Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Game keeps crashing (locking up) since U41 update today

mitch.j.poirierb16_ESO
Game keeps crashing (locking up) since U41 update today, happens with 30 seconds of login into game
I have NO ADDONS so clean game
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Are you getting a crash reporter or any error messages?
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on 11 March 2024 13:48
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • mitch.j.poirierb16_ESO
    No, just freezes the screen and can't exit game, can't close it can't even use Task manager
    Have to full sign out of windows or restart to get game closed
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    No, just freezes the screen and can't exit game, can't close it can't even use Task manager
    Have to full sign out of windows or restart to get game closed

Could you post or pass along your UserID please?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Goodrods
    Goodrods
    ✭✭✭
    I just came here to see if anyone else was having this issue. I updated video drivers just in case, but has happened 2 times before updating and now once after driver updates.
    UserId:
    @rgood
    Edited by Goodrods on 11 March 2024 14:20
  • mitch.j.poirierb16_ESO
    Haalkster
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    @mitch.j.poirierb16_ESO @Goodrods @Elsonso At what point is the game freezing? Is it when you click Play from the character select screen?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • mitch.j.poirierb16_ESO
    as soon as I login with a character into the game
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    as soon as I login with a character into the game

Do you know which zone you're trying to load into, by chance?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @mitch.j.poirierb16_ESO @Goodrods @Elsonso At what point is the game freezing? Is it when you click Play from the character select screen?

After I figured out that an addon was blocking /feedback, it was while trying to write a /feedback.

I no longer have the ESO client installed on PC.

(FYI: The addon that was blocking feedback was related to LibScrollableMenu, which has since been updated)

Edited by Elsonso on 11 March 2024 16:38
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Goodrods
    Goodrods
    ✭✭✭

It was happening in a ui screen (inventory/banker) all three times. I remember seeing that the presets had been changed for video settings and just set mine to maximum. I have not had a problem since. I had a problem in the past (another game) after presets were changed by an update and just needed to reset to a preset, then change any desired settings.
    So on multiple accounts and many characters since, the strange lockup/freeze is non existent now.
  • yachoor
    yachoor
    ✭✭
    For anybody using Process Hacker or similar task manager - close it before launching the game or it dies after 30s...
  • Lifenaked
    Lifenaked
    Soul Shriven
    yachoor wrote: »
    For anybody using Process Hacker or similar task manager - close it before launching the game or it dies after 30s...

This fixed it for me, thanks.
  • omnidoh
    omnidoh
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you need to revert that change Devs.

I use process hacker for a variety of things; to control CPU usage, page priority, CPU Affinity, etc...
    This issue has happened before but apparently it got overlooked again.

#RepeatOffense
    #DeveloperOversight

Please patch and adjust for those of us using this software.
    I don't want to have to sandbox ESO again just to compensate for your paranoia.
    Edited by omnidoh on 11 March 2024 21:57
  • Xorzoo
    Xorzoo
    Soul Shriven
    I don't use process hacker, the game is not playable anymore, cannot even finish daily writs without freezing.
  • Telvas
    Telvas
    Soul Shriven
    omnidoh wrote: »
    Yeah, you need to revert that change Devs.

I use process hacker for a variety of things; to control CPU usage, page priority, CPU Affinity, etc...
    This issue has happened before but apparently it got overlooked again.

#RepeatOffense
    #DeveloperOversight

Please patch and adjust for those of us using this software.
    I don't want to have to sandbox ESO again just to compensate for your paranoia.
    I second to this, a voice of reason in this chaotic storm raging with so many problems with recent update.
    I support ESO and its team with my whole heart, as 1,5 years ago I started to call this game "home" and it became a my go-to title to take a break from hardships of real life.

But recent mishaps with the way the whole project is being lead, makes me extremely sad. I fully understand difficulties of leading a 15+ years old SW engineering project, changes in teams, bosses, compatibility, goals, targets, etc.

But as a player and series fan I just want to enjoy the game every day, and have it at least the same (preferably a tiny bit better) every day. Silent, hidden, unannounced decisions like blocking some random, harmless diagnostic tools (i.e. Process Explorer) many of us use (including devs) is extremely frustrating.

Yesterday - game was fun. Today - game dictates you how you are supposed to configure your system. I am an engineer and my system is my workshop, my digital home, digital living room, maybe even shrine or altar for my creativity and curiosity - I do not want someone to tear it apart "because that's why". Also, out of respect for you Bethesda folks I'd prefer to avoid hacking my own computer to make it running the game the (harmless and morally right) way I want to.

Imagine someone orders you to repaint walls in your living room because the new TV don't like current color and won't start... -_-
  • BlueJedi2020
    BlueJedi2020
    Soul Shriven
    Hi @ZOS_GinaBruno,

I experienced the freezing last night and this morning and had to stop/restart the game on my Xbox Series X console. Yesterday while fighting a world boss (not sure which one), and this morning twice before loading into Bangkorai (Twin Arches), first time before the Character Selection Screen, and the second time after.

Hope this helps.

