Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

My first Impressions of ESO

Bloodmonarch
Bloodmonarch
✭✭
I have played just about every ‘AAA’ MMOG since 1999. There are only 3 games that had what it takes to keep me paying and playing for ‘years’ They are:-

Asherons Call 1

Everquest 1

Vanilla WoW (up to and including WOTLK)

I have generally always been there at launch for a new MMOG, I like a game that is populated, and you can’t get more populated than launch (a huge plus for the mega server here, as that should keep zones from ever becoming totally deserted). One thing I have found is that I know, usually within the first few minutes, whether the game has got what it takes to keep me playing. This is helped by the fact I usually read the forums extensively prior to release and check out all the dev updates screen shots movies etc. This gives me a good idea on what to expect as far as, what direction the game has taken, what features it has and the mechanics of combat/crafting etc.

So the initial few minutes is all about, how does the game feel, I already know what the game is about, its now just about how it feels. its almost an intangible thing, sometimes the game might have all the mechanics and features that I like but there’s just something about it that isn’t quite right and I know, maybe not consciously at first, but deep down I know, I’m not going to be playing the game for long.

There are games where everything ‘is’ right but there isn’t that extra spark, the spark that is needed to make the game a different experience. After so many MMO’s all churning out the same tired format, MMOG fatigue has set in, and perhaps games I might have played for years, say 10 years ago, are just too much like "more of the same" now, and I don’t get past the first month.

Enter 2014 ….Enter…. Elder Scrolls Online.

I did all my usual MMOG prep work, read all the forums after the NDA was lifted, watched all videos, read/watched all dev updates, checked out the skill planner etc etc. Based on all this I pre-ordered for 5 days early access.

Sunday arrives and I login, character creation options are neither a game maker or breaker for me, invariably everyone ends up in helmets or hoods and what you look like is rendered irrelevant. But there are a good amount of options that will make most characters look unique. I get to my prison cell and am immediately very impressed with the graphics and how smooth it runs on Ultra. I am however in a small cell, on my own, so the jury is still out on performance, but it’s a good start.

I won’t labour every detail about my experience in the tutorial, but what I will say is this, in every other MMOG I've played I can’t get the tutorial out of the way quick enough. In this tutorial however, I actually wanted to take my time, to look around at the environment, the lighting, the level of detail. The NPC character acting is enjoyable rather than tiresome (I’m sure the crazy guy in the tutorial is John Cleese of Monty Python and Fawlty Towers fame) J. The Gfx are amazing and still there is no performance issues.

I finish the tutorial and arrive at the starter town, after some exploration of the town I move on to the starter island, which is where I am now…level 3 on the starter Island. So how do I feel?

I am very… VERY… impressed!!!!

I feel something that I haven’t felt since AC1, EQ1 and vanilla WoW, I could be playing this game for Years!! It just feels right, there is a spark here that has been missing for so long. I look at things and think to myself, that’s amazing. And believe me, it takes a lot for me to think ‘that’s amazing’ in a MMOG, having played so many, over so many years. The level of detail in the world is outstanding, even right down to the metal rings holding the canvas on the wagon next to the cooking fire.

The gfx, on ultra, are the best in any game I’ve seen. The water is the best I have ever seen, its almost photorealistic. The character models are excellent and I see nothing wrong with the running and combat animations (as some were complaining in beta). The mechanics of the game I already know about, I know I will like the PvP, the skill system, the combat system, it was all about how does it feel when I get in game. …well….it feels right!

As long as the devs stick to their vision of creating something a bit different, an Elder Scrolls game that is a cross between the single player elder scroll titles and an mmo, a game that includes great open world pvp and doesn’t destroy it by separating PvP’ers into arena’s and other 12v12 battlegrounds , I can see myself here for a long time. If they sink into the trap of trying to pull WoW players away from WoW and turn this game into another tired run of the mill MMO ….I’ll be off

I might only be level 3….but I know a good game when I see one!!!

Congratulations to the dev team, you can be very proud of what you have created here.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Except for all the bugged out quests.....
    One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• Varko
    Varko
    ✭✭
    I too am in love, they have put a.lot of effort in every detail, you can just tell. Questing last night was a pleasure.. read all the dialogue! Haha.
  • Varko
    Varko
    ✭✭
    Khandi wrote: »

Th r games 2 days old, way to bring this thread down a notch
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had 0 bugged quests, have you tried logging in and out.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Varko wrote: »

Th r games 2 days old, way to bring this thread down a notch

These are the same issues from 7 betas ago. It would be different if they were new and different issues.

