Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Endless Archive Watcher Quest Question and Suggestion

LouisaB75
LouisaB75
✭✭✭✭
In this quest the skill bar changes. The first time I ran it I didn't notice at first because it is similar in colours to my regular skill bar. Needless to say instant fail.

The next time I tried to see what the skills were before starting it but was under attack before I could read them all. I am trying to read a skill each time but it is slow going. Especially since my duo partner has managed to get me to the final stage where you are under attack instantly.

Tried hitting the skills to see what they do, which helps with some but not all.

Would like to suggest that players are not attacked in that quest until they either move or activate a skill.

And my question is whether anyone has a list of those skills please as I don't think we are going to be able to 'wing it' through stage 5.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 17 November 2023 18:36
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First skill is your general attack skill.
    Second skill is which allows you to find Tomeshells by simply shooting a projectile towards them. If there is none nearby you can cast the skill again.
    Third skill is speed skill.
    Fourth one is stun. You need to face the target and cast it.
    Fifth one drops an ink puddle on your location which slows down enemies.

I may confuse the numbers but these are the skills.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ok so, as a watcher your objective is to find and kill the book creatures, also known as tomeshells

skills
    skill 1: spin and slap everything around for your tiny damage (used to kill the tome shells)
    skill 2: fire a bolt that highlights every tome shell within 50 meters of you for 30 seconds
    skill 3: go fast
    skill 4: stun enemy you are looking at (watcher modle has to be facing said enemy)
    skill 5: snare enemies around you (seems abit buggy tbh)

tips
    -you can't recover your health in any way at all, however if you die you can be rezzed by your partner, and vice versa
    -the main way to kill the enemies is to stun/snare them and have them be hit by the traps
    -there is no time limit, so don't rush when not needed, that'll just get you killed
    -if under attack stun/snare and then flee
    -afterwards, win or lose, re-equip at least one piece of gear from each set you are wearing as there is a nasty little bug that stops sets from working after being transformed into the watcher (but oddly enough, not the goat)
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭✭
    4th is speed I think. That was one I figured out by pressing. Though with two people saying otherwise I am starting to second guess myself. Or maybe I accidentally switched two while faffing with the bar and trying not to die.

The ink puddle and stun are the ones I was clueless about.

Thank you so much. That ink puddle may be the one to get me through this quest.
    Edited by LouisaB75 on 9 November 2023 09:23
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest doing that with another player. Sticking together while traveling around can be useful for quick resurrections and for getting rid of the Hushed easily.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LouisaB75 wrote: »
    In this quest the skill bar changes. The first time I ran it I didn't notice at first because it is similar in colours to my regular skill bar. Needless to say instant fail.

The next time I tried to see what the skills were before starting it but was under attack before I could read them all. I am trying to read a skill each time but it is slow going. Especially since my duo partner has managed to get me to the final stage where you are under attack instantly.

Tried hitting the skills to see what they do, which helps with some but not all.

Would like to suggest that players are not attacked in that quest until they either move or activate a skill.

And my question is whether anyone has a list of those skills please as I don't think we are going to be able to 'wing it' through stage 5.
    Had the same issue where the mobs were killing me, til I took the time to read the skills. But the fifth skill drops a ground aoe, just drop it whenever you can and they die fast. Four or five of those ground aoe's kills those mobs. You dont even have to look where the mobs are, as they are always coming.

If the mobs get to close to you, or if you want to pass a tentacle, use the third skill. It increases your movement speed by giving you a small speed boost forward.
  • Nilandia
    Nilandia
    ✭✭✭
    Ability 1: Tentacle Torment
    - Burst Out tentacles, dealing in a 5 meter radius around you dealing X Magic Damage.

Ability 2: All Seeing
    - Find all Tomeshells in a 50 meter radius. They are visible for up to 15 seconds

Ability 3: Speedy Tentacles
    - Wiggle your tentacles faster causing you to go 50% faster
    - Lasts 3 seconds

Ability 4: Paraylzing Blast [sic]
    - Stare at your enemies so hard that it stuns them from a 15 meter radius in front of you for 10 seconds
    - Conal AOE

Ability 5: Ink Spray
    - Create an ink cloud that lays in a 5 meter radius for 20 seconds and deals X Magic Damage and snares enemies that enter it by 50%
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got this secret for the first time last night and didn't even have a skill bar. I wish this thread had existed for Google to find, because the internet was no help at all. :D Finally someone in guild chat explained that you can use 1 to zap things, so that took care of the tomeshell I was hovering next to. I'll have to study up on these abilities in case the bar bugs out again.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭✭
    Google failed me too. Which is why I posted here. 😀

I am very grateful to all the forum members who have taken the time to respond.

Still would like to see a halt on attacks right at the start though. Just so we can check out our new skills before we are under attack.

