Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Secrets to harvesting components?

Dread_Takhisis
Is there a method to the madness that is collecting ore, herbs, etc?

Or is it just a "run around and hope to randomly find some' kind of thing?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Well, no minimap, not any real indication of anything on the ground other then Rocks, flowers and wood laying around so yeah its pretty much random....
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    There are passive skills you can pick up in the different Crafting lines ...

Why not take a peek at those?
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • Sivetar
    Sivetar
    Beagle wrote: »
    Notice how we told you there are ways but didn't put any details? I showed someone in teamspeak yesterday how to gather more efficiently and not even 10 minutes later saw him use that knowledge to get resources I had been harvesting by myself with no issues. Now I have him to compete with. I wanted to stab him in the spleen but he was in my faction. The only time I have gone into details on how to harvest are for games that allow open kills on the entire map. In those cases, I will show you how to harvest, draw you maps and event talk you through exactly where to go. I will even be waiting for you when you get there.

o:)

^ This. 100 times this. ESPECIALLY when it comes to chests in this game. Went over some things with a friend... they may not be a friend much longer >.<
  • nlnj_a
    nlnj_a
    ✭✭✭
    Lets just say I got about 500 Iron Ingots and 200-300 of the others just from deconstructing stuff last night.

But I also have skill points in wood/smith/cloth skills.

The beaches are you best friend for wood and spawn locations of hide dropping beats are your best choice for hides.

I have deconstructed almost every item I have come across for the xp/rare items for crafting (except the basic items that sell to merchants for more than usual).
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like in most games, I generally find mining next to rocks, either stand alone, or more often, along a stone wall. Water based plants like nirnroot and water hyacinth, obviously are gonna be found along rivers/ponds/etc. Wood I often find as driftwood on beaches. The rest seems to be pretty much randomly wherever.
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't a secret... There are nodes scattered all over the place. You will tend to find certain types, like runes in certain locations, look for runes near ruins. Ore shows up along shore lines and high terrain edges. Flowers... those are everywhere, you just have to learn to spot them. Jute, Cotton etc. fairly random scattering all over the map. Chests, look in the nooks and crannies of the map. They seem to be tucked into these places. But, you can find nodes for anything almost any place, just takes looking for them.

Leathers, you have to farm critters that drop the raw version needed to refine it.

Keep in mind the respawn of a node is fairly quick so if someone has farmed through the area, go some place else then return in 20 minutes or so.

Deconstructing drops of armor and weapons will supply plenty of the mats needed for creating such. You don't really need to try and farm the mats.

Each crafting skill line has a Keen Eye that you can put points in also. This makes the nodes show up for you in an obvious way, so if you are having trouble seeing a mat, put some points into Keen Eye.

There will be plenty of Farmers in the game who will be selling these mats. You don't have to go out and get them if you are not into that type of exploration.
    The Sidekick Order
  • Dread_Takhisis
    I maxed out my mining in wow before I found out there was a way to show it on your mini map... Thus the reason for asking.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
  • Zagadka
    Zagadka
    ✭✭
    Just getting the Crafting skill tree unlock for detecting resources helps greatly, and things are usually in logical and consistent places.

Plus, you can break things down...

... and there are a few UI mods that are probably questionable that track nodes.
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really a secret but, invest in some Time and Effort. On second thought,now a days maybe these are secrets; lost to many people.
    Edited by Inactive Account on 2 April 2014 18:42
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a method to the madness that is collecting ore, herbs, etc?

Or is it just a "run around and hope to randomly find some' kind of thing?
    The nodes are static I think, and respawn times are fairly rapid. So if you see it somewhere once you will probably see it there again.

The skill trees have skills that make the items glow when you are close. This does help a lot.

Hirlings will fetch stuff for you continuously on their own.
  • Kirky
    Kirky
    ✭✭✭
    Keep your eyes peeled until you level up your skills, then put a point into "Keen Eye" on that individual skill, for example blacksmithing, then ores will have a glow similar to a skyshard around them from 20m away for the first point.
    @Kirky_Lad [EU/AD]