~Oscar Wilde

• Varko
    Varko
    ✭✭
    I've had no problems.so I don't know what to tell you.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Varko wrote: »
    I've had no problems.so I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't ask :)

The bugged out quests are common knowledge.

~Oscar Wilde

• murpf
    murpf

haha give it some time, they are probably feverishly working to keep everything in order. bugs in the programming are a given.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    murpf wrote: »

haha give it some time, they are probably feverishly working to keep everything in order. bugs in the programming are a given.

True. Bugs happen :)

I just keep hoping for different bugs rather than the same old issues. LOL!

~Oscar Wilde

• Nixes
    Nixes
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, this thread shouldn't be about the bugs. Clearly the OP was discussing the general feel of the game. Simple bugs like those that everyone is experiencing through various quests, can be fixed, will be fixed, and a non-issue. That being said, I completely agree with the OP.

The game, the feel, the quality is absolutely fantastic. I have never been in a launch that felt as smooth as this one is going. The content actually feels new, exciting, and engaging rather than the same old garbage that gets churned out by every other run-of-the-mill MMO out there that is trying to imitate WoW and it's success.

They can fix bugs, but they couldn't fix a crap game. They could certainly turn the game into garbage if they tried, so let's hope they have to foresight to see what makes this game special and great while they fix the small issues. So far, awesome job Zenimax. You guys have a great game on your hands.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Nixes wrote: »
    Honestly, this thread shouldn't be about the bugs. Clearly the OP was discussing the general feel of the game. Simple bugs like those that everyone is experiencing through various quests, can be fixed, will be fixed, and a non-issue. That being said, I completely agree with the OP.

So far, awesome job Zenimax. You guys have a great game on your hands.

~snip for length~

I agree with you....except for calling them non-issues.

~Oscar Wilde

• Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed OP, very impressive thus far. Also have run into no quest bugs on Ebonheart.
  • LimeFox
    LimeFox
    ✭✭✭
    @‌ bloodmonarch

You're right, by the way - that is indeed John Cleese playing Cadwell. I adore the voice acting in this game so far, particularly his, because they sound like REAL PEOPLE.

I'm a theatre major, and to me it's always very weird listening to video or game dialogue where people clearly, carefully speak a sentence. Then pause. Then say something else. Then pause. Mr. Cleese makes the character interesting because of the way he speaks - some words are slightly rushed together, some sentences almost run into the last sentence, pauses feel very natural. He talks more like a real person, and less like a stilted MMO NPC reading off a script, if that makes sense.

Glad you're enjoying the game thus far! I am as well. :) I can see small things here and there that I'm sure will be tweaked as time goes on, but the overall game is great, so I'm not worried. I agree with the posters on this thread, if they'd botched the overall game, it wouldn't matter. But they haven't, it's a very solid start and it hopefully will only get better as they fine-tune it.
  • Beachcomber
    I am truly enjoying the product and have to agree - I think this will turn into one for future - Great Work
  • Myrddinman
    Myrddinman
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP, and yes the voice acting is phenomenal. Here's a great video that runs through all of the actors...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=na-Jun_uRFQ
  • Erlqueen
    Erlqueen
    What a pleasure to read this thread after wading through mostly complaints (yes, I'm guilty of posting one as well but heyho :) ). It did make me stop and think about the few hours I'd managed to play on Sunday. I also slowly went through the starting area, looking around, reading as much as possible, listening, exploring, admiring. Stopping my character in mid exploration as an NPC rushes up to me with a "please help" that sends me off on a quest.

As a friend pointed out to me it makes a lovely change from being sent off to kill 15 mobs, collect 20 something or others in order to level.

In fact I was so busy wandering around I actually don't know what level I left my character at.

It also made me cancel my subscription, for the first time ever, to another game that I've had since Vanilla. Still have mini panic attacks about that fact but they are subsiding :)
    Edited by Erlqueen on 1 April 2014 22:44
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is by far the best MMO I have ever played. If not for the bugged quests I would be happy as could be. I hope they fix them soon because I REALLY love this game and want to see it become a juggernaut (it certainly has the potential).

