The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Warden Winter’s Embrace - suggested changes to make it more fun.

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
I think the tank identity of Winter’s Embrace needs to be updated with some damage shields in its passives. This would make sense as it would fit the feel of its icy nature. Below I have outlined a possible way to emphasise this while attempting to fix some of the underused skills and morphs.

* I have highlighted main changes in bold to help streamline the post.

Winter’s Embrace:

Sleet Storm: Twist a violent storm around you, dealing X Frost Damage every 1 second for 8 seconds to enemies around you and reducing their Movement Speed by 40%. You and nearby allies gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Also considered Bracing to tie in to the Icy Aura passive change below.

Northern Storm: Twist a violent storm around you, dealing X Frost Damage every 1 second for 8 seconds to enemies around you and reducing their Movement Speed by 40% and increasing your Frost Damage by 300 for 30 seconds. You and nearby allies gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

* Spell and Weapon Damage removed in favor of flat Frost Damage benefitting both Tanks and DPS specs.

Permafrost: Twist a violent storm around you, dealing X Frost Damage every 1 second for 12 seconds to enemies around you and reducing their Movement Speed by 70%, and granting an X Damage Shield based on your Maximum Health to you every 1 second. Enemies hit are afflicted with Major Maim for 4 seconds, reducing their damage dealt by 10%. You and nearby allies gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

* No longer guaranteed Chilled. Instead applies Major Maim and grants damage shields based on Maximum Health.

Frost Cloak: Wrap a thick cloak of ice around you and your grouped allies. The ice grants Major Resolve, increasing your Physical and Spell Resistance by 5948 for 20 seconds. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Also considered Bracing to synergize with Icy Aura below.

Expansive Frost Cloak: Wrap a thick cloak of ice around you and your grouped allies. The ice grants Major Resolve, increasing your Physical and Spell Resistance by 5948 for 20 seconds. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Ice Fortress: Wrap a thick cloak of ice around you and your grouped allies. The ice grants Major Resolve, increasing your Physical and Spell Resistance by 5948 for 30 seconds. You gain Minor Protection, reducing your damage taken by 5% for 30 seconds. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Impaling Shards and Morphs: No change.

Arctic Wind and Morphs: No change.

Crystallised Shield and morphs: No change.

Frozen Gate: Summon an ancient portal, which arms after 1.5 seconds. When triggered the enemy is teleported to you, immobilized for 3 seconds, and dealt 1799 Frost Damage. An ally in the portal can activate the Icy Escape synergy, teleporting them to you and granting them Major Expedition, increasing their Movement Speed by 30% for 8 seconds. You can have up to 3 Frozen Retreats active at a time.

* Retreat becomes base ability.

Frozen Device: No change except the additional base function addition.

Frozen Retreat: Removed and Replaced with…

Frozen Arena: Summon a frozen arena for 30 seconds that pulses every 5 seconds dealing X Frost Damage and immobilizing enemies hit for 3 seconds. Enemies in the area take 30% more damage from Chilled.

* Increased area of effect pulses periodically but loses teleport effect and can only have 1 at a time. Enemies taken more damage from Chilled.

Glacial Presence: Increase chance of applying Chilled to enemies by 200%. Increases the damage of your Chilled status effect by 336. This effect scales off your highest offensive stats.

Frozen Armor: Increases your Physical and Spell Resistance by 990 for each Winter's Embrace ability slotted.

Icy Aura: While Bracing you gain an X Damage Shield. The shield strength is based on your Maximum Health. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds but cannot stack.
Increases the duration of your Winter’s Embrace abilities by 4 seconds.

Piercing Cold: Increases your Bleed and Frost Damage by 10%. Increases your Frost Damage dealt by a further 4% while holding an Ice Staff.

* Piercing Cold passive changes emphasise the identity of the Warden with Bleed and Frost as damage. The Frost Staff condition has been toned down to not box players in but also giving a slight bonus to those that specialize in pure Frost only builds. Glacial Presence isn’t just tied to the skill line, it applies to any and all Frost Damage. Icy Aura Bracing shield increases the defensive identity of the skill line while also giving it synergy with some of the skills.

** Note that Bracing does not mean Blocking. Simply that when blocking you will gain the Icy Aura shield as expected. However, you can gain the shield by using certain skills without having to manually brace. This does NOT mean that these skills would automatically block. Important distinction I felt was necessary to clarify.

*** Icy Aura also increases duration of Winter’s Embrace skills to hit home that feel of an enduring snow storm.

Goals of above changes:

1. Increase viability of Northern Storm over Permafrost by focusing their functions down. With Northern Storm offering more damage while Permafrost a dedicated tanking and CC role.