My duo partner has been a huge help with the quest but can only carry me so far when I am dying because I don't know what button does what.
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally completed the final stage thanks to the awesome forum members who replied here. THANK YOU ALL!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few additional notes about the watcher stage

as you get higher difficulty versions of this stage, you get less health, whirlwinds do more dmg, and starting at difficulty 3 you get a random add that will chase you around to melee you

at difficulty 5 you dont have a lot of health at all, whirlwinds will nearly 1 shot you and the adds will 2 shot you

if you are running with another player, you rez them with a synergy if you get in the green circle around them (this goes for all combat type bonus stages (the goat one and the duel with arcanist one)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there also more tomeshells with each level? Hope not :(

Thanks for making this post; I thought after reading this I'd finally be able to pass this level... then got 1-shot by a tentacle T_T I forgot which difficulty I was on, according to Eye See You! in Achievements I've only done 2/5.

Also good to know it's not timed, for some reason I thought it was. Like the Ghostlights, which I also cannot do past 3/5 (on 4 now)
    Edited by MoonPile on 13 November 2023 21:43
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a maximum of 4 tomeshells.
    Antiquities Addict
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it would definitely be a good thing if there was some indication that the skill bar had changed... maybe even *gasp* a popup explaining them... and all the action doesn't start until the popup is dismissed.

This game is consistently terrible at explaining things!
  • Nilandia
    Nilandia
    ✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    Also good to know it's not timed, for some reason I thought it was. Like the Ghostlights, which I also cannot do past 3/5 (on 4 now)
    I've found success with moving around the outside to gather all of the lights before heading to the center to deposit them all in one go.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nilandia wrote: »
    I've found success with moving around the outside to gather all of the lights before heading to the center to deposit them all in one go.

I got the achievement by collecting three wisps on one side, leading them to the center, then going straight to the other side and grabbing the last ones.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »

I'm running with a partner to get this achievement. I'm at 3/5 done, so I'm trying the fourth level each time. We can't pass this level. @EdjeSwift says that there is a maximum of four tomeshells, but we found many many more. We always go killing tomeshells all around, avoiding zombies, tentacles, vortices... and in the end we are always killed by some sum of difficulties that arise. In my opinion it is TOO difficult from the fourth level up. At least there were only 4 tomeshells!!! I would have finished it already for sure!!!
    Is it possible that when there are two people the tomeshells double?
    I think they should give us something to heal ourselves in some way, or something that definitely kills zombies.
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's doubled for duos, I've done it solo multiple times and it's 4 max for me at max level. Would make sense to have 4 per player at max rank.

As for killing the risen, you can, it's just finicky, it's a matter of using 4 to stun, 1 to damage, and 5 to slow. But they almost one shot you, so I just end up spamming 5 when I can to kite them behind me to get through.

Edit: Finally got my buddy on to run duos with me, the watcher level definitely doubles the tomeshells per player like the butcher levels.
    Edited by EdjeSwift on 14 November 2023 08:25
    Antiquities Addict
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it would definitely be a good thing if there was some indication that the skill bar had changed... maybe even *gasp* a popup explaining them... and all the action doesn't start until the popup is dismissed.

The first thread that I lost was on a my second Tho'at Replicanum fight. The boss dropped a bunch of shards and I didn't know to stop attacking, so it was in instant death. There was no way that I would have known that, so it basically cost me over 2 hours of time to learn that hard lesson. I just chalked it up as another ZOS moment.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my i understand you. I had the same difficulties but the last stage with 4 tomeshells was really tricky solo. I found the ink to be perfect to slow the attackers. There is no reason to actually kill them as they respawn. Just ink and the speed. The whirlwinds make it hard to just go and that failed me many times. Finally got it done by luck and patience.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »

I'm running with a partner to get this achievement. I'm at 3/5 done, so I'm trying the fourth level each time. We can't pass this level. @EdjeSwift says that there is a maximum of four tomeshells, but we found many many more. We always go killing tomeshells all around, avoiding zombies, tentacles, vortices... and in the end we are always killed by some sum of difficulties that arise. In my opinion it is TOO difficult from the fourth level up. At least there were only 4 tomeshells!!! I would have finished it already for sure!!!
    Is it possible that when there are two people the tomeshells double?
    I think they should give us something to heal ourselves in some way, or something that definitely kills zombies.

GOT the ACHIEVEMENT !
    We went duo but separated, one on the left, one on the right side. Aaaand.... WE DID IT eventually !!!!!
    LOL
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate this secret level. Always skip it since I got the achievement.

Same with secret were you gave to fight an arcanist. It's just not worth the time spent.

I only do the goat level, the get-to-the-other-side level and the wisp hunting secret. These usually complete in a short time.
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭✭
    tomfant wrote: »
    I hate this secret level. Always skip it since I got the achievement.

Same with secret were you gave to fight an arcanist. It's just not worth the time spent.

I only do the goat level, the get-to-the-other-side level and the wisp hunting secret. These usually complete in a short time.

I do attempt the watcher one when I get it and the goat and ghost lights ones. The rest I skip now I have the upgrades unless I am on a run with someone who still needs them.

My favourite is the ghost lights as I can manage that every time (bar getting booted from the server right when I get the last light to the centre like earlier today!) The watcher one I fail more often than not. The goat I can usually do without any trouble.

