Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Cannot make my mind up.

Mortelus
Mortelus
✭✭✭
One thing with this game, I cannot find a class I really enjoy. I know any class can do anything, but you miss out on a class ultimate if you just put points into weapons.

I want to play 2H, I tried NB, and it's fun, but I feel it is definitely more suited to DW, especially with the animations on the class skills which show DW.

I tried DK, but I don't really want anything to do with magic.

If I want to make a pure mage I can. But I cannot make a pure Barbarian warrior. It is a shame, they need to add a new class quickly. One which focuses mainly on stamina and has class skills based upon stamina usage and doesn't have animations which involve magical effects. Looking at you NB summoned daggers everywhere.

For a barbarian class they could replace magika with bloodlust or focus, depending on which path you take.
Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • _subjectnamehere_
    _subjectnamehere_
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to miss out on Ultimates, join a guild, or consider the world tree (with soul trap) for your ultimates.

For example, if you want to play a pure barbarian warrior and only invest in the weapon skills, consider joining the fighters guild and using their ultimate.

Just a suggestion.

With this game, you really have to picture who you want to be/how you want to play, do some thinking and exploring, and go from there. I really wish there was a straight-up answer for you.

The beauty of the game is choice...it takes some planning and preparation...thinking ahead.

For example, I am leveling a sorcerer/healer. Most of my points are going in the restoration staff skill line with just a few in the dark magic tree for some DPS/CC, making it easier to level and to support my party. My second weapon will be a Destro. Staff with most of my skills going into that....AOE damage/CC. So, I am barely touching my class skill lines.

I really wish I could help you more. Best of luck to you!
  • outlanderbz
    I know the feeling. I made a similar post earlier. Game feels so magic heavy. As much as I try to stay with weapons the magic based stuff pulls you back to it.
    Edited by outlanderbz on 2 April 2014 00:27
  • _subjectnamehere_
    _subjectnamehere_
    ✭✭✭
    I know the feeling. I made a similar post earlier. Game feels so magic heavy. As much as I try to stay with weapons the magic based stuff pulls you back to it.

You do have a point. You are most certainly going to need Magika for something.

But, do not feel like you have to invest attribute points in your magika. If you want mostly stamina, invest in that, with some health, of course. Just my opinion...

For my sorcerer, I find that I do not need to invest in stamina, even though I do have one or two abilities that use it. I use those abilities so rarely that my stamina pool is sufficient, providing I don't spam said ability.
    Edited by _subjectnamehere_ on 2 April 2014 01:38
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    ...For a barbarian class they could replace magika with bloodlust or focus, depending on which path you take...

see, this is the bit I've had a hard time understanding. Why not replace magika *IN YOUR MIND* with bloodlust, or focus, or "skill" or any other metaphor that satisfies your sense of not using "magic"

another example - LOTRO (Lord of the Rings online) has replaced the concept of "health" with "morale" - the idea being that, if you're "defeated" (not killed), in LOTRO, it's because the enemy has so thoroughly sapped your will to fight, by injury and exhaustion and fear and whatnot.

mechanically, it's identical to health - they just gave it a different name in order to try and change people's general perceptions of it's impact on immersion in the game world.

In THIS version of Elder Scrolls, MAGICKA isn't necessarily magical (although future expansions could, of course, make me a liar) - right now, at least, MAGICKA is really just a skill energy pool. It could be rage, it could be fervour, it could be skill or will or mojo or whatever name you want to give it. For some of the *effects*, they are distinctly magical, but others are very metaphorical.

Sure, I have a nightblade, and the teleport strike, I do in fact "teleport", which you could argue is magical - but it's shadow, it's leapy, and I just think of it as my character leaping from the conveniently everywhere shadows and knifing my enemy - it doesn't *have* to be magical in my mind, despite being *powered* by MAGICKA.

Now, I can certainly understand, they could have made it a lot EASIER to overlook your class-based "magick" skills, but the truth is, if you like the "mechanics" of a particular class, you can, if you really want to, change the way YOU perceive the dragon-knight "magicka" powers, and make them into the barbarian cleaving that you know and love.

You can't necessarily MAKE zenimax change the game mechanics to build the character you want - but no one has more power than you, over changing how YOU see the mechanical output of those powers.

It's not a perfect solution - but it *could* make you happier playing, if you're willing to give it a shot

just an idea - do with it what you will
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your input, I will check out the fighters guild ultimate. I have tried to do what you suggest of ignoring the magika, however the graphical effects throw me off, I wield a 2h axe, yet when I move "through shadows" I attack with summoned daggers. I really don't mind the DK's pulling skill, I can live with that. But all the rest just magic based animations.

What i'd like to see is more weapon based animations, like cleave, and not animations that look magical.

I can also imagine magika to be anything, this is correct, it's more all the animations of the skills themselves.

I am going to try my best to create a 2h barbarian NB. Medium armour, and focus on race and weapon skills. I choose NB because I want a little bit of sneaky sneaky, and will use a bow later.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?