2. Make Frozen Gate a more desirable skill by buffing its base utility by making Frozen Retreat the base function and creating an alternative morph in its place that offers a more “stand your ground” feel.

3. Adjust the passives to fall in line with the overall identity of the Warden by focusing on Bleed and Frost, reworking Icy Aura into something far more useful and nerfing the Ice Staff bonus of Piercing Cold by making it useful for dedicated Frost builds but not a requirement for all builds.

As you can see the proposed changes are actually quite minor but with increased synergy and class identity. Also, as an added bonus you could pop Frost Cloak and gain the Frozen Guardian set bonus without having to manually brace. 😉

Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on 19 December 2023 08:35
  • yadibroz
    yadibroz
    ✭✭✭
    I think the tank identity of Winter’s Embrace needs to be updated with some damage shields in its passives. This would make sense as it would fit the feel of its icy nature. Below I have outlined a possible way to emphasise this while attempting to fix some of the underused skills and morphs.

* I have highlighted main changes in bold to help streamline the post.

Winter’s Embrace:

Sleet Storm: Twist a violent storm around you, dealing X Frost Damage every 1 second for 8 seconds to enemies around you and reducing their Movement Speed by 40%. You and nearby allies gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Also considered Bracing to tie in to the Icy Aura passive change below.

Northern Storm: Twist a violent storm around you, dealing X Frost Damage every 1 second for 8 seconds to enemies around you and reducing their Movement Speed by 40% and increasing your Frost Damage by 300 for 30 seconds. You and nearby allies gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

* Spell and Weapon Damage removed in favor of flat Frost Damage benefitting both Tanks and DPS specs.

Permafrost: Twist a violent storm around you, dealing X Frost Damage every 1 second for 12 seconds to enemies around you and reducing their Movement Speed by 70%, and granting an X Damage Shield based on your Maximum Health to you every 1 second. Enemies hit are afflicted with Major Maim for 4 seconds, reducing their damage dealt by 10%. You and nearby allies gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

* No longer guaranteed Chilled. Instead applies Major Maim and grants damage shields based on Maximum Health.

Frost Cloak: Wrap a thick cloak of ice around you and your grouped allies. The ice grants Major Resolve, increasing your Physical and Spell Resistance by 5948 for 20 seconds. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Also considered Bracing to synergize with Icy Aura below.

Expansive Frost Cloak: Wrap a thick cloak of ice around you and your grouped allies. The ice grants Major Resolve, increasing your Physical and Spell Resistance by 5948 for 20 seconds. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Ice Fortress: Wrap a thick cloak of ice around you and your grouped allies. The ice grants Major Resolve, increasing your Physical and Spell Resistance by 5948 for 30 seconds. You gain Minor Protection, reducing your damage taken by 5% for 30 seconds. You are considered to be Bracing while this skill is active.

Impaling Shards and Morphs: No change.

Arctic Wind and Morphs: No change.

Crystallised Shield and morphs: No change.

Frozen Gate: Summon an ancient portal, which arms after 1.5 seconds. When triggered the enemy is teleported to you, immobilized for 3 seconds, and dealt 1799 Frost Damage. An ally in the portal can activate the Icy Escape synergy, teleporting them to you and granting them Major Expedition, increasing their Movement Speed by 30% for 8 seconds. You can have up to 3 Frozen Retreats active at a time.

* Retreat becomes base ability.

Frozen Device: No change except the additional base function addition.

Frozen Retreat: Removed and Replaced with…

Frozen Arena: Summon a frozen arena for 30 seconds that pulses every 5 seconds dealing X Frost Damage and immobilizing enemies hit for 3 seconds. Enemies in the area take 30% more damage from Chilled.

* Increased area of effect pulses periodically but loses teleport effect and can only have 1 at a time. Enemies taken more damage from Chilled.

Glacial Presence: Increase chance of applying Chilled to enemies by 200%. Increases the damage of your Chilled status effect by 336. This effect scales off your highest offensive stats.

Frozen Armor: Increases your Physical and Spell Resistance by 990 for each Winter's Embrace ability slotted.

Icy Aura: While Bracing you gain an X Damage Shield. The shield strength is based on your Maximum Health. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds but cannot stack.
    Increases the duration of your Winter’s Embrace abilities by 4 seconds.

Piercing Cold: Increases your Bleed and Frost Damage by 10%. Increases your Frost Damage dealt by a further 4% while holding an Ice Staff.

* Piercing Cold passive changes emphasise the identity of the Warden with Bleed and Frost as damage. The Frost Staff condition has been toned down to not box players in but also giving a slight bonus to those that specialize in pure Frost only builds. Glacial Presence isn’t just tied to the skill line, it applies to any and all Frost Damage. Icy Aura Bracing shield increases the defensive identity of the skill line while also giving it synergy with some of the skills.

