The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

why is the eso+ store so bad?

Huggernaut
Huggernaut
✭✭✭✭
Hi, welcome to my TED talk.

I'm a long time player, since launch (off & on) & when I other play other MMOs, there is always something to purchase in the shop. content, an outfit, something for convenience sake, etc. Here in ESO though, my crowns just pile up & rot, because everything that anyone could possibly want is locked in a loot crate & you force us to gamble. Which I refuse to do.

Like the new expansion for gold road. why the heck can't I just buy that with crowns?

The game needs eso+ to play imo. So there is no need to buy anything that ESO+ will grant you. I already own all the 5k assistants I need (bank/rag/shop), I dont require character slots, still have plenty, classes are all unlocked, nothing in the collectors packs (that i dont already own) thats worth buying, my bank & inventory slots are already maxed out, don't need riding lessons, dont need to pay to unlock any skill lines, already done in game, same goes for skyshards. The "utility" bundles are all hot garbage. no need for exp scrolls, or respecs. The style parlour is devoid of any life, everything cool that COULD be here, is locked in a loot crate. Same goes for the wardrobe section ... & the mount section & the pet section.

all this leaves me with is:

- service tokens for changing my outfit / appearance / name
- houses & furniture (which I already have lots of homes, how many do I bleepin need? lol)

Like I have so many tokens atm with nothing to spend them on & I see no reason why we are either forced to gamble, or have nothing to spend the tokens on. So many other MMOs seem to handle this issue np,so what is ZOS' problem?

Can we get a in game shop overhaul that's less scummy & predatory & maybe get something that we actually want to use please?

Thanks for coming, this concludes my TED talk for the day.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on 23 January 2024 04:20
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    expansions are buyable with crowns, but only when they are converted to DLC (which is the year after their initial release usually)

like when gold road comes out, you should be able to buy necrom with crowns

as for the rest, it would be nice to see more cosmetics (costumes, polymorphs, customized actions, etc) released outside of crown crates

most of the ones ive bought so far are the monster arms packs since those are always direct buys, but thats weapon cosmetics
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Options
    Staff Post
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more, the ESO store is antiquated in many ways. I've recently dabbled in other mmo and season type games, and feel so much more rewarded elsewhere, and I can earn those rewards by playing.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
    Options
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huggernaut wrote: »

I'm a long time player, since launch (off & on) & when I other play other MMOs, there is always something to purchase in the shop. content, an outfit, something for convenience sake, etc. Here in ESO though, my crowns just pile up & rot, because everything that anyone could possibly want is locked in a loot crate & you force us to gamble. Which I refuse to do.

Like the new expansion for gold road. why the heck can't I just buy that with crowns?

The game needs eso+ to play imo. So there is no need to buy anything that ESO+ will grant you. I already own all the 5k assistants I need (bank/rag/shop), I dont require character slots, still have plenty, classes are all unlocked, nothing in the collectors packs (that i dont already own) thats worth buying, my bank & inventory slots are already maxed out, don't need riding lessons, dont need to pay to unlock any skill lines, already done in game, same goes for skyshards. The "utility" bundles are all hot garbage. no need for exp scrolls, or respecs. The style parlour is devoid of any life, everything cool that COULD be here, is locked in a loot crate. Same goes for the wardrobe section ... & the mount section & the pet section.

- houses & furniture (which I already have lots of homes, how many do I bleepin need? lol)

Like I have so many tokens atm with nothing to spend them on & I see no reason why we are either forced to gamble, or have nothing to spend the tokens on. So many other MMOs seem to handle this issue np,so what is ZOS' problem?

Can we get a in game shop overhaul that's less scummy & predatory & maybe get something that we actually want to use please?

You don't need eso+ to effectively manage inventory. There are lots of storage options, chests, mules, bank, etc. Once you learn to manage your inventory without eso+ you'll wonder why you ever had it in the first place. Use your crowns to buy a few mule toons and you'll be set.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CrazyKitty wrote: »

You don't need eso+ to effectively manage inventory. There are lots of storage options, chests, mules, bank, etc. Once you learn to manage your inventory without eso+ you'll wonder why you ever had it in the first place. Use your crowns to buy a few mule toons and you'll be set.

