Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Controlling your threat with Deadra Summoning Pets

IncredulousPlatypus
I'm guessing my perspective is tainted from having played WoW, where it was fairly easy to manage threat between your char and summoned monsters/pets by using one or more skills of the pet or yourself.

In TESO, however, I'm having a significant amount of trouble figuring out how to transfer threat between my char and my clanfear summon. Even if I use a DoT curse, it seems to immediately pull threat from my clanfear to me, even if I wait a bit first and let the clanfear deal some damage.

Is there something I'm missing here? If there's no way to effectively manage threat between a char and summons then daedra summoning is going to be fairly difficult for solo players to use, if not useless.
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pets in this game aren't like in other mmos they're just Canon fodder nothing more.
  • narcolepticjedi
    I find pets most useful as a distraction when facing more than one mob. Just don't AOE or attack the wrong mob.
  • spideyfk
    spideyfk
    I'm a sorcerer, played solo and in a group. To be honest, it's just a matter of figuring out your tactics. I was able to take up to 3 mobs thanks to my Clannfear.
    No, they don't work as cannon fodder to me at least, but experiences may vary.
    I am currently in 15 for my summoning skill tree, and i'm waiting to be 20 to be able to summon the flying daedra.
    The thing is, it's important to know WHEN to unsummon them. For example, in the fungal grotto dungeon, i had it unsummoned most of the time and summon it back when fighting a single boss.
    To answer your question, you are not missing anything. You just need to see if you can figure out a tactic that works for you.
  • Riny01
    Riny01
    ✭✭✭
    I use my clannfear as a distraction most of the time, it allows me to distance myself to get better shots in...most of the time anyway!
  • IncredulousPlatypus
    Is there any way to send it to attack before you do anything yourself? Like a pet-attack command?
  • spideyfk
    spideyfk
    Unfortunately, no. I LOVED that aspect with the companions in SWTOR though. Truth be told, most of the times for regular monsters, my daedras will just give the last hit, since my ranged spells deal some nice damage. But as before, they work good for multiple monsters.