** Note that Bracing does not mean Blocking. Simply that when blocking you will gain the Icy Aura shield as expected. However, you can gain the shield by using certain skills without having to manually brace. This does NOT mean that these skills would automatically block. Important distinction I felt was necessary to clarify.

*** Icy Aura also increases duration of Winter’s Embrace skills to hit home that feel of an enduring snow storm.

Goals of above changes:

1. Increase viability of Northern Storm over Permafrost by focusing their functions down. With Northern Storm offering more damage while Permafrost a dedicated tanking and CC role.

2. Make Frozen Gate a more desirable skill by buffing its base utility by making Frozen Retreat the base function and creating an alternative morph in its place that offers a more “stand your ground” feel.

3. Adjust the passives to fall in line with the overall identity of the Warden by focusing on Bleed and Frost, reworking Icy Aura into something far more useful and nerfing the Ice Staff bonus of Piercing Cold by making it useful for dedicated Frost builds but not a requirement for all builds.

As you can see the proposed changes are actually quite minor but with increased synergy and class identity. Also, as an added bonus you could pop Frost Cloak and gain the Frozen Guardian set bonus without having to manually brace. 😉

They need to remove ice skill tree and put it on a new class, it don't fit on warden.
  • yadibroz
    yadibroz
    ✭✭✭
    Im a Frost warden and getting tired of playing as it because of the lack of ice skills and it doesn't feel right.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually enjoy it. There does need to be more Frost skills available outside of the classes though.
  • Ren_TheRedFox
    Ren_TheRedFox
    ✭✭✭
    mhm they need to change Polar Wind for sure .... make it a self heal or make it scale off max magicka and weapon and spell damage like every other healing skil lthat heals another target
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the general concepts you want to change but I'm not sure how i feel about the bracing thing. It seems a bit strong and probably a bit redundant on the ultimate and frost cloak. I feel that at least one of it's morphs should have a legitimate damage use for dps as well so they can gain access to utility.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the general concepts you want to change but I'm not sure how i feel about the bracing thing. It seems a bit strong and probably a bit redundant on the ultimate and frost cloak. I feel that at least one of it's morphs should have a legitimate damage use for dps as well so they can gain access to utility.

The bracing thing wouldn’t be blocking unless you’re manually doing it. It’s just a considered condition for certain skills to gain the shield.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The bracing thing wouldn’t be blocking unless you’re manually doing it. It’s just a considered condition for certain skills to gain the shield.

Do you gain the mitigation?'
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. No block mitigation. Unless manually bracing of course.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

seems like a weird distinction, there's not many things that it would effect atm but i guess that's harmless.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on 30 December 2023 11:12
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

seems like a weird distinction, there's not many things that it would effect atm but i guess that's harmless.

That’s the thing though. If future sets have any “While bracing” effects, it would benefit. Could open a lot of doors.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That’s the thing though. If future sets have any “While bracing” effects, it would benefit. Could open a lot of doors.

it certainly could
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, as a frost mage, I'd just like the frost beam that so many people use on you..... slows you, and does some damage......

Auldwulfe

P.S. the NPC people, that is
    Edited by Auldwulfe on 3 January 2024 15:19
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auldwulfe wrote: »
    Personally, as a frost mage, I'd just like the frost beam that so many people use on you..... slows you, and does some damage......

Auldwulfe

I know what you mean. The one from Coral Aerie Cryomancers. I think that could be a potential DPS skill. They should ditch Force Shock all together in my opinion. Replace it with focused elemental abilities
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Auldwulfe wrote: »

Auldwulfe

I know what you mean. The one from Coral Aerie Cryomancers. I think that could be a potential DPS skill. They should ditch Force Shock all together in my opinion. Replace it with focused elemental abilities

i reckon they should replace force pulse with it, and keep crushing shock as the 3x elemental dmg spammable.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate you making considerations for pure Frost dmg builds. I tried making my Warden into a Cryomancer with the best possible dps while staying true to theme, and even still she's not all that fun to play. Sustain kills me and my dmg over time remains subpar. "Play how you want", but Ice is for Tanking, not Damage. :/
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I appreciate you making considerations for pure Frost dmg builds. I tried making my Warden into a Cryomancer with the best possible dps while staying true to theme, and even still she's not all that fun to play. Sustain kills me and my dmg over time remains subpar. "Play how you want", but Ice is for Tanking, not Damage. :/

Run Frostbite and Draugrkin. It’s the best setup for Frost DoT damage in my opinion. Or Draugrkin and either Whorl or Icy Conjurer. Draugrkin is very effective on Frost due to it working on both the DoT damage and the Chill damage. Effectively doubling down.