If I HAD to make a complaint outside the bugged quest it would be the forums. They kind of suck and I think thats why you get mostly complainers (they are the only people who really want to post usually). Thats only if I had to come up with something, but thanks for this post its good to see.
    Edited by Laura on 1 April 2014 22:54
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the devs stick to their vision of creating something a bit different, an Elder Scrolls game that is a cross between the single player elder scroll titles and an mmo, a game that includes great open world pvp and doesn’t destroy it by separating PvP’ers into arena’s and other 12v12 battlegrounds , I can see myself here for a long time. If they sink into the trap of trying to pull WoW players away from WoW and turn this game into another tired run of the mill MMO ….I’ll be off

^ This

The only thing I really, really, really, hope Zenimax does with this game, is just stay true to the original design and vision.

To me, "The Elder Scrolls Online" is to MMO's, what "The Witcher" is to RPG's. It's an RPG's, RPG. You know? Like how a guy can be a "man's man", or an actor can be an "actor's actor." ESO is an MMO for people who like MMO's.

And it's... it's just so good. It WANTS you to invest your imagination in it. And that, to me, is what makes this so much different than pretty much every MMO I have played since before SWG Pre-NGE and City of Heroes Pre-CoV. It's so rich in how it presents everything, you just want to investigate the lore and really be a part of the game.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I agree with the op, something about this game clicks, although for me personally, it took two beta sessions until I had that experience and I think that was mainly due to it being such a different style of mmo game play that I didn't really understand what I was doing with the combat etc.

And I think that could be why so many people initially didn't like the starter islands in the press review a few months back, I initially felt something missing but by the time I'd finished the starter islands it had clicked into place and I loved it.

I now find I also really love the starter islands and they have nothing missing at all.

I can see me playing this game for years
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ojustaboo‌ you must have a telepathic connection with me, as I feel exactly the same way. Took me two betas to really start enjoying it, and took me a while for the play style to sink in ( I kept on comparing it to Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim even though thats not fair) and like you too, I can see myself playing this game well into the future.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    OP I think you are right, this MMO has that "spark" that makes me want to keep playing too.

ZM and Bethesda seem to have done an excellent job in translating that unique TES experience into an online format.
  • ShiBu
    ShiBu
    ✭✭✭
    iam impressed also.. and about your character stuff with the helmet.. you have ingame options for that :smiley:

iam playing since UO ...daoc... lineage 2...swtor.. iam realy not shocked at all about those little quest bugs.
    its much better as it was in beta... so they fixing stuff.. hooray !
    as old mmo freak... bugs are a feature... and aslong its nothing to worry.. aka dubbing or gamebreaking mechanics.. i realy dont care at all.
    quest bugs.. okay.. easy fixable.. and since there are freaking tons of other quests.. /care
    Edited by ShiBu on 2 April 2014 03:16
  • Mindrustia
    I'm also really impressed, it's been a while since I have played a game where I have had really good vibes from just playing up to level 5. Good job ESO thus far.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely a very impressive game, without question. It captures the TES feel very well in an MMOesque way. I feel very satisfied while playing, and also feel a strong desire not to rush, which is an indication to me that I am very much enjoying the experience of the game world. Very well done, overall.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game went downhill once I realized that monsters in dungeons don't give exp.

I want to group with people for challenges in PvE. :neutral_face:
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭

1- Early access.

2- I'm level 15 and no bugged quests yet. =D

Edited by Zorak on 2 April 2014 05:13
  • uselessbass
    So far so good no bugged out quests and most important im having fun
  • joanjett
    joanjett
    ✭✭✭
    I am very happy so far with the game .....but they really need to work on
    the grouping in the game cause thats when it gets bad!
    People being kicked out or dropped or falling thru the world, and its a real pain in the butt
    when that happens in the PvP area.

But over all i am having a great time!
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
  • Anonymous83
    Anonymous83
    Soul Shriven
    100% agree. I really didn't think this game would turn out this great. But on ultra settings.....stunning. The quest etc etc. If you don't have this game your missing out.
  • Anonymous83
    Anonymous83
    Soul Shriven
    Wow i just got my first comment badge. Email went to my phone. +2 points. I see this game going places. At least for me.