole quarter dedicated to such changes.

Edit

Beyond that, group finder is its own thing. It doesn't fix activity finder or the issues with it. The activity finder experience is so frustrating that players are fighting players over it. And it's not even a competitive thing. That's a result of poor design. A person who puts a blanket over their head may no longer see a giant mess in their backyard. But only actively cleaning it makes it go away.

Activity finders issues cannot be and will not be fixed by not using it.

I never said anyone should have to slow down because someone is doing the quest.

I did say that if someone has a particular way they want to run a dungeon they should pre-form that dungeon and my comment that this is in reply to noted Zenimax has already provided a means to help with that.

However, it is still best, by far, to form the group from guilds or even from zone when interested in running the dungeon in a particular order. Groups formed outside of the GF or AF more often than not will lead to a far smoother dungeon run. It is why I no longer bother finding players via the GF nor do I have to.

Options
  • Neiska
    Neiska
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anifaas wrote: »
    It is amazing how quickly the anti-speed-run crowd turns to petty insults and harsh judgments of other's personal demeanours due to strangers not doing what they want. Some have even go on to accuse others of being toxic without any recognition of the irony.

All of this over a single skill point which you will get eventually due to how many times you're likely to run the dungeons anyway. (A skill point! A generously abundant resource!) Then there is the ease of building your own group to do dungeon quests. All it takes is a little personal initiative.

When in Rome...

And I think it's amazing how much the speed runner crowd acts like taking a few moments to let someone else do a quest or consider other people is so hard or difficult. I can think of no other game where random groups act in this way to this extent, only in ESO do people have the option, so they do. You can try to excuse it all you like, but to me its just being selfish and inconsiderate, because speed runners can "force" their play on others, but others cannot do the same.

And, said skill point is a part of character progression. I would argue a far more important one than transmute crystals, a far more abundant resource, being effectively infinite. And, why is the counter point "make your own group" for the questers, when speed runners could do the same? "Want to blitz dungeons? Make a group for it."
    Options
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neiska wrote: »
    And I think it's amazing how much the speed runner crowd acts like taking a few moments to let someone else do a quest or consider other people is so hard or difficult. I can think of no other game where random groups act in this way to this extent, only in ESO do people have the option, so they do. You can try to excuse it all you like, but to me its just being selfish and inconsiderate, because speed runners can "force" their play on others, but others cannot do the same.

You would have a point if this wasen't a repeat activity every single day.
    Everyone is patient the first, second, third time...
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never said anyone should have to slow down because someone is doing the quest.

I never stated you did. What I said is that guild groups and group finder are completely irrelevant. They do not fix the issues with the activity finder. They do not fix the issue with quests. It is completely unhelpful to fixing AF or the quests.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 3 April 2024 11:48
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Been thinking about another way to get speedrunners/fake roles out of the random dungeonfinder, besides the +3 companion random dungeonqueue that grants transmutes. And another way to fix this issue would be to lower the chance of getting the 10 transmutes in random normals to 20%, while keeping it a 100% chance in veteran dungeons.

This makes random normals no longer worth it for farming transmutes for the veteran players.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dk_dunkirk wrote: »
    Stirvik wrote: »
    I'm amazed at speed run gear farmers who miss boss, within the dungeon.

Body parts fill up very fast. Weapons only drop from chests and last boss.

They REALLY need to allow weapons to drop from all the bosses. It's a miserable grind to get the full sticker book on every dungeon, and they just keep adding more every year.

This
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Been thinking about another way to get speedrunners/fake roles out of the random dungeonfinder, besides the +3 companion random dungeonqueue that grants transmutes. And another way to fix this issue would be to lower the chance of getting the 10 transmutes in random normals to 20%, while keeping it a 100% chance in veteran dungeons.

This makes random normals no longer worth it for farming transmutes for the veteran players.

That's a more agreeable solution than handing out transmutes like candy for soloists. It would even be argueable to completely remove transmutes from rnd queue, as people going for the dungeon quest (=newer players) usually don't need those precious shinies due to lack of a well-filled stickerbook.

