The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Transitioning to No-Addon Gameplay on Steam Deck

candyflyp
candyflyp
Soul Shriven
Recently I started spending more time playing ESO on my Steam Deck rather than PC and am loving the experience.

But for whatever reason, I haven't been using any addon when I play on Steam Deck even though it lets you use all the addons that are available on PC. I just found that vanilla controller UI works best when there are no other addons cluttering up the screen, especially considering how small the Steam Deck screen is compared to desktop monitors.

Transitioning to a new UI with no addon wasn't too difficult for me. I only used Bandits UI anyway when I play on PC. But the BIGGEST inconvenience for me was the lack of minimap, most notably inside dungeons and battlegrounds. Now, it really isn't much of a hassle to get the minimap addon installed on Steam Deck, but I just don't really want to use them when I'm on Deck. So I'm in a bit of a dilemma here - should I stop being stubborn and just download these addons? or should I try to adapt to this new playstyle and make it work without a minimap?

I know, as a matter of fact, a decent number of PC players play the game without any addon. And I'm not just talking about the casuals I'm talking about hardcore endgame trial runners and Cyrodiil sweatlords. So I wanted to hear their opinion. Does the experience get better if you play long enough to get used to playing without a minimap (especially in dungeons, trials, battlegrounds)? or am I really alone here playing the PC version with no addon?

Basically, I'd like to know if I should stop being stupid and get that minimap addon installed right away.
- PC [NA] | @candyflyp | DC | Breton | Necromancer -
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a console player I say you do get used to it. When I started playing I was always maoning about the lack of map, but now its second nature to quickly pull up the map and close it, follow pins on the compass or - the rarest - remember my way around :smiley:
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • candyflyp
    candyflyp
    Soul Shriven
    fizl101 wrote: »
    As a console player I say you do get used to it. When I started playing I was always maoning about the lack of map, but now its second nature to quickly pull up the map and close it, follow pins on the compass or - the rarest - remember my way around :smiley:

Well, I agree, but that's the thing - I wouldn't even had this dilemma if I was on console. But if you are playing the PC version without any addon, especially the big important ones like minimap, I feel like I am masochistically gimping myself to a more limited gameplay.

For instance, if you que into battlegrounds on console, you know all the players are going to play without a minimap. If you are playing on PC without any addon, you have to look at the compass or manually open up the map to check your teammates' location, objective status, and etc, while all the other players only need a glimpse at the corner of the screen to quickly visualize this information on the minimap.
    - PC [NA] | @candyflyp | DC | Breton | Necromancer -
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes this is true, and why I don't think all the requests for cross platform play will work. TBH battlegrounds are the one thing I don't do, but for PVE I think it wont be a problem.
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    candyflyp wrote: »
    So I'm in a bit of a dilemma here - should I stop being stubborn and just download these addons? or should I try to adapt to this new playstyle and make it work without a minimap?

I don't think there's any right answer here, it's all personal preference. You're the only person who will be affected by the decision so I'd say do whichever would be less annoying for you.

If it doesn't seem worth the hassle of installing the addons then you probably don't actually want them. If playing without them feels like an on-going annoyance or a 'challenge' you're trying to keep going then you probably do want them.

If you're not sure I'd say keep playing without them for a while (since that's the default) and wait to see if you get used to it or if you're always missing them.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree about personel pref, and the "need".
    I only use addons if they help me, not because they exist.

It can be days where I do not use any (except addon selector to switch profiles, just in case I would need addons :-) ).
    And other days I use like 100 at the same time, to craft, do set item runs, etc.

Basically all can be done without them. And to me the only reason is QOL or time reduction (I'm always short on time so I use addons to save some for my needs).

For your SteamDeck usecase I'd say: Try without them and just at the moment you miss something, try if an addon helps.
    Pragmatically spoken:
    If you think the Minimap would help, try it out?

Asking others will not help to see how your eyes react to the small screen, for example.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play the whole game without addons.

Things just take longer or are less convenient. That's all.
    Options