The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Do you prefer for dungeons to have hard-set group mechanics?

Cooperharley
Cooperharley
✭✭✭✭✭
Let me clarify - what I mean is, are you okay with the fact that some dungeons are mechanically unable to be soloed? I love playing this game (even though it's an MMO) in a solo capacity as a challenge, not necessarily because I prefer it. One wish I do have would be that you are physically able to solo 100% of dungeons if you have the skill - some don't allow it simply because they require another person to properly progress.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 29 August 2023 15:20

Do you prefer for dungeons to have hard-set group mechanics? 54 votes

Yes (comment below w/ reasoning)
16%
AvalonRangerfizl101MilchbartJaimehthe1andonlyskwexAmotticaPrincessOfThievesKatzenzungeUsualSurrender 9 votes
No (comment below w/ reasoning)
75%
MaddjujuCredible_JoeYstradCludDagoth_RacSilverBrideTandorAuroranGoldenEagleXoelarasizererAcadianPaladinduaglothsau02adgJierdanitKlauthWarthogjaws343CatagamiGiuliettacolossalvoidsBlood_againFinrodMacBeornN3CR01 41 votes
Indifferent
7%
MuizerSmokedpyrotechFenris_ArainaiLozeenge 4 votes
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options are always important in games, and soloing should be an option for those who want it at least in normal dungeons. I'd accept e.g. 2 pressure plates as a mechanic if you could use a companion for one of them. I'm also in favour of having group content so having such mechanics in veteran dungeons would also be fair enough, although again there is a case to be made for having options.

Also, in before the inevitable "why don't you play Skyrim if you don't want to do dungeons in a group?" comment. ESO isn't a group game, it's a multiplayer game in which a variety of playstyles is catered for. Forcing someone to do a part of the game in a playstyle that isn't enjoyed for whatever reason will always just mean the player doesn't do that that content. Hence the benefit to everyone of having options.
    Options
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes when I'm farming gear for raids I just wanna hop in on normal and chill for a bit.

Also, I don't like people.
    Options
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same reasoning as you pretty much, if someone is strong enough to tackle all the enemies on his own, then I don't think he should be stopped by such a mechanic.
    PC EU
    Options
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came across this problem with the Dragonstar Arena and was seriously annoyed. I like things being soloable (if you have good enough gear/skill to do so), but some dungeons are designed to not be in a way that annoys me to no end.
    Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anumaril wrote: »
    I came across this problem with the Dragonstar Arena and was seriously annoyed. I like things being soloable (if you have good enough gear/skill to do so), but some dungeons are designed to not be in a way that annoys me to no end.

I solo nDSA without issues. Where do you have trouble?

Also, I hate those forced group mechanics with a burning passion. While some can be by passed with some shenanigans and out of the box thinking, some simply can't. At least remove it from the Normal version.

And I also simply don't like peoples.
    Edited by Snamyap on 29 August 2023 15:18
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can't solo it, I don't do it. Only my templar is able to solo Direfrost Keep and I hate that my other characters can't . . . or I can't tell my companion to stand on that stupid plate. Even Stibbons can stand on a plate for crying out loud (Stibbo Stay!).
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on 29 August 2023 15:22
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Dungeons, Trials & Arenas section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeons are group activities. Making them soloable severely limits the types of interesting mechanics that they can include.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeons are group activities. Making them soloable severely limits the types of interesting mechanics that they can include.

That's a valid reason for adding mechanics to the veteran dungeons, but making normal dungeons group-only would greatly reduce their appeal (and probably DLC sales too).
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont like mechanics forcing a group

however there are ways to work around some of them (which people have found by attempting to solo them anyway) lol

the psijic ult precognition can get you out of a majority of the lockdown mechanics, but honestly having something you cant ccbreak from on your own is incredibly annoying
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, I don't, and I am including both in-combat and out-of-combat mechanics here.
    Does anyone have a reasonable explanation on why we couldn't topple a stone sarcophagus or stack a bunch of broken pottery on top of a pressure plate in Direfrost Keep, anyway?
    Options
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and NO. Not so simple problem.

I don't so hate 4 men dungeon content, but most of speed runner ignore
    interesting secret contents which need for Vet difficulty.
    And, we can't access some of secret boss without multiple players.

