The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Major resolve Buff vs Major protection

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hi All , i wonder about the following

How big is the difference (especially in pvp) between having 6K more physical and spell resistances ….

Versus …

10% damage decrease (major protection)

Probably the answer is nuanced but can someone tell me how big the diff is and where the diff really lies ?

Thank you

Best Answer

• Xzysts
    Xzysts
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion it solely depends on who and what you are getting hit by. If the player attacking you has lots of pen then Major Protection will carry farther than the minimal resist you will have against their attacks. That being said shoot for 28-30k resist of each type… then piece together buffs that will make you more tanky depending on your class. Major protection, minor protection, healing buffs, etc. most players can hit full pen with maj/min breach, full balorghs proc, and sharpened maul/maces.

I’d say overall I’d rather have the 6k resist when it comes to just general PvP let’s say if I was at 24k fully buffed. To me it depends what your current resistance is… if it’s lower than like 26k fully buffed then I’d take the extra 6k resist. If you have 27-32k take the major protection.
    -Goblinu_ESO on YouTube
    Community Discord: hK4dFwE7zZ
    All-class player w/over 5,000 hours across multiple platforms
    Answer ✓
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for that answer.
    I thought the difference between the two was bigger

Thought that major protection had a much higher dmg mitigation overall

• loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had to search a bit myself when I was curious about this some time ago, and here's what I found: damage reduction from resistances is 1% per 660 points, so the 6k from major resolve gives about 9% damage reduction. But major protection is calculated after resistances have been factored in. So if for example you have 25% damage reduction from armor, major protection would shave 10% off the remaining 75%, giving you a net 7.5% reduction. Basically major protection would be about as strong as major resolve if you only had 6600 resistance, and gets worse as you gain more.

I did get this info from older forum posts, not from testing or checking the damage formulas, so somebody please correct me if this is outdated or even just wrong.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loosej wrote: »
    I've had to search a bit myself when I was curious about this some time ago, and here's what I found: damage reduction from resistances is 1% per 660 points, so the 6k from major resolve gives about 9% damage reduction. But major protection is calculated after resistances have been factored in. So if for example you have 25% damage reduction from armor, major protection would shave 10% off the remaining 75%, giving you a net 7.5% reduction. Basically major protection would be about as strong as major resolve if you only had 6600 resistance, and gets worse as you gain more.

I did get this info from older forum posts, not from testing or checking the damage formulas, so somebody please correct me if this is outdated or even just wrong.

im pretty sure this is still accurate as far as im aware

mitigations suffer from diminishing returns, but flat mitigations like major protection give you more protection when people are penetrating your armor (as you cant penetrate a flat mitigation)

armor is the easiest way to get 50% dmg reduction to start, but its also the easiest for players to bypass through debuffs and penetration

while you can get major resolve for the armor bonus, you can just as easily get debuffed with major breach, which 100% negates major resolve
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014