Like, NO THANKS! I don't want to have to keep logging out, logging in, logging out, logging in to get something from my inventory. There is a REASON why I have all the assistants. Plus, I believe in SUPPORTING ESO because they need money to continue the game; even though they said years ago that ESO+ does not come close to covering their expenses.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Like, NO THANKS! I don't want to have to keep logging out, logging in, logging out, logging in to get something from my inventory. There is a REASON why I have all the assistants. Plus, I believe in SUPPORTING ESO because they need money to continue the game; even though they said years ago that ESO+ does not come close to covering their expenses.
    Completely agree. The first thing I do when playing any games is find a way to avoid spending most of my time on inventory management, because it just sucks all the fun out of it. I also don't want to spend a lot of time logging in and out repeatedly, just to shuffle items between containers.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BahometZ wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, the ESO store is antiquated in many ways. I've recently dabbled in other mmo and season type games, and feel so much more rewarded elsewhere, and I can earn those rewards by playing.

Good god please do not encourage ESO to do battlepasses. That is just as bad as Loot Crates if not objectively worse. I literally quit Runescape 3 to start playing ESO again BECAUSE RS3 decided to implement a battlepass system.

I would love for them to experiment for a crown crate release by just offering the items for crowns as well. Make it similar to how you can purchase Monster shoulder pieces. You can spend a much higher price if you buy something individually, or you can spend less and get the random items via a crown crate (this method assumes no duplicates). I think this method would massively increase the revenue from the crown store.

Another controversial opinion I have about the crown store is that I think ESO+ shouldn't give players crowns. It causes a weird need for ZoS to massively overinflate the price of their crown store items, and I'd much rather the prices be more reasonable than relying on a Once a Year allowance of crowns.
    Options
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭

Hey, if you want to pay $15/month just to manage your inventory, that's up to you. It's super easy to manage your inventory without ESO+, so I don't see any reason to pay anymore. There are storage crates, banks, storage pets, mules etc. that can do the job for free.

I don't see any reason to give ZOS any more money until they put it towards the PvP aspects of the game instead of divesting in the PvP aspects of the game.

Edited by CrazyKitty on 26 January 2024 15:32
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mules aren't even required. I played the game before the crafting bag, and without the crafting bag after it was introduced. The same principles apply. Keep what you need. Sell or destroy what you don't. For a lot of people, I figure that the bank plus normal bag space is more that what most people really need.

For me, the crafting bag is simply purchasing the ability to ignore crafting materials completely. When I don't have it, like on XBox, I have to manage things more. That's it. I take the free ESO Plus and suck mats into the crafting bag, which keeps stacks at a manageable level. Until then, I sell or destroy anything I don't need, or can't store.

The only place I feel pressure at the moment is with Furniture, when I don't have warehouse to drop it off in. When that happens, I just delete the furniture. I only need so many shrines to Dibella, anyway. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭

ESO+ doesn't even come close to covering their expenses?
    Yeah, I guess that explains a lot. Like why ESO is a buy to play game, along with additional purchases and optional sub and gamble crates and little to no rewards from actual gameplay itself.
    Game is monetized like a free to play game. I guess it's all to keep the game afloat tho *shrug*.

Only expenses that the subs are not covering are probably the yearly salaries of investors.
    Options
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is hilarious lol.

If you play this game even remotely seriously, you need ESO plus. You are essentially removing a huge handicap when you get it
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is hilarious lol.

If you play this game even remotely seriously, you need ESO plus. You are essentially removing a huge handicap when you get it

No, you absolutely DO NOT need ESO+ to manage inventory, and I can guarantee you I have more hours into the game than just about anyone. Between the six chests, 4 mules and a personal guild bank I get by just as well without ESO+ as I did having the subscription. I paid the sub for 8 years and used to think I needed it. But now after U35 and cancelling the sub I wish I'd cancelled a lot sooner. ESO+ is absolutely not needed with a tiny bit of planning ahead.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is hilarious lol.

If you play this game even remotely seriously, you need ESO plus.

Actually, you don't. ESO Plus is a Nice-To-Have but the game is entirely playable, even seriously, without it.
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, a question for those claiming that inventory management is viable without ESO+ : how much time per character per day do you spend doing inventory management for crafting?
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to op, yes the store is seriously lacking. We got:

- same mounts of tiny variants
    - same motifs of tiny variants, the knights for example, seriously?!
    - hair styles and dye sets?! Can't even unlock individual dyes
    - potions, poisons and scrolls don't deserve a place
    - pets, houses and assistants are great, but that's it.

