The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Mouse positioning is wrong on external monitor since update

vgabor
vgabor
✭✭✭✭✭
It's off by quite a big margin on my external 4k monitor, when the pointer shown in the highlighted position the game thinks it's over the version button... This makes pretty much impossible to click on anything.

3p0e5bmj6v54.jpg

Update: after more testing it looks like the 4k what the game unable to handle since update.

- if I pull the game window over to the laptop internal screen, it works fine
- if I set the external monitor to mirror the laptop internal screen, it works fine
- if I set the external monitor resolution to anything less then 4k (even if it's a scaled 3360x1890), it works fine
- if I set the external monitor to 4k resolution, the mouse position broken
Edited by vgabor on 5 June 2023 23:39
  • Xuderis
    Xuderis
    Soul Shriven
    I have a similar issue. My MacBook's screen resolution is 3024x1964. My external monitor resolution is 2560x1440. If I mirror either display, I can play without my other screen normally. But when I extend my external monitor, it's like it's using the resolution from my MacBook display for mouse movement and using the external monitor's native resolution. The result being that I can't select the "Play" button on the character selection screen.

Update: changing my screen resolution does not provide a more normal experience. It's still trying to interact with objects in the wrong location.

Update 2: booting the game while mirroring my displays, then stopping the mirror after the game is running allows me to run the game normally with both monitors. Kinda hacky, but it works.
    Edited by Xuderis on 13 June 2023 00:31
  • Fireslasher
    Fireslasher
    Soul Shriven
    Hey all, I have the same issue, MBP M1, worked fine until the Necrom, now the mouse is offset on my external display and I can't really play like that :smile:
  • ballertron69
    ballertron69
    Soul Shriven
    Exact same issue on 2017 Intel MBP. Made a forum account just to try and boost visibility on this in hopes something will be done...it would be nice to not have to mirror both displays just to be able to play ESO...
  • Xuderis
    Xuderis
    Soul Shriven
    I wanted to point out that eso.live.9.0.6.2699128 2023/06/14 did not fix this issue for me.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    while the "sliding" issue had been fixed in patch 9.0.7, this one still broken
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin are you guys looking into this?
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to extend on this, if you somehow manage to log in (which I did by moving the game window to the laptop screen, log in then move it back to the external monitor) then the mouse movement and character view is broken, you cannot turn around the camera and it keeps drifting around uncontrollably.

So in short, external monitor handling currently entirely broken on Mac (Intel Mac, I have a 2016 Macbook Pro)
  • Xuderis
    Xuderis
    Soul Shriven
    You can still play on an external monitor with the following steps:

- With the game shut down, open your mac's system settings (Note: you may not be able to select the Apple icon if you have the game launcher as the current window. Click on another program if you cannot proceed).
    - Select "Displays" from the left column.
    - Select the "Built-in Display" (or whatever monitor you do NOT want to play on. If you have more monitors let me know and we can test together)
    - Under the "Use as" section, select the "Mirror for [display name]" option for the display you'd like to play on where [display name] is the name of your external display.
    - Load the game from the launcher. From my testing, as soon as the game boots a black screen or further, it should be ready. If you see a loading screen or the character select screen, you're definitely good to go.
    - Go back to your System Settings window and change your Built-in Display to "Stop Mirroring". It should be set to "Extended Display" after you select it.

This works for me on macOS Ventura. You have to do this every time you boot the game from the launcher, but it works. I've been playing significantly less because of this.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure if this would help, but i had a laptop with a base 1920x1080 screen hooked up to a 4k tv

when i went into the display settings the normal screen was 100% scaling, but the 4k screen was 300% scaling, and for whatever reason windows was scaling all applications (even if they were only on the normal laptop screen with 100% scaling, but it was being treated like 300% scaling)

so when i was in game on the main laptop monitor everything was fuzzy and pixelated (because it was rendering at 1920x1080 with 300% scaling)

when i set the 4k monitor back to 100% scaling, everything looked correct on the main laptop screen

so tl;dr, check your display settings and see if its doing anything weird with the window scaling lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's now December half year later, the mouse position on external monitor still broken.
    Edited by vgabor on 16 December 2023 01:36
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After U41 (and 9 months later) it's still broken.