Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Rhajin patron spam is too cheap

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Use Sorcerer King Orgnum , Crow, or Mora. Orgnum you actually get more power if they spam you too many bewilderments. And Mora just hastens the game so much and also has curse card, where things they play may end up benefiting you. Crow is iffy because Rahjiin also counters crow by breaking combos, but if you're able to get those combs off, you can draw enough cards and build up enough prestige through the combos that it doesn't hurt as much.

It's not the best counters but it's better than picking something that is more hindered by it.

Crow is a horrible idea to try to counter any Rajhin strategy.

Disagree. Crow (as long as it's being supported by decks like Red Eagle, Celarus, Etc) have won me way more matches than I have lost against Rahjiin.

Yes, Rahjiin bewilderment spam breaks the combos. And it has agent killing cards to break up the agents.

But the draw a card, power generation, and the way the crow patron can capitalize on big coin gains have also been very good at countering what Rahjiin can do.

They pretty much counter each other, but I personally have had more success with crow than the other way around.

I have had some pretty oppressive Rahjiin matches as well where the only reason I won is because of crow.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 13 December 2023 15:00
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've had luck with Crow in Rajhiin games too. One of my most insane games involved being forced to discard 3 to 4 cards per turn over multiple turns and, thanks to Crow draw combos, I was still clearing the opponents board of agents and making progress toward the eventual victory. If crow had been literally any other archetype, then I would be doing basically nothing those turns instead.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Going to somewhat disagree regarding the skill intensiveness of the button pressing. It can be fairly obvious to press the button over and over in certain situations. Did you just buy a Luxury Exports on the first turn and the tavern has a bunch of contracts? Okay, spam that button to victory, literally. I've done this severalt times.

The situations where you get Luxury Exports on turn one and the board has nothing else of value to the extent where your opponent can't buy anything throughout the game are rare. I can remember a few instances where my opponent got a Luxury Exports or Grand Larceny on turn one and started to spam Bewilderments, and I still managed to win most of them. It's only really bad if you get extremely unlucky, and this applies to every deck and strategy. If you just don't get anything all game, the decks don't matter. This isn't a Rajhin problem.

Luxury Exports doesn't do much on its own. If you spam Bewilderments at your opponent who makes a few writs, he will eventually have more coin per turn than you. If he plays correctly he will turn most of the Bewilderments into writs and have 1-2 Bewilderments and a lot of writs in his deck while you have one Luxury Exports and 10 starting cards. All your opponent needs is one Midnight Raid or Volley and he will take the lead. If he finds an Oathman or so you're in big trouble. He will have some undesirable fluff in his deck, but he can still easily win the game.

I think your example highlights the skill element of the Bewilderment that I mentioned. Most players play poorly when they're being Bewilderment pressured. They either engage in the Rajhin spam when they have nothing in their deck, or go in desperation mode and start buying random contracts and bad cards when they draw like 4-5 coins. What they should do is try to find 1-2 good cards. If there's nothing good on the board they have to buy the cheap contracts when they draw 7-8 coins or so, and only burn the more expensive ones if there's absolutely no choice. The good news is that if there's nothing worth buying on the board, your opponent can't add good cards either.

I can remember more common situations where my opponent gets Midnight Raid, I buy something random and open up another Midnight Raid and my opponent buys it and starts spamming Bewilderments. In that case it can be difficult to win but you just have to view these games as the unlucky instances, and if you managed to get something useful on turn or two yourself you can still win it. You just have to start buying cards like the Shadows or Taunts as higher priority than usual.

Maybe a better example is Prescience/Prophesy turn 1 since those also open the door to trying to make plays like finding Scrying Globe to buy and press the Rajhiin button in the same turn.

I'm of similar experience where I only very rarely lose because bewilderments were too much to overcome fast enough. You certainly identify the correct way of overcoming bewilderment - just making writs.

I don't think that it is particularly skillful for players to make writs. It's the games most basic mechanic besides maybe buying a tavern card. But yea, many people seem to have trouble with the mechanic so maybe there is some skill there and you are right. I guess that there are even players who don't make writs in games where Rajhiin isn't giving Bewilderments. Unfortunately, I don't believe that the games tutorial teaches players how to make a writ. Instead, it teaches them how to use the Crow button on turn one.....

Making writs is basic approach.
    What is happening with that extreme strategy is:
    I have a bewilderment card in my draw deck and in next turn I get it in my hand. With not that much bad luck this happens already in turn 3 if I got one early on. At best I now have 4g in my hand. I spend 2g on turning the bewilderment card into a treasure. Leaving me with 2g with which most of the time I cannot do anything.
    Maybe if I am lucky in the early stages to buy a card that gives some extra gold. But in the meanwhile the opponent has always given me a bewilderment card. Which means that I basically ALWAYS lose at least 3 or 4 gold per turn. Provided I only get one bc per turn.

Plus if you keep turning Bewilderment cards it 2 gold coin cards by using the Treasury, unless you have Currency Exchange combo from Hlaalu deck or a contract action card in the Tavern to use Patrons twice, then you end up having to sacrifice using any patrons on that turn in order to convert your Bewilderment card. if you keep having to do that multiple times, it definitely stinks. And if your opponent is close to achieving a Patron victory, then you get stuck turning Patrons while Bewilderments stack up in your deck.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
    Options