Also many skins and houses are no longer available, why? Why limit the sale at all?

PS: even those behind crates are very similar to each other and I doubt many would want to get more than one of them. Please hire more artists and designers!
    Edited by moo_2021 on 19 February 2024 12:24
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    So, a question for those claiming that inventory management is viable without ESO+ : how much time per character per day do you spend doing inventory management for crafting?

^THIS! Anyone who has played the game for years and spends hours daily playing, having the crafting bag is a necessity. However, if you're a player who rarely plays, or doesn't farm for materials to sell, then I'm sure you can get away with not having ESO+. Or, if you'd rather spend your time logging in and out of characters to move stuff around- or constantly going to your house to move things in/out of your storage... personally, I'd rather spend my time actually PLAYING the game, and that's worth the $12/mo sub IMO.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭

Less than 5 minutes for the account, and I play daily.

Edited by CrazyKitty on 20 February 2024 16:42
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dropped ESO+ with U35. I take advantage of the free trial weeks to load up my craft bag. I don’t play or do writs on all 17 characters daily and managing inventory on the 3-4 I do play daily takes 2-3 min per toon after turning in writs, if that. I usually keep my bank space between 110-150 with gives me plenty of room to throw decon items in after doing a dungeon or trial.

I have storage toons dedicated to different types of gear or mats but those aren’t needed every day, and it only takes a few minutes to log into them and pull items from the bank when needed.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

I dropped ESO+ with U35. I take advantage of the free trial weeks to load up my craft bag. I don’t play or do writs on all 17 characters daily and managing inventory on the 3-4 I do play daily takes 2-3 min per toon after turning in writs, if that. I usually keep my bank space between 110-150 with gives me plenty of room to throw decon items in after doing a dungeon or trial.

I have storage toons dedicated to different types of gear or mats but those aren’t needed every day, and it only takes a few minutes to log into them and pull items from the bank when needed.

This^

U35 was what convinced me to cancel my sub as well. Inventory management without ESO+ is not time consuming at all.

Edited by CrazyKitty on 20 February 2024 16:59
    Options
  • thecatsme0w
    thecatsme0w
    ✭✭✭
    The main 2 reasons I sub to ESO Plus are the craft bag (I do writs on 20 toons every day and I also spend a lot of time farming mats) and the double furnishing slots in houses. Some of the really big houses (like my beloved Colossal Aldmeri Grotto, feel free to visit it if you are on PC-NA) are a challenge to furnish even WITH 700 traditional furnishings; I do not want to imagine how frustrating it would be to be limited to only 350.

The double bank space is also nice since I'm a furniture hoarder but I have warehouse houses I could use if I had to....
    thecatsme0w
    PC/NA

Eventual goal: Own all the houses. Currently 4 short of that goal.
    Options
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭

Are we playing the same game?
    I'm playing eso. I spend at least 15 minutes daily in inventory managment and i'm eso+
    Edited by Silaf on 24 March 2024 13:50
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silaf wrote: »

Are we playing the same game?
    I'm playing eso. I spend at least 15 minutes daily in inventory managment and i'm eso+

What are you doing for crafting? Writs? Collecting mats? Leveling?
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You mean bad outside of the grossly overpricing of everything in the store?
    Options
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want, or can't afford Plus for Craft Bag, and don't want to log in and out of other characters to store the inventory, there is definitely a way to do it, though there is an initial outlay of money and one time set up can be a bit of a pain.

When the base game goes on sale and is only around $7 buy nine more accounts. Leave only one character on each and don't play them if you don't want to.

Use your now 10 accounts, make your own private guild (another commentor here touched on having a private guild). With 10, you have your own 500 slot guild bank - accessible from any bank with any character without logging in and out of toons.

Yes, on your 'main' you sacrifice one of your 5 guild slots. Hey, nothing comes without a price ;)
    And if you have more than one guild slot free, you can use the same 10 to create a second private guild. And so on.

Like I said... an initial outlay of money, yes. And there is the pain that each account requires a different email.
    But it sure can fix inventory problems, including for housing items. It's permanent, and isn't going to cost you anything else ever.
    Just an idea to toss out.
    Edited by Alastrine on 30 March 2024 04:41
    Options
  • CenturionExplorer
    CenturionExplorer
    ✭✭✭
    Well the crownshop is basically designed to circumvent the legality in most countries. If they offered you 25 loot crates for 55$ directly, well that's gambling in legal terms, especially in some EU countries. So instead it works like this.