I skip the get to the other side one unless I have ring of the wild hunt on me.

I also do the collect pages ones whenever I get it for the extra currency.

I also find that what level is coming up next influences whether I bother with the unknown portal. If there is a boss next I am more likely to at least see what it is.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently stuck at level 3 of this as I did the first two with a more experienced partner (who did all the work on this while I wondered about in a state of confusion trying to figure out what I needed to do). Now, I cannot make the tomeshells appear and I’m confused as to what I need to do if I come across them and there is so much damaging me and no way to shield or heal! :persevere:
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am currently stuck at level 3 of this as I did the first two with a more experienced partner (who did all the work on this while I wondered about in a state of confusion trying to figure out what I needed to do). Now, I cannot make the tomeshells appear and I’m confused as to what I need to do if I come across them and there is so much damaging me and no way to shield or heal! :persevere:

I was in the same boat as you. If you look at the helpful skills list posts in response to my original plea for help you will see the skills to get you through it. It really does help.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if on PC:
    number 1 skill is a basic aoe attack
    number 2 skill locates the tomeshells if they are within 50 meters of you and lets you see them through walls
    number 3 is a temporary speed boost
    number 4 is a conal stun (you have to be facing a target for this)
    number 5 you drop a ink pool which does a slow + dot

tips:
    1. always be moving so your less likely to get cornered by the adds but be careful of the whirlwinds and tentacles
    2. number 1 skill is easiest to kill the tomeshells with
    3. number 3 skill usually can keep you ahead of adds
    4. number 5 skill is also good to use while being chased

the number 4 skill is not the best because it requires facing the target, only useful if an add is already coming at you from the front

certain racial passives can heal you (argonian passive for healing when using a pot, or like orc passive which heals you when you deal dmg such as with the ink pool)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To highlight the tomeshells, use the second ability on the bar, it sends out pulses to highlight nearby tomeshells, when i find one, I usually use the first ability to kill them. The third is a speed up if you need to run from a risen who gets too close, 5 is an ink pool of slow to slow down those pesky rising. The fourth is a strange stun which stuns enemies in front which I've rarely used to success so I avoid it.

Generally what I do in this minigame is hit 2, see where the tomeshells are, and make my way towards them watching for Risen and not turning corners too quickly in case tentacles spawn.
    Antiquities Addict
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^ This

I just got this minigame earlier today for first time. I play on PS/NA and did not know that my skill bar had changed. I thought my skills had disappeared because the controller buttons I tried pressing didn't seem to do anything. I guess I did not try mashing all the buttons while facing one of the moving enemies to discover that some of them did something.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, ZOS, if you're reading: the watcher level and some others are actually demoralizing at high level, and it's horrible that they will only spawn at 5/5 account-wide after completion.

Like others said above, I will skip them. Especially this watcher one: if I'm ever lucky to actually finish it to get the buff, I will never ever do it again. I'm so sick of having done it dozens of times and failing. I know what the skills are, I know what you're *supposed* to do. It doesn't matter, I just suck I guess And that one keeps spawning repeatedly because it's the only one unfinished.

It used to be fun! I liked the lower-lever puzzles and the chance to get leads. Now most of them at 5/5 are a wasted opportunity and a waste of time between mob-monotony.

Anyway someone elsewhere said that you can use potions as a watcher. I haven't been able to, tried tri-pots and normal health, nothing worked. Anyone try?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, ZOS, if you're reading: the watcher level and some others are actually demoralizing at high level, and it's horrible that they will only spawn at 5/5 account-wide after completion.

Like others said above, I will skip them. Especially this watcher one: if I'm ever lucky to actually finish it to get the buff, I will never ever do it again. I'm so sick of having done it dozens of times and failing. I know what the skills are, I know what you're *supposed* to do. It doesn't matter, I just suck I guess And that one keeps spawning repeatedly because it's the only one unfinished.

It used to be fun! I liked the lower-lever puzzles and the chance to get leads. Now most of them at 5/5 are a wasted opportunity and a waste of time between mob-monotony.

Anyway someone elsewhere said that you can use potions as a watcher. I haven't been able to, tried tri-pots and normal health, nothing worked. Anyone try?

the only way i know that its possible to heal is through some racial passives

argonian racial passive when using a potion can heal
    orc have a passive that heals when dealing dmg, so you can heal if you drop the ink and the adds following you run through it

i also noticed if your hp regen is high enough you can still retain some hp regen (i had like 129 hp regen as a watcher on my tank)

the problem with all of those though, is at the higher difficulty, you have far less health than on the lower difficulty so you will most of the time get 1 or 2 shot, and any kind of healing is pretty much useless
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LouisaB75 wrote: »
    I skip the get to the other side one unless I have ring of the wild hunt on me.

This one seemed impossible once I got to the 5th level of the challenge, right up until I slotted Rapid Maneuver. I would just identify the correct order for the pylons (sometimes it only uses 5 which is nice), pop Rapids and just zoom through. I have yet to fail this challenge since then. Just remember to swap Rapids back out for the skill it replaced!
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."