The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Backlash needs a PvP morph

OnGodiDoDis
OnGodiDoDis
✭✭✭
I've unslotted this skill for various reasons. 1) it warns the enemy that they're about to get combo'd (just like the NB's Mark Target and the Sorc's Curse). 2) it only deals a significant amount of damage when it explodes, and 3) the duration is too long for PvP environments.

Casting this on an enemy automatically puts them on the defensive. It's their warning to buff up and pop those HoTs. By the time you try to combo them, all your damage is being cancelled out by their HoTs.

My suggestion: since both morphs are practically the same (one heals when it explodes and the other applies minor breach), let's make one of the morphs last 3 seconds. This would be perfect for PvP. Purifying light only applies the heal when it explodes. However, most of the time, the target dies or runs away before that happens, making us miss out on the healing. Of course, by cutting the duration in half we would have to reduce the damage. We can also make it so that killing a target with Purifying light on applies a sticky HoT to allies in range of the explosion. Making Power of the Light into an AoE explosion would also be an interesting idea, since it's supposed to be the "damage" morph. Anything to make this skill worth slotting would be welcome.

I would also like to add that a much needed change akin to Concealed is needed. Nb was in a terrible state after Caluurion's was nerfed, so they removed the instant stun from Concealed. By removing the instant stun from one of the morphs of Focused Charge, we can save our stun for when it matters. Making a morph stun on the second hit would be perfect.
Scenario: you open up with backlash, you close the gap with Focused, do your thing, hit with focused again to stun en tandem with the backlash explosion.
Keep the instant stun on Toppling Charge and put the delayed stun on Explosive Charge, that way if people want to open up with a stun, they can.
Edited by OnGodiDoDis on 18 May 2023 18:14
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are buffing it (PvP-wise) next patch, and I’d say you should always have it on the target so it’s not letting them know. 71 ultimate for crescent sweep isn’t very much, and you don’t necessarily open with your hardest hitter. What it might look like is: PotL, Charge/javelin, Jabs, jabs, crescent, Beam, then it booms while you’re beaming.

For the record, I don’t really PvP with a plar anymore because of the nerfs, but the above is a tried and true method for killing someone. If it doesn’t kill the persons, likely they are too tanky anyways and it’ll just be a stalemate.
    Edited by Amerises on 17 May 2023 21:25
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've unslotted this skill for various reason. 1) it warns the enemy that they're about to get combo'd (just like the NB's Mark Target and the Sorc's Curse). 2) it only deals a significant amount of damage when it explodes, and 3) the duration is too long for PvP environments.

Casting this on an enemy automatically puts them on the defensive. It's their warning to buff up and pop those HoTs. By the time you try to combo them, all your damage is being cancelled out by their HoTs.

My suggestion: since both morphs are practically the same (one heals when it explodes and the other applies minor breach), let's make one of the morphs last 3 seconds. This would be perfect for PvP. Purifying light only applies the heal when it explodes. However, most of the time, the target dies before that happens, making us miss out on the healing. Of course, by cutting the duration in half we would have to reduce the damage. We can also make it so that killing a target with Purifying light on applies a sticky HoT to allies in range of the explosion. Making Power of the Light into an AoE explosion would also be an interesting idea, since it's supposed to be the "damage" morph. Anything to make this skill worth slotting would be welcome.

Gods forbid someone should get a chance to fight back...

The idea of shortening the duration and max damage does make more sense in PvP. The AoE damage on expiration would be cool as I've always thought the sound effect when it goes off sounds like an explosion. I dunno about the sticky HoT after death, though. That seems more like a necro theme.
  • OnGodiDoDis
    OnGodiDoDis
    ✭✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    They are buffing it (PvP-wise) next patch, and I’d say you should always have it on the target so it’s not letting them know. 71 ultimate for crescent sweep isn’t very much, and you don’t necessarily open with your hardest hitter. What it might look like is: PotL, Charge/javelin, Jabs, jabs, crescent, Beam, then it booms while you’re beaming.

For the record, I don’t really PvP with a plar anymore because of the nerfs, but the above is a tried and true method for killing someone. If it doesn’t kill the persons, likely they are too tanky anyways and it’ll just be a stalemate.

I don't use backlash because I don't need it. I'm able to kill someone in three seconds, so this skill is uselss to me and others that can accomplish that feat. Perhaps make PotL heal throughout its duration, rather than at the end, to make it worth using. It's also useless to someone that can't kill their target in those six seconds because the target will run away and then they dont get the heal.
  • OnGodiDoDis
    OnGodiDoDis
    ✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    I've unslotted this skill for various reason. 1) it warns the enemy that they're about to get combo'd (just like the NB's Mark Target and the Sorc's Curse). 2) it only deals a significant amount of damage when it explodes, and 3) the duration is too long for PvP environments.

My suggestion: since both morphs are practically the same (one heals when it explodes and the other applies minor breach), let's make one of the morphs last 3 seconds. This would be perfect for PvP. Purifying light only applies the heal when it explodes. However, most of the time, the target dies before that happens, making us miss out on the healing. Of course, by cutting the duration in half we would have to reduce the damage. We can also make it so that killing a target with Purifying light on applies a sticky HoT to allies in range of the explosion. Making Power of the Light into an AoE explosion would also be an interesting idea, since it's supposed to be the "damage" morph. Anything to make this skill worth slotting would be welcome.