Either way, regardless of this stones being removed from rnd or drastically reduced, every veteran player could still use one of their developed characters to obtain transmutes in rvd (or other vet content).
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am constantly amazed at the hubris of some players who demand an entire game be changed so they can run a quest on a base dungeon on a Level 45 alt, but absolutely refuse to even attempt to gather 3 friends to accomplish that

I'm constantly amazed at the hubris of some players who demand the group speed along behind them through dungeons, like their goal is the only one that matters, but absolutely refuse to even attempt to gather 3 friends to accomplish that.

Yes, how dare THE GROUP does what the THE GROUP wants to do. If only they had a way for THE GROUP to kick the non-conforming member. Whether that be the solo speed runner or the solo quester who wants to do all side quests. But alas, here we are again, ignoring the built-in features in the game that allow for THE GROUP to do what the majority wants and again are demanding the game be overhauled for a Level 45 alt in BC1.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I never stated you did. What I said is that guild groups and group finder are completely irrelevant. They do not fix the issues with the activity finder. They do not fix the issue with quests. It is completely unhelpful to fixing AF or the quests.

They are very relevant. My suggestion solves the problem without needing to change a thing in the game. The suggestion would also require removing interactions which while not significant are a more engaging quest.

I do not think we need the devs to hold our hands through everything when solutions are already available.

Options
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭
    I am constantly amazed at the hubris of some players who demand an entire game be changed so they can run a quest on a base dungeon on a Level 45 alt, but absolutely refuse to even attempt to gather 3 friends to accomplish that

I'm constantly amazed at the hubris of some players who demand the group speed along behind them through dungeons, like their goal is the only one that matters, but absolutely refuse to even attempt to gather 3 friends to accomplish that.

Yes, how dare THE GROUP does what the THE GROUP wants to do. If only they had a way for THE GROUP to kick the non-conforming member. Whether that be the solo speed runner or the solo quester who wants to do all side quests. But alas, here we are again, ignoring the built-in features in the game that allow for THE GROUP to do what the majority wants and again are demanding the game be overhauled for a Level 45 alt in BC1.

“THE GROUP”? You mean the lone DPS that speeds off before everyone has even had a chance to load in and sets the pace for the rest of the dungeon? That “GROUP”?

Asking for the skill point to be automatically given for first time completion of the dungeon without having to interact with any NPCs during the run shouldn’t be a major overhaul. Why would you even be against that?
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are very relevant. My suggestion solves the problem without needing to change a thing in the game. The suggestion would also require removing interactions which while not significant are a more engaging quest.

I do not think we need the devs to hold our hands through everything when solutions are already available.

They aren't. Your suggestion does not fix the issues inherent to the queue. You're suggesting individuals simply not interact with the problem, which does nothing to solve the inherent problem with the system that consistently causes this problem for the playerbase as a whole.

It is not wanting handholding to call for fixes to bad design. Another player should not be able to skip dialogue for you without any say from you. It doesn't work like that in most other games. It doesn't work like that in most of this game. It is literally the result of outdated and poor design that they have already fixed with later dungeons.

Guild groups are neither the quest nor the activity finder.

Group finder is not the the activity finder.

They aren't the topic of discussion. And running away from a problem doesn't solve it.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 3 April 2024 18:48
    Options
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't the topic of discussion. And running away from a problem doesn't solve it.

The reality is that one can't dictate random player behavior and cannot solve the problem when queuing solo.

The tools to assemble a group with aligned goals to queue with are there and players can use them. or players can realign their expectations because unfortunately, those are the only realistic options.

All the forum discussions in the world aren't going to fix this issue, which is a cruel reality; players are going to act in their self-interest.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »

The reality is that one can't dictate random player behavior and cannot solve the problem when queuing solo.

The tools to assemble a group with aligned goals to queue with are there and players can use them. or players can realign their expectations because unfortunately, those are the only realistic options.

All the forum discussions in the world aren't going to fix this issue, which is a cruel reality; players are going to act in their self-interest.

No. But the developers could do things like bring the last handful of remaining quests up to the standards set by later quests.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

“THE GROUP”? You mean the lone DPS that speeds off before everyone has even had a chance to load in and sets the pace for the rest of the dungeon? That “GROUP”?

Asking for the skill point to be automatically given for first time completion of the dungeon without having to interact with any NPCs during the run shouldn’t be a major overhaul. Why would you even be against that?

Gee, if only there was a way for the 3 remaining players opposed to the lone speed runner to kick that player...