1: You buy crowns with real cash, aka you get what you pay for.
    2: ZOS makes an in game shop where only crowns can be spend, aka virtual currency, there are almost no legal limits to what you can do with virtual currencies basically.
    Crowns exist to buy loot crates with and limited services. It's just how it is.
    Edited by CenturionExplorer on 31 March 2024 10:48
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is hilarious lol.

You reeeaaally don’t.

Addons take away all the hassle of inventory management. Interact with a merchant? Bam, all trash and any items you’ve permanently marked as trash get sold. Interact with a banker? Bam, anything you want to put in the bank or retrieve from the bank automatically leaves/enters your backpack. There’s a little bit of initial setup involved, but after that point, you just forget about it and the inventory management happens with barely any input on your part. No inconvenience whatsoever.

Want to know another benefit of not having ESO plus, besides the money you save? Guaranteed fast non-DLC dungeons (besides WGT and ICP) for your random normals. Further benefit of not having ESO plus? If you port to a house in a DLC zone you don’t own, you can enter the house from any location in the world and leave the house returning to that exact location (i.e. not the actual exit site of the house when you own the DLC). This means you don’t have to waste money on things like the decon merchant or anything like that if you’re porting to a guild house that already offers those assistants. Very handy if you’re gathering materials open world or grinding dolmens or whatever and need to quickly dump or deconstruct stuff.

Oh, and I actually sell excess stacks of materials when I run out of space in my personal housing coffers! There’s no need to carry around thousands of stacks of Ancestor Silk, but it’s easy to forget about all that stuff when you have the craft bag. I make way more gold when I’m not subbed.

Overall, the game is better for me without ESO plus. And I feel like I have more freedom to make a random purchase from the store every so often because I’m not wasting CDN $20 every month for access to the (IMO superfluous) crafting bag and a bunch of DLC dungeons I don’t want to play anyway.

I only sub when I need to farm a particular set, or when there’s a DLC-specific event ongoing, and I limit my subs to 4 months per year. It’s working out great for me so far, and I play the game seriously.
    Options
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just so bored of the same samey same crown store. Also the unchanging NPCs in towns, but that's another post....
    Options
  • LokiPagan
    LokiPagan
    ✭✭✭✭

Exactly...I play every day, I don't mind spending 50 cents per day to not have to deal with that nonsense. If I couldn't afford 50 cents a day, I shouldn't be playing games. I get irritated just switching chars to do daily crafting writs, porting to a house to drop off stuff in a chest and spending hours fiddling with inventories sounds like the exact opposite of "fun". To each their own, I guess.

And as for the crown store, I like some of the stuff in there, but I refuse to buy it most of the time. Prices are ridiculous, and lack of a decent option for gold trading means I only bother when it's something I really want. I usually save the crowns from ESO+ and buy the 8k crown crate bundle for the polymorph and then ignore the crown store. I'm not dropping $200 real money on a virtual house or $50 on an outfit, it honestly makes me angry that people DO pay that and they continue making those prices insane.

I feel like they'd actually make MORE profit if they dropped prices, if I could buy cool stuff for $5-10 I'd probably drop that all the time.
    Options
  • Aliniel
    Aliniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am in the exact same situation. I bought all I wanted to buy and now my crowns are just piling up for nothing.

Getting the 10 loot crates for daily logins last month just affirmed my strong conviction of never buying crown crates. Too random and too many things I don't want or care about. If we could extract gems from items we don't own and don't want - maybe. But those are just added to our collection no matter if we want them or not.

And being able to buy expansion with crowns next year is a joke. There's an event every year targeting new expansion so you would be missing on that if you didn't buy it the same year it came out.
    Edited by Aliniel on 4 April 2024 07:11
    Options
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    They have been adding more to the crown store for direct purchase. (Nowhere where it needs to be), but it's a LOT better than it has been for the last few years.

If they keep adding more direct purchases, my husband will buy more crowns on top of our subs. Until then, he manages our characters with tokens using crowns occasionally. Like adding armory slots, changing alliances for old characters that have relevancy again after updates, etc.

Other than that, endeavor seals have been kind of a blessing because now the game isn't dictated as much by teh whales. 🤷‍♀️
    Options