Gods forbid someone should get a chance to fight back...

The idea of shortening the duration and max damage does make more sense in PvP. The AoE damage on expiration would be cool as I've always thought the sound effect when it goes off sounds like an explosion. I dunno about the sticky HoT after death, though. That seems more like a necro theme.

I didn't say this skill needs to be invisible. It warns people, fine. I don't use it. That being said, since it's not an attractive skill for PvP, it would be nice if it was made more competitive to be worth using.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't use backlash because I don't need it. I'm able to kill someone in three seconds, so this skill is uselss to me and others that can accomplish that feat. Perhaps make PotL heal throughout its duration, rather than at the end, to make it worth using. It's also useless to someone that can't kill their target in those six seconds because the target will run away and then they dont get the heal.

3 seconds on a plar? How’re you managing that?

Edit: After thinking about it, even on my full gank NB with 21k armor and 18k hp fully buffed doesn’t die in 3 seconds by ANY plar I’ve ever run into. Being a plar main for several years, I really don’t know how it would be possible to kill any opponent in 3 seconds that isn’t a PvE’r queuing for BG to get gold deadly strike jewelery right now 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Edited by Amerises on 18 May 2023 01:02
  • OnGodiDoDis
    OnGodiDoDis
    ✭✭✭

3 seconds on a plar? How’re you managing that?

Edit: After thinking about it, even on my full gank NB with 21k armor and 18k hp fully buffed doesn’t die in 3 seconds by ANY plar I’ve ever run into. Being a plar main for several years, I really don’t know how it would be possible to kill any opponent in 3 seconds that isn’t a PvE’r queuing for BG to get gold deadly strike jewelery right now 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sometimes in two seconds
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After not using it in pvp for several patches since it got gutted, I don't think I'm even going to bother re-slotting it next patch despite it getting a bit of buff.
    They say they are intentionally keeping the damage on it weak.
    It isn't hard, just rework it to be like blastbones or curse. No other class has a delayed damage ability that requires you to stay on the offensive for 6 seconds to do damage. It is absurd.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • pedrogonzalez
    pedrogonzalez
    ✭✭
    Remember when potl was not gutted.
    Potl, javelin, onslaught, jab jab jab, and boom potl crits for 14k
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    Have actually been oneshottet by toppling charge/javelin, 10k crescent sweep first hit, 15k purifying fight from a magplar wearing Ironblood+plaguebreak and 12k crescent, 18k purifying light from another extremely tanky stamplar. Could still get me low with jabs and finish me off with radiant destruction when i survive burst but wasnt even needed. Atm the ability is in a very bad state but it shouldnt be as strong as before too.
    should maybe hit 6-9k like deep fissure.
  • Weckless
    Weckless
    ✭✭✭
    I've unslotted this skill for various reasons. 1) it warns the enemy that they're about to get combo'd (just like the NB's Mark Target and the Sorc's Curse). 2) it only deals a significant amount of damage when it explodes, and 3) the duration is too long for PvP environments.

My suggestion: since both morphs are practically the same (one heals when it explodes and the other applies minor breach), let's make one of the morphs last 3 seconds. This would be perfect for PvP. Purifying light only applies the heal when it explodes. However, most of the time, the target dies or runs away before that happens, making us miss out on the healing. Of course, by cutting the duration in half we would have to reduce the damage. We can also make it so that killing a target with Purifying light on applies a sticky HoT to allies in range of the explosion. Making Power of the Light into an AoE explosion would also be an interesting idea, since it's supposed to be the "damage" morph. Anything to make this skill worth slotting would be welcome.

I would also like to add that a much needed change akin to Concealed is needed. Nb was in a terrible state after Caluurion's was nerfed, so they removed the instant stun from Concealed. By removing the instant stun from one of the morphs of Focused Charge, we can save our stun for when it matters. Making a morph stun on the second hit would be perfect.
    Scenario: you open up with backlash, you close the gap with Focused, do your thing, hit with focused again to stun en tandem with the backlash explosion.
    Keep the instant stun on Toppling Charge and put the delayed stun on Explosive Charge, that way if people want to open up with a stun, they can.

What they are saying is you are supposed to keep it on them. Re apply on cd. If its always on them they wont know when the burst is coming. And who are you killing in 2 seconds? Bears and wolves dont count
    Edited by Weckless on 28 May 2023 02:19
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weckless wrote: »

What they are saying is you are supposed to keep it on them. Re apply on cd. If its always on them they wont know when the burst is coming. And who are you killing in 2 seconds? Bears and wolves dont count

been a while since I last played, but purfying light used to stack if you threw it on a bunch of nerds about to pile on you. That was a big component of magplar 1vX; it almost was never about the burst at times, but that versatility
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Weckless
    Weckless
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

been a while since I last played, but purfying light used to stack if you threw it on a bunch of nerds about to pile on you. That was a big component of magplar 1vX; it almost was never about the burst at times, but that versatility

Hm i never heard of that i remember when multiple plars could stack it on the same person though
  • OnGodiDoDis
    OnGodiDoDis
    ✭✭✭

And who are you killing in 2 seconds? Bears and wolves dont count

What is this supposed to mean? You mean you're not good enough to do it? Also, let me know if anyone in Cyrodiil will just casually let you keep reapplying PotL on them without them running away or getting lost in the crowd.