I guess the solution to this mystery will never be solved
    Options
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭

Gee, if only there was a way for the 3 remaining players opposed to the lone speed runner to kick that player...

Well, I'll still be helping players get their skill point when they ask or it's obvious that they are stopping for the quest. It doesn't add that much time to the dungeon and it's the right thing to do.
    Options
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You keep repeating this, but nobody can vote when stuck in perpetual combat. I've also seen speed runners prevent vote kicks by queuing along with a second account so he can speedrun while his second account stays in the group doing nothing but preventing a vote kick and at the same time deprive the group of a healer and tank since speed runners usually queue as them leaving the 2 dps to deal with the mobs ignored by the speed runner without any support tanking or healing.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oddbasket wrote: »

You keep repeating this, but nobody can vote when stuck in perpetual combat. I've also seen speed runners prevent vote kicks by queuing along with a second account so he can speedrun while his second account stays in the group doing nothing but preventing a vote kick and at the same time deprive the group of a healer and tank since speed runners usually queue as them leaving the 2 dps to deal with the mobs ignored by the speed runner without any support tanking or healing.

you absolutely can still handle the prompt for vote kick while in combat, it just appears in the notification window, not as a quick use popup

exactly the same as any other ready check (dungeon, cyro, tribute, BG queues) or standard ready checks
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    oddbasket wrote: »

you absolutely can still handle the prompt for vote kick while in combat, it just appears in the notification window, not as a quick use popup

exactly the same as any other ready check (dungeon, cyro, tribute, BG queues) or standard ready checks

Seriously. "How can I be expected to vote to kick when they are in combat?"

Guess the only solution is to disable sprinting and turn all dungeons into 1980's side-scrollers. Welp, it was fun while it lasted :p
    Options
  • Neiska
    Neiska
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is going places.
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Soarora wrote: »
    ZOS needs to at least allow "quest completion" no matter how fast the rest of the group does the dungeon. Allow me to get credit and the associated skill point even if they race ahead.

They fixed part of the Fungal Grotto quest so the head automatically gets stuck on the pike. That is needed in ALL dungeons.

Use Group Finder if you want a slow pace.

====

You should also be able to pick up the quest even if someone zooms ahead and gets into combat!

It is like that for all dungeons. Maybe or maybe not for VoM though, I’ve heard it both ways. The only thing that needs fixed is a way to get the quest during combat and turn in the quest if you leave before turning it in.

You missed "optional bosses" needed for the quest but not the speedrun. And having one boss killed and you are not close enough for credit. I think Volenfell has a switch you won't get credit for flipping if you are not close enough as well.

No, those are skippable with the quest change. Like in COH, I’ve gotten the quest done even with skipping the quest side boss. The quests all update at certain points.

I missed the ability to finish the Volenfall quest recently and had to rerun the entire dungeon because I wasn't close enough for the switch flip that happened while I was a short distance away.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They aren't. Your suggestion does not fix the issues inherent to the queue. You're suggesting individuals simply not interact with the problem, which does nothing to solve the inherent problem with the system that consistently causes this problem for the playerbase as a whole.

It is not wanting handholding to call for fixes to bad design. Another player should not be able to skip dialogue for you without any say from you. It doesn't work like that in most other games. It doesn't work like that in most of this game. It is literally the result of outdated and poor design that they have already fixed with later dungeons.

I agree that my solution does not solve the "inherent" issue with the queue. The queue works as intended. We are asking for a random group of players with random interests when we use the dungeon finder.

We are specifically asking for randomness when we use that dungoen finder and should not be surprised when we find we received such randomness and very different interests.

That is why Zenimax created the group finder with a dungeon subcategory where we can narrow down what we want for a group. Of course, we can still form our own group from guilds and zones which works even better for obtaining a group with similar interests.

We need to choose the right tool to get the job done. It is as simple as that.

Edited by Amottica on 8 April 2024 17:57
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that my solution does not solve the "inherent" issue with the queue. The queue works as intended. We are asking for a random group of players with random interests when we use the dungeon finder.

They have already implemented a number of things to address the issues that are being discussed, such as increasing the number of dungeons that have the '"join encounter in progress," feature. This is because the queue is not working as intended. Edit: By that I mean they have take notice of the issues being discussed here with the queue, not that it's bugged.