I want some simulation mode for studying new dungeon mech with virtual NPC group mate.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
    Options
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the mechanic. Standing on pressure plates just to force grouping is stupid but I would accept if there was a mechanic where one person needed to drag the boss to a location, another needed to do something to drop the boss into a pit and someone else dropped explosive barrels on the boss's head.

I'd be happiest if everything has a maximum number of people, but if you were good enough, you could do it with fewer. I'd love to hear about people who managed to solo trials because completion was based on their skill and not stopped by artificial roadblocks. It would be cool to see the progression - first complete with 8, first with 6, etc.

Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are group dungeons so it makes sense there would be mechanics requiring a group. Mechanics requirement more than one player in group content should be expected. I am surprised we do not have more of such things.

Group content should never try to cater to a solo player. That would mean holding back on possibilities for something that does not fit with the purpose of the dungeon.

What is needed in ESO is a solo version of the 4-man dungeons. One where the mechanics are simple enough to be done solo. This would not be for a challenge but for those who want to see the story but do not want to have to group to see it. This is most needed for the dungeons that are part of the year-long story.

Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I can't solo it, I don't do it. Only my templar is able to solo Direfrost Keep and I hate that my other characters can't . . . or I can't tell my companion to stand on that stupid plate. Even Stibbons can stand on a plate for crying out loud (Stibbo Stay!).

The locked door that is normally the exit. There is a troll in the hallway. Use a skill like caltrops, a ranged skill that drops an area effect, you should be able to get his attention that way. When he approaches use a gap closer. Next door you can just use a gap closer on one of the mobs inside.
    Edited by Snamyap on 30 August 2023 09:45
    Options
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do like activities with friends but soloing has always been the best for me. I have to be my own healer/tank and dps so without crutches i get better through practice and problem solving.
    Edited by endgamesmug on 30 August 2023 10:26
    Options
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and no, so I’m not voting. Requiring 2 pressure plates is unnecessary but dungeons should have defined mechanics for tank, dps, and healer. Healer tends to not have mechanics unfortunately. Things should be soloable with companion, but maybe not soloable without, just because healchecks on tanks can be healed through by tanks, which again, reduces the importance of healers. It shouldn’t be healable by the person with it, like MGF HM.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

I think it's the penultimate boss, the one with skeletons where you get teleported to another area. When you get teleported the battle resets since there is no longer anyone in the main boss room. But I haven't found any way of avoiding that teleport. It just spawns right beneath your feet and you get instantly teleported whether you like it or not, resetting the boss.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anumaril wrote: »
    Snamyap wrote: »

I think it's the penultimate boss, the one with skeletons where you get teleported to another area. When you get teleported the battle resets since there is no longer anyone in the main boss room. But I haven't found any way of avoiding that teleport. It just spawns right beneath your feet and you get instantly teleported whether you like it or not, resetting the boss.

the holes spawn in fixed locations, so you can avoid standing on those

just have to be careful of the enemies with chains as they sometimes can pull you over a hole
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While I rarely run dungeons solo nowadays, I think there should always be the possibility to do so. So I'm against forced grouping by hard-set mechanics.

It's not logical to block progress of players, which otherwise could complete said dungeons easily by simply placing a button, like in direfrost keep for example.

That said, also agree with @Soarora above: The ability to solo dungeons must not lead to a reduction of general complexity of mechanics. So I wouldn't touch fights like the harvester in wayrest sewers 2 or chaining mechanics like in FG2. It' on the player to find creative solutions for thus encounters, if he intends to solo them.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Removing hard group checks in dungeons would do a lot to alleviate the easy and boring overland content problem. It would also allow more people to enjoy the narratives of dungeons, which are largely skipped by groups.

I've never understood the hard division between solo and group content. Additional backup should be a commodity, not a necessity.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    While I rarely run dungeons solo nowadays, I think there should always be the possibility to do so. So I'm against forced grouping by hard-set mechanics.

It's not logical to block progress of players, which otherwise could complete said dungeons easily by simply placing a button, like in direfrost keep for example.