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @ZOS_GinaBruno,

I experienced the freezing last night and this morning and had to stop/restart the game on my Xbox Series X console. Yesterday while fighting a world boss (not sure which one), and this morning twice before loading into Bangkorai (Twin Arches), first time before the Character Selection Screen, and the second time after.

Hope this helps.

Console does not have U41 yet.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• BOZiNpro
    BOZiNpro
    Soul Shriven
    Came here to say that I am experiencing the same. For me, it's primarily in Cyrodiil. Had 0 crashes before the patch. Game just locks up, no error code - have to manually close it. No process hacker here, however I do use add-ons - not many - here is the update log:
    Automatic Update Enabled		
    Last AddOn Update: March 14, 2024 6:19PM EST		

Update Log:		
    Title	Version	Date
    LoreBooks	77	11.28.22023 5:55PM
    LoreBooks	79	03.14.2024 6:19PM
    Tamriel Trade Centre	4.16.267.28139	03.12.2024 8:11PM
    LibAddonMenu-2.0	2.0 r36	3.11.2024 6:20PM
    LibHarvensAddonSettings	1.9.1	3.11.2024 6:20PM
    Tamriel Trade Centre	4.15.315.11932	3.11.2024 6:20PM
    LoreBooks	78	02.03.2024 11:30AM
    LibMapData	1.12	01.18.2024 7:33PM
    LibMapPins	1.0 r39	01.18.2024 7:44PM

Going to report via ticket, with logs if it helps triage.

EDIT: 240317-006436 opened with logs.
    EDIT 2: 240317-007274 opened with video and screenshot of crash.
    EDIT 3: Rumor has it it has to do with Simplified Chinese special characters, when being used in Zone Chat, is allegedly crashing the client for a lot of folks in said Zone Chat.
    Edited by BOZiNpro on 17 March 2024 23:46
    PC/NA: @BOZiN
    XBOX/NA: @BOZiNmusic
  • BlueJedi2020
    BlueJedi2020
    Soul Shriven
    Console does not have U41 yet.
    Nope, seems like the issue is server-side.
  • Xorzoo
    Xorzoo
    Soul Shriven
    Ok, so I think I figured this out. Disable "Multithreaded Rendering" and you are golden again.

Game is freezing (not crashing, so no core dumps to debug) which is clearly a deadlock, guess what is obviously related to threading issue: "Multithreaded Rendering".
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno the issue was with a player entering a text string which causes a lot of players clients to crash. Said player(s) were initially spamming the text and then doing it once every 10m or so.

We verified this by blocking the player. Only people who didn't block them crashed and if their comment was reposted in chat then players crashed again.

Some ppl reported them but others didn't bother as by now I'm sure they will have changed @ name and based on past tickets you don't track @ name changes.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • erixtone
    erixtone
    ✭✭
    Having this issue, but little rhyme or reason to actions being performed or locations. Have removed all Add-ons but that didn't help.

I've crashed in Knarthi's Roost looting chests, standing idle in Wayrest Mage's Guild, and running around Malabal Tor fighting Alids all just this morning.

Similar outcome - total lockup and can't use task manager to exit. Have to restart from Ctrl+Alt+Del - which you can then cancel after Steam force closes to spare yourself a little time.

• moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here.

My team in BG was about to win but then I was locked up. Screen paused at this... Wait I can't even upload image now.

What's wrong with you guys' servers?! And why is there a login queue now? Everyone kicked?

Edited by moo_2021 on 18 March 2024 16:26
  • Meridiano
    Meridiano
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same issue.
    I play for a random amount of time, few minutes to half an hour, maybe longer. The game freezes when I do something or when I do nothing, my actions look like unrelated. I can hear the game sound loop (it doesn't update though, just looped sound) but the game is dead. I can Alt-Tab thanks to Windowed Mode, open Task Manager (nothing custom, default Ctrl-Shift-Esc), kill the game process.
    Repeat.

UserID is Meridiano.
    Contact me if you want.
  • tjcd
    tjcd
    ✭✭
    Same here. The issue happens randomly and quite often after U41.
  • SuicideRoach
    SuicideRoach
    ✭✭
    Also been having issues with the game constantly freezing while playing since Update 41. Never happened before the update. Happens multiple times an hour now. User id is undisputedroach
    Edited by SuicideRoach on 21 March 2024 13:20
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting the black screen as well but not on login. It happens randomly during gameplay. Sometimes I can play for hours with no issue then it goes to the black screen. Can hear the game sound as if the game is still running. Like others I have to Sign Out to get out of this mess.

I get a Crash Report sometimes from the AMD software that I send to AMD. This never happened before update 41.

I've also installed the current Adrenaline GPU software drivers and get same results. Rolled back to previous version and same results. Rolled back three versions and still same result. So the last three versions of Adrenaline AMD software drivers all have the same crash happening.

This happens with and without Addons.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crash is immediate. An opaque white layer comes to screen over the crash. Have to leave and log back in. Happened today with 8 mnutes left to go in event.
    Happened twice since patch 41.
    Edited by shadyjane62 on 21 March 2024 14:03