The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Are you graphically dashing in towns?

DreamyLu
DreamyLu
✭✭✭✭✭
Since about one week, when I'm in towns, I graphically dash: I run and suddenly it freezes for some seconds, then I keep running, and so on... It's really specific to towns, I don't have it anywhere else in the game.

Do you have that too?
Edited by DreamyLu on 9 March 2024 05:19
I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No I dont have that. I'm on ps5 and generally performance is pretty stable
    Edited by fizl101 on 9 March 2024 06:40
    Soupy twist
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit is quite dashing in towns and the wilds too, it is known.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That happens to me rather often, especially in certain cities. It isn't new-- it used to happen to me a lot in Daggerfall years ago when that was my main's main hangout-- but for a while it had stopped happening, and lately (within the last year or so) it has started happening again, only this time mostly in Wayrest and Elden Root.

In my case, I think it's caused by cells (if that's the right word) taking a long time to load, because there will be a straight line on the ground-- presumably the border between two adjacent cells-- and the ground on one side looks normal but the ground on the other side is blurred. As I'm sprinting along or riding my mount and hit that boundary line going toward the blurred side, I freeze in place but my animation continues sprinting or riding even though I'm stuck in place-- stopped by an invisible wall-- and I can't do anything to stop or change direction. Eventually the cell on the blurred side of the boundary loads enough data for the game to let me continue.

That might not be what you're talking about, but it tends to happen to me at certain locations in certain cities.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »
    No I dont have that. I'm on ps5 and generally performance is pretty stable

Same here. I did occasionally have the described problem when I still played on a PS4 Pro, although it happened pretty much everywhere, not just in towns. I wonder if the OP has an old spinning magnetic hard drive.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear All

As I couldn't understand why - after 2 years trouble free - I had this sudden dashing in towns, I decided to investigate a bit. I checked a few things in the settings, until I remember that one thing I use has had a change with potential consequences: the addon Master Merchant. So, as a test, I did remove it. After that, I had no dashing anymore.

Now, don't draw consequences out of my experience because:
    1) It can be that out of the few things I tried, the problem got solved from a completely different action I had done nearly at same time than removing the addon. So I can't tell 100% that it was the addon removal.
    2) Assumed that it was the removal of the MM addon: Since some days, the addon was putting a warning in chat upon logging on, telling that there is a change ongoing and that we need to take action. I did ignore it. So it can be that it's with the addon, but only because I didn't perform the required actions. It would be entirely my fault, not the addon.

All in all, am just happy that the dashing in towns is gone. In some days from now, I will maybe re-install MM and see how it goes.
    Edited by DreamyLu on 10 March 2024 17:04
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dears, sorry for double posting, but just to confirm: yes, this is with the addon MM in my case. With it installed I dash, without it everything is perfect.

So I will for now keep going without the addon, and after update 41, when things will be "installed" and stable after a few days, I will retry to use it because I'm sure it's only due to the changes coming with update 41.
    Edited by DreamyLu on 11 March 2024 04:48
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is why i switched to arkadius trade tools a few years ago, master merchant was becoming too bloated and resource intensive, while arkadius does basically the same thing but is much more light weight and doesnt cause me any issues with processing
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info @Necrotech_Master .

As a matter of fact, since I use only TTC without MM, I have the pleasant surprise that:
    1) I have no more performance troubles
    2) I don't miss MM at all.

So for now, I will stay with just TTC. :)