Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

USB controller

joustx
joustx
if i buy a controller will it work with ESO?
  • Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but do not recommend.

There is a reason PC and console(controller) players are separated other than different platforms. A mouse is always more accurate and fast, while true it does count for less in ESO, as a seasoned gamer I would not want to PvP in eso on a controller. Might be nice for some relaxing PVE but not hectic PvP IMHO.

* I have a logitech programmable controller and it even does 'emulate mouse' on the thumbsticks (I set left up as WASD and right up as emulate mouse) it was no way near as responsive as my mouse.
    Edited by Daverios on 2 April 2014 17:03
  • joustx
    joustx
    thanx im off to buy my controller and play when servers come up
  • coldflame87
    coldflame87
    Soul Shriven
    This reply is based on playtime in the beta, where there was no controller support. I haven't tried to plug in a controller since launch, so I'm not sure if they added support or not. This is assuming they have not.

I tended to play Skyrim using a controller, just because the UI lent to it before being modded. It's honestly very comfortable for me. However, Skyrim's button mapping was designed to use a controller. ESO, IMHO, is not.

I have a feeling you would run into some serious frustration trying to figure out how to run your abilities. Your obvious choice on a standard (I'm defining "standard" as a 360 controller) would be to place your abilities on the D-pad, but that would make movement very difficult. Your other option would be to set up a macro for your two shoulder buttons so that when they are held down, ABXY perform different actions. This is very doable, but will take some time.

There are some more complicated controllers that have extra buttons, but then you run into the issue of usability. Controllers are used because they are more comfortable and accessible than full keyboards. When you add a ton of buttons, you lose that advantage.

So, as of now, I wouldn't recommend it. :smile:
    "You know I could have gone into that Sanctuary and killed all those Dark Brotherhood types, I was uh... just sick that day."
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have used Xpadder since September. It has worked perfectly and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in using a controller. ESO is not a FPS and with the softlock in play, it nullifies the only advantage the mouse has over actual gameplay due to the dead spots in the analog stick. The buttons configuration allows for a faster response than moving your hand across the keyboard.

Players use alternative pads but they are essentially just the same and some even come with a stick.

More on the profile itself and a copy/paste of it, was recently posted in this thread.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.