That said, also agree with Soarora above: The ability to solo dungeons must not lead to a reduction of general complexity of mechanics. So I wouldn't touch fights like the harvester in wayrest sewers 2 or chaining mechanics like in FG2. It' on the player to find creative solutions for thus encounters, if he intends to solo them.

well a problem with wayrest 2 is there is no functional workaround to do that solo, the original method was to pull the boss back to the doorway, but that no long works, and that is one of the few lockdown mechanics that you cant break out of with precognition

the only possible method ive heard to survive it is to consume a food item the split second after the hold releases before the final tick happens since its scaled dmg, but the margin of error on that is so slim that it would be a waste of time trying

its basically akin to direfrost keep where if there was not a way jump through that door, you would be stuck because of a 2nd pressure plate, or building extremely tanky to endure the slog in red petal bastion getting turned into a goat constantly

similar 2 person mechanics that are extremely difficult to bypass would be the levers in ICP, and there are many dlc dungeons with optional side bosses that are impossible to reach without multiple players (black drake villa, dread cellar, red petal bastion for examples)

so no, there are not always workarounds/counters for these mechanics, or involve pseudo-buggy behavior (direfrost keep)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    i would prefer to be able to do everything with my companions, no add ons or voice chat and without people peeping into my inventory everytime i get loot but they dont seem capable of making such dungeons possible at all levels of play.
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's OK if there are just a couple that cannot be solo'ed, since the majority can, after all grouping should be encouraged in a game like this, and it's only a very small fraction of the total number of fights.
    Options
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy some challenging bosses which require good coordination in group. It is a great fun, when you do a group run. Same with "don't do it" mechanics, that can wipe the group by wrong action.
    But I hate it becomes a progress blocker despite your ability to massacre the whole dungeon.

I would love to see a story mode for group content, which would allow to run the story solo with all that "save your mate" mechanics off.
    Same with Direfrost step-plates. I remember times when Na-Totambu group event required two players to be activated. Today it is soloable. Why don't do the same with those plates?
    Options
  • mdjessup4906
    mdjessup4906
    ✭✭✭
    I play with groups all the time, and I still like soloing. LET ME SOLO DANG IT!

Those mechs are also really irritating when you don't have a full group. Can't do the secret bosses in several of the dungeons because of it, which is especially annoying when we're in there for a lore/story run and the whole point is to do everything.

They could just make the player-number mechs scale to how many group members there are. Like, if there's only one person in group, you only need one pressure plate/brazier/etc, 2 players requires 2, and so on. And hard stuns, pins, etc don't happen if there's no one to break you free.
    Edited by mdjessup4906 on 31 August 2023 14:23
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those mechs are also really irritating when you don't have a full group. Can't do the secret bosses in several of the dungeons because of it, which is especially annoying when we're in there for a lore/story run and the whole point is to do everything.

They could just make the player-number mechs scale to how many group members there are. Like, if there's only one person in group, you only need one pressure plate/brazier/etc, 2 players requires 2, and so on. And hard stuns, pins, etc don't happen if there's no one to break you free.

they did implement some of those things for newer dlc dungeons

coral aerie all of the side bosses are accessible solo, and the 4th secret boss while it has pressure pads, will work with any group size as long as the whole group is standing on them so its possible to solo still
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

they did implement some of those things for newer dlc dungeons

coral aerie all of the side bosses are accessible solo, and the 4th secret boss while it has pressure pads, will work with any group size as long as the whole group is standing on them so its possible to solo still

Which is great!

The dungeons that require 2 people to pull something like a lever (ICP) or stand on 2 plates (DFK) need to be able to be done with companions. We need to have commands like “stay here” or “interact with this”
    Options
  • mdjessup4906
    mdjessup4906
    ✭✭✭

Might have to try this again then. I two manned this with a guildie earlier this year and had to beg for 2 more people at the end because the thing wouldn't open with just us.
    Edited by mdjessup4906 on 31 August 2023 18:49
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Might have to try this again then. I two manned this with a guildie earlier this year and had to beg for 2 more people at the end because the thing wouldn't open with just us.

those pads do require the full (current) team to be standing on them

so if you have 2 players, both players have to be on the pads, 3 players - 3 pads, etc

my guess is that if you did the dungeon with 4, and 2 of them dropped after the normal final boss but without doing the secret boss, the secret boss would still be expecting 4 pads to be used

if you start the dungeon with 2 players, it should only need 2 pads for example
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options