Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Weapons Only? no magic

outlanderbz
This is in regard to more of a leveling and PvE standpoint. I see everyone talking about the skill lines but is it okay in this game to just be a pure weapon warrior type player? Seems like there is a huge focus on magic in this game.

Was kind of thinking about a Templar that is pure sword and board with maybe a simple healing self spell if needed. Not sure if ranged is a must though yet as my highest guy is a level 10.

thoughts?
Edited by outlanderbz on 1 April 2014 19:16
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    You can pretty much do anything you want. Just remember that you do have a magicka pool, and I would find it to be irresponsible if you avoided it's use at all. As that is extra resources you could be using to help your teammates, or yourself. Neglecting it, I would say would be unwise.

Also keep in mind if you do a purely stamina build...blocking and dodge rolling also require stamina, this is why balance is often key. If you use all your stamina on attacking, how are you going to use your sword/board to block or roll? (you're not).

I highly recommend a balanced approach.
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be done, but you might miss out on a lot of the passives and active abilities that can be vital to a lot of builds. You'll also be a little starved for skills, since there are fewer stamina skill lines than there are magicka skill lines, and they're far more spaced out. Good luck if you try it, and let us know how it goes.
    The Psijic Order
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    You don't *have* to use magic. You can easily make a build around a weapon. And ranged? There's a ranged ability that costs stamina from The Fighters Guild.
    Edited by dannomite82 on 1 April 2014 19:28
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • outlanderbz
    Makes sense because as I have played I have noticed that it seems very magic heavy or leads you to be more balanced. I like the Templar but I am having a tough time finding what role to play. I am usually more of a solo guy with an occasional group. When i group I tend to be more of a tank. So I guess more of a DPS/tank role. Than when the 2nd weapon slot comes into play it will really get interesting. I guess I could build one for DPS and than the second as tank? Or one melee, one ranged? One single target/one AOE. so many different ways to go.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can do anything in this game. If you want to focus soley on Stamina and Health, I say go for it. You only get 5 abilities and an Ultimate... just make none of those abilities have magicka.
  • outlanderbz
    So it seems like balance is actually the better way to go, then when you hit 15 you use the weapon swapping to fit different roles. Such as sword and board melee dps on one weapon slot and a ranged dps on the second weapon swap.
    Edited by outlanderbz on 1 April 2014 19:35
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    And both will have a different skill loadout associated with em.
  • murpf
    murpf
    @OUTLANDERBZ just do what comes natural and feels fun to you, that's the beauty of it.
  • Sonic260
    Sonic260
    ✭✭
    As an Orc Templar, my first object is to raise all three to 5, and then use my Race skills and Medium Armor skills to handle stamina levels and regeneration while I focus raising Magicka and Health from then on.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is important to notice that ALL the class skills are magicka based.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • outlanderbz
    murpf wrote: »
    @OUTLANDERBZ just do what comes natural and feels fun to you, that's the beauty of it.

yeah, I agree. it is just different having so much freedom. I guess if I knew exactly what I wanted my guy to be that would help. then I could go from there.

• Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @outlanderbz check out my guide here http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide#latest

It lets you enjoy the game, and get xp on about ... 9 skills at once while you are figuring things out...
  • bryan.vincentneb18_ESO
    I'm being a dragon knight dps which will wield a sword and shield, then my nightblade will have two daggers and my Templar will be a barbian
  • outlanderbz
    I'm being a dragon knight dps which will wield a sword and shield, then my nightblade will have two daggers and my Templar will be a barbian

how do you plan on doing the templar barbarian? will you stay away from using magic abilities?