The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Falcon's Swiftness - Add Falling Damage Mitigation?

disky
disky
✭✭✭
It just feels right. When cast, the effect is a pair of magical wings sprouting from your back. When I jump from a high place and cast Falcon's Swiftness, it just seems natural that I would take less damage when I land. It's already a nice utility skill, but I don't think falling damage mitigation would suddenly make it OP. Of course, I'm not all-knowing, so if I'm wrong please feel free to tell me so (with an explanation!).
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By that logic they shouldn't increase your movement speed at all if they can cause air drag, instead you would be moving slower when casting the wings.

If anything it should be the opposite, casting them makes you move faster on the ground either reducing friction or flapping to increase velocity, if falling while casting they cause you to nose dive faster because they are either reducing air resistance or pushing you forward.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    By that logic they shouldn't increase your movement speed at all if they can cause air drag, instead you would be moving slower when casting the wings.

If anything it should be the opposite, casting them makes you move faster on the ground either reducing friction or flapping to increase velocity, if falling while casting they cause you to nose dive faster because they are either reducing air resistance or pushing you forward.

A bird wing is a multipurpose limb. It can allow the animal to fly faster, to soar on air currents, to hover in mid-air. A bird increases its downward speed by tucking its wings into its body, minimizing drag.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... but we're not birds! We're summoning magical wings that is propelling us forward. You falling and casting a spell that propels you forward while falling is going to make you fall faster.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    ... but we're not birds! We're summoning magical wings that is propelling us forward. You falling and casting a spell that propels you forward while falling is going to make you fall faster.

Have you ever actually cast the spell before? The way the wings spread behind you does not give the impression of speed. I'm not saying that it shouldn't do what it does now, but the reason I provided the explanation in my previous comment is because the visual effect of the wings, when falling, give the impression of an intent to slow a fall.

As I said, a bird wing is a multipurpose limb. There's no reason why it couldn't increase speed in one case and mitigate fall damage in another. Birds do both of these things all the time.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever actually cast the spell before? The way the wings spread behind you does not give the impression of speed.

Yeah they're extending outwards then flapping forward which most likely means they are ethereal and air passes through them as they have no physical form. You falling with non-corporeal wings and air passing through with no resistance. :)
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    You falling with non-corporeal wings and air passing through with no resistance. :)

You understand that if there were no resistance then there would be no speed either, right?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You falling with non-corporeal wings and air passing through with no resistance. :)

You understand that if there were no resistance then there would be no speed either, right?

The speed boost is a magical construct, its magical mechanism is moving us forward. The spell is one-way as most of them are otherwise it could randomly backfire doing the other undesired effect in the wrong situation. You want a levitation, slow-fall, or Fizban feather-fall spell; that should be a different spell that does exactly that and only that so there are no complications with its functionality.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    The speed boost is a magical construct, its magical mechanism is moving us forward.

The speed boost is part of an ability created by Zenimax Online Studios. The ability is whatever they say it is, and personally, I feel like it makes just as much sense to add fall damage mitigation as it does a boost of movement speed, because the ability gives you magical agility. And to top it off, the visual effect appears to lend credence to the claim. We clearly disagree but your argument hasn't really persuaded me to change my mind, I'm afraid.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    created by Zenimax Online Studios.

Well my immersion is ruined, buh-bye!
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    Back on topic, I agree with OP. Instead of any damage boost, an escape buff like reduced fall damage kinda parallels with Sorc streak escaping, but different.

Only problem I have with it, is that Wardens typically are already outhealing damage as they flee in Cyrodiil. This just makes it *even harder* for them to die. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe to keep it balanced:
    * __? Expedition for __? seconds
    * When you take fall damage, the amount your health would have reduced, is applied to either your magicka or stamina, whichever is higher.

So you can avoid dying, but lose other resources like a safety net. Keeps players from cheesing Wardens.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hah! I love the conversation earlier in this thread! I think it would be a lot of fun if the wings actually helped to glide a bit. Flying would be such a cool addition to the game. However, there is no way the dev team for eso could pull this off in a way that would actually work. Coming from a primarily PVP perspective.

I mean, every few months heavy attacks stop working, or block doesn’t work anymore, or break free doesn’t work on colorless pool (coincidence?). I just don’t see something like flying working out very well.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah let's give more defense to warden, what can go wrong.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Fair point ^

Warden doesn’t need stronger defensive options.

Just thought it would be really fun to glide. It might not really be that useful in PVP. You would probably lag horribly while you were flying, rubber band back to the ground halfway through the animation, and find that you’ve been hit by scavenging maw mid air, arriving back to your starting point dead.
    Edited by SandandStars on 14 January 2024 19:23
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just feels right. When cast, the effect is a pair of magical wings sprouting from your back. When I jump from a high place and cast Falcon's Swiftness, it just seems natural that I would take less damage when I land. It's already a nice utility skill, but I don't think falling damage mitigation would suddenly make it OP. Of course, I'm not all-knowing, so if I'm wrong please feel free to tell me so (with an explanation!).

This skill is already loaded. It's perfect as it is, especially as an in-class replacement for race against time.