The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Flame Clench Knockback Bugged?

SandandStars
SandandStars
✭✭✭✭✭
I recently tried a new build using Flame Clench and discovered that the Knockback animation isn’t working about 90% of the time. When I hit enemies (in PvP and PvE) the stun works, but they do not get knocked back.

Is this happening to anyone else?
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's related but I've had similar issues. "Warden portals" can just freeze enemies rather than teleport and freeze them. Silver leash can cause cc immunity but not actually pull the enemy. I've had enemies with my restraining prison clearly under their feet walk away when they should be immobilized...
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's related to the problem I've been seeing the last few days? Sometimes when I use my dragon knight leap sometimes it just disappears. Like I fly though the air and land on my target(s) but they dont seem to be affected and no damage registers. I think in my case it usually happens when certain ground effects are cast in the area I'm going to land while I'm mid-flight, usually they seem to involve snares or roots.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know clench wise it's just some animations aren't working on our end, player is knocked back but on our side it's not animated most of the times. Same with some other abilities and that's pretty annoying. Idk about leap though, might be positional desync but had a time when person leaped at me without any damage done, wasn't sure what's that was and had no add-ons at the time to look up logs.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it during a big, laggy fight, like a zerg vs. zerg in Cyrodiil or a trial? I've noticed a lot of animations failing to render under heavy lag, as well as things like ults getting used up but not actually firing. The one I noticed the most recently is casting Time Stop and seeing my resource bar drop and the wind up begin, then just fail to cast, always during a big battle in Cyrodiil.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens most of the time with dragon leap now too. Presumably most "knock up" stun animations are bugged.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Where before the last maintanance on PC EU being knocked back would result in being desynced 3/4 of the times it became frustrating on both ends now. Atm you either just get the stun or desync horribly (on the receiving end).
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    Was it during a big, laggy fight, like a zerg vs. zerg in Cyrodiil or a trial? I've noticed a lot of animations failing to render under heavy lag, as well as things like ults getting used up but not actually firing. The one I noticed the most recently is casting Time Stop and seeing my resource bar drop and the wind up begin, then just fail to cast, always during a big battle in Cyrodiil.

I was playing around with the skill in dungeons and overland the other day and this happened to me there. Same with my dk leap. Happens in casual pve stuff even when nothing much is going on.

Overall the game for me has just been glitchier, laggier, and far less stable than it was a month or so ago. It all kinda makes me suspect they may be playing around with a lot of stuff on the backend to prep for bigger changes down the road.
  • pedrogonzalez
    pedrogonzalez
    ✭✭
    All knockbacks in this game cause hp desync on target, so they should be just deleted.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha. If they delete every skill that causes desync, or other significant problems (scalding rune still hits for ~30,000 environmental damage in bg's -- it's been this way for at least 3 years, probably longer) there will be 1/2 of the game left.

Maybe that would be an improvement. :)
  • pedrogonzalez
    pedrogonzalez
    ✭✭
    Haha. If they delete every skill that causes desync, or other significant problems (scalding rune still hits for ~30,000 environmental damage in bg's -- it's been this way for at least 3 years, probably longer) there will be 1/2 of the game left.

Maybe that would be an improvement. :)

I mean delete knockback mechanics. Just make it stun. And problem solved
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is conspicuously odd that the knockback mechanic worked fine for years (at least 2) and then suddenly doesn't work anymore.

Isn't game performance supposed to improve? Am I naive?

I mean, if block just failed to work (like it did for months) would it be okay to just say "Well, we're not using block anymore, so you can decon your Sword & Board gear, etc." ?
  • DustyWarehouse
    DustyWarehouse
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for reviving a months old thread but I was about to log this issue over in the bug reports category. A quick search led me here. Was wondering if the bug was introduced in U39 but this thread is older than that.

The bug happens to me quite often. I'd need to count for an accurate measure, but my guess would be around 80% of casts where a mob should be knocked back they don't get knocked back on my client. They clearly do get knocked back on the server because a follow up attack is sometimes out of range. And then trying to loot the body is difficult because it is actually somewhere else than where I'm seeing it.

Edit: this is in PvE. Haven't tried it against a player yet
    Edited by DustyWarehouse on 6 September 2023 00:23
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for reviving a months old thread but I was about to log this issue over in the bug reports category. A quick search led me here. Was wondering if the bug was introduced in U39 but this thread is older than that.

The bug happens to me quite often. I'd need to count for an accurate measure, but my guess would be around 80% of casts where a mob should be knocked back they don't get knocked back on my client. They clearly do get knocked back on the server because a follow up attack is sometimes out of range. And then trying to loot the body is difficult because it is actually somewhere else than where I'm seeing it.

Edit: this is in PvE. Haven't tried it against a player yet

This might be a dumb question (mine, not yours) but are you spamming it at mobs? Even mobs get CC immunity so if you're spamming a hard CC like Flame Clench at one the first one wil knock it back, then the next several will just cause damage with no knock back due to the mob's CC immunity. Apologies if this seems like a dumb question but I've been surprised before by someone who didn't know about stuff like this.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's related but I've had similar issues. "Warden portals" can just freeze enemies rather than teleport and freeze them. Silver leash can cause cc immunity but not actually pull the enemy. I've had enemies with my restraining prison clearly under their feet walk away when they should be immobilized...

This is intended gameplay since the change ZOS made to prevent pulls from activating in some situations.

For example it used to be that you could hit the chain and then jump off a keep and the enemy would be pulled to you in mid air. This was added to prevent that. (Mainly in response to Moro pulling a certain dev off Alessia bridge into the slaughterfish).

Flame clench has been bugged like this for a long time but it isn't the same issue.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is annoying, for me, is that about two years ago knockback worked on flame clench, perfectly. I mostly PVP, so I know that it was working great in PVP, as well in PVE.

Honestly, there are many little glitches bugs animation errors and otherwise that have continued to crop up, especially in PVP. I can objectively say that the quality has actually gotten worse over the past three years.
  • DustyWarehouse
    DustyWarehouse
    ✭✭✭
    This might be a dumb question (mine, not yours) but are you spamming it at mobs? Even mobs get CC immunity so if you're spamming a hard CC like Flame Clench at one the first one wil knock it back, then the next several will just cause damage with no knock back due to the mob's CC immunity. Apologies if this seems like a dumb question but I've been surprised before by someone who didn't know about stuff like this.

No worries, not a dumb question at all. Yeah, the issue happens when it should knock them back, i.e. the first hit when they don't have cc immunity yet. Subsequent hits correctly show the "target is immune" message
    Edited by DustyWarehouse on 6 September 2023 19:12
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries, not a dumb question at all. Yeah, the issue happens when it should knock them back, i.e. the first hit when they don't have cc immunity yet. Subsequent hits correctly show the "target is immune" message

Thanks for responding. Sounds like yet another long-term bug that ZOS needs to address. The sheer number of these has grown to the point that I was feeling frustrated too often in the game to really enjoy myself. I'm finding Starfield to be a welcome distraction :)