This goes beyond just there are random players. The actual design of the dungeons themselves are not conducive to queueing for people who need to get the quest in a handful of dungeons.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 8 April 2024 23:02
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They have already implemented a number of things to address the issues that are being discussed, such as increasing the number of dungeons that have the '"join encounter in progress," feature. This is because the queue is not working as intended.

This goes beyond just there are random players. The actual design of the dungeons themselves are not conducive to queueing for people who need to get the quest in a handful of dungeons.

and I noted one of those things which as also included in the part of my comment not quoted above. Additionally, I have stated it multiple times in this thread. That is why I have stated the fact I have discussed the solution that has already been added to the game.

Nothing left to say. Have a great day.

Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The group finder was not introduced to fix all the issues with activity finder. It was created to help people who need highly specific things like listening to the story or doing the hard mode. This is why it does not replace the activity finder. The developers have already acknowledged that speed running as an issue with the queue.

I look forward to their continued work on improving the dungeon experience. And I am glad that they acknowledge these issues are real. After all, the activity finder specifically exists for people to fill in the gaps that friends and guilds could never solve.

If the developers left it up to guild groups alone, countless runs would never have happened. The activity finder is a great tool when it works well. If they continue their work on tweaking dungeon quests, it will solve a lot of issues.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 8 April 2024 23:09
    Options
  • slt101880b14_ESO
    slt101880b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Way too many people here defending speedrunning group hijacking.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Way too many people here defending speedrunning group hijacking.

In the case presented for this thread, the speed runners did not hijack the group. Not only were they the majority of the group but they also kept the focus which was the reason all four members queued for the dungeon.

So no one is defending anyone who hijacked the group.

Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quest was forcibly skipped by another player. The majority means nothing because by speed runners own admission, it would not have made a difference and they forced the other person to skip the quest on purpose. They made this decision before they even joined the queue.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 9 April 2024 02:08
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The group finder was not introduced to fix all the issues with activity finder. It was created to help people who need highly specific things like listening to the story or doing the hard mode. This is why it does not replace the activity finder. The developers have already acknowledged that speed running as an issue with the queue.

I look forward to their continued work on improving the dungeon experience. And I am glad that they acknowledge these issues are real. After all, the activity finder specifically exists for people to fill in the gaps that friends and guilds could never solve.

If the developers left it up to guild groups alone, countless runs would never have happened. The activity finder is a great tool when it works well. If they continue their work on tweaking dungeon quests, it will solve a lot of issues.

The GF does permit stating the specific purpose of the group. Including setting the tone of the group for a speed run or doing the story, etc. It also permits screening each player since auto-accept can be turned off.

That is an amazing tool to get a group to do exactly. The only thing Zenimax needs to do to help those who find that too much trouble is to create a single-player version for the sole purpose of doing the quest. That is all that is left to do.

Cheers
    Options
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always ask when I pug for a pledge, if anyone is doing the quest, that said, I have no expectation for anyone to take my needing the quest into account.

I ask to be polite and since I am likely fake tanking it seems like the right thing to do. If I could Q for randoms solo I'd do it, but the game won't let you.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
    Options
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suddwrath wrote: »
    When a player queues for a specific dungeon to complete the quest for a skillpoint, they are engaging in normal gameplay and are utilizing the system as is intended. When a player queues for a random dungeon for the daily undaunted reward they too are utilizing the system as is intended. However, when these players who queued for a random dungeon prevent the players who queued for a specific dungeon from completing the dungeon's quest by rushing ahead through the dungeon they are disrupting the intended flow of gameplay for the other player (especially when that player has voiced that they are doing the quest). This is explicitly against TOS: Examples of disruptive behavior include, but are not limited to, conduct which interferes with the normal flow of gameplay.

Running through a Dungeon as fast as possible is not violating the TOS in any way. If its only about the flow than you could also argue that going around and looting every box/ listening to every dialog disrupts the flow. Here is an example of disruptive behavior:
    I spot a low lvl player in cyro who tries to take a skyshard, if i went with the normal flow i would just kill him and move on, the polite thing to do would be to let him take the skyshard. Disruptive behavior would be to change my set up to a tank and then chain him away from the shard over and over again.

Options