The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

TRIFOCUS PVP exploit

Kenrixx
Kenrixx
✭✭✭
When this will be fixed ? mdt3gctozts2.png
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For anyone questioning what is happening here;
    Empower is supposed to only increase your damage done to monsters by 80%, however the Trifocus passive is not correctly respecting that condition and is applying 100% of the empower boosted-against-monsters-only damage to players.

Edit: Even more egregiously I've been informed that Battle Spirit isn't mitigating the splash damage from triffocus even though it absolutely should. This makes the bug abuse even more clear.

People are now actively abusing this bug in PVP to gank unsuspecting players by targeting nearby NPCs. This is unambiguously an exploit @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin. This needs to be addressed urgently, and the offending players that have been abusing this exploit need to face ToS.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on 13 May 2023 06:12
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not an exploit, as I was advised.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, we've heard that the devs "are aware" of it, so I suppose we'll find out soon if they consider it working as intended. They certainly don't intend Empowered damage to be passed on to players, and they're changing Storm Master so the extra damage there doesn't apply to players either. Personally I find it hard to understand how they make those changes while intending Trifocus to pass on Empower in situations where it otherwise is specifically exempt.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive adapted, you see most people in IC stay ranged now for these bosses.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Then you were advised incorrectly. Because using a PVE only "damage against monsters" buff to boost "damage against players" while simultaneously taking advantage of the (apparent) fact that this damage is seemingly not being properly reduced by battlespirit even though it is damage that a player is doing is just unambiguously an exploit.
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    The funny thing is that they are nuking plaguebreak for exactly the same reason next patch while this exploit is still allowed to exist.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cant 1 shot a dungeon with Tri-focus.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The number of people who are vigorously defending abusing this exploit in zone chat is baffling to me.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was an unintended change, thats all
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    XEO8oFP.png

Heavy attackers hiding in stealth waiting for Nunatak to spawn in IC.
    PC NA
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm legit farming bosses in Imperial City and you get too close to it and eat a trifocus why should I face ToS?

Not denying the splash damage is stupid, but this is not on the players
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drako_Ei wrote: »
    If I'm legit farming bosses in Imperial City and you get too close to it and eat a trifocus why should I face ToS?

If you know that a skill or setup is having an unintended behavior that gives you a significant advantage in a competitive part of the game, continuing to use said setup is done at your own risk.

I'm sympathetic because I enjoy the lightning staff setup for PVE. ZOS needed to fix this a while ago. Unfortunately, there are players that are abusing this to get easy player kills in IC - that bad behavior has the potential to ruin things for others.
  • Mr_Jord_Joe
    Mr_Jord_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    The issue is that it is a problem, and that it will be fixed sooner or later, probably the passive damage will only work on monsters...
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drako_Ei wrote: »

It's on a player if some conditions are met. Just minding your business is one thing, sneaking on a ledge waiting for a group to ha a boss spawn is another one and totally falls into violation category if done repeatedly, so it can be both depending on how exactly you're triggering it. Pretty sure zos are able to differentiate.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a lightning staff Oakensoul player who had no idea this existed, I'm just going to not bring those characters into PVP. Which sucks, because my primary PVPVE character is a lightning themed sorc (who doesn't use any of that weird one bar HA meta stuff, I run Innate Axiom, Shadowrend and Thundercaller).

This needs to be fixed so that people aren't unintentionally abusing it because it is part of their normal playstyle. I had zero idea I was doing unintended damage in IC.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on 16 May 2023 17:46
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a lightning staff Oakensoul player who had no idea this existed, I'm just going to not bring those characters into PVP. Which sucks, because my primary PVPVE character is a lightning themed sorc (who doesn't use any of that weird one bar HA meta stuff, I run Innate Axiom, Shadowrend and Thundercaller).

This needs to be fixed so that people aren't unintentionally abusing it because it is part of their normal playstyle. I had zero idea I was doing unintended damage in IC.

Eh, I will continue to farm Imperial city with my oaken build. If players want to venture into the first two zones of my alliance's sewer area, that is on them.
  • Nydarisa
    Nydarisa
    Soul Shriven
    I think the issue is how it is used.

If a player is simply playing the game as they normally would (for example, HA a boss on an Oaken build) they are not exploiting an unintended outcome of a change. If they are specifically using this to apply the ramped damage to a player (for example targeting a Daedrat in amidst a group of player enemies) they are exploiting that unintended change.

Obviously, depending on what the behavior is, intent can be hard to determine. In this case, as hitting NPCs is not uncommon, to err on the side of the attacking player (except in cases that a grossly obvious) makes sense.

What we really need is for the team to advise whether this is intended behavior or not. I suspect not, but with this game you never know...
  • Rogue_WolfESO
    Rogue_WolfESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, nightblades that appear out of nowhere and hit your group with 2 attacks (soul teather and proximity det) will hit for the same damage as op's example. Why is one style OK while the other is not?
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nydarisa wrote: »
    I think the issue is how it is used.

If a player is simply playing the game as they normally would (for example, HA a boss on an Oaken build) they are not exploiting an unintended outcome of a change. If they are specifically using this to apply the ramped damage to a player (for example targeting a Daedrat in amidst a group of player enemies) they are exploiting that unintended change.

Obviously, depending on what the behavior is, intent can be hard to determine. In this case, as hitting NPCs is not uncommon, to err on the side of the attacking player (except in cases that a grossly obvious) makes sense.

What we really need is for the team to advise whether this is intended behavior or not. I suspect not, but with this game you never know...

When I initially brought this issue forward, it was involving another player actually setting traps to tri focus; solely for the purpose of ganking people running by. From my interpretation of what I was told, you can deliberately hit players using tri-focus. There are no dividing lines here.
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a PVP zone, this is using the environment to your advantage, same as kiting around a tree when being pursued. this is not an exploit of any sort, this is how the game works.

you want to lobby for a change in how the game works, fine, but baiting people by calling it an exploit is over the top.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    haelgaan wrote: »
    It's a PVP zone, this is using the environment to your advantage, same as kiting around a tree when being pursued. this is not an exploit of any sort, this is how the game works.

you want to lobby for a change in how the game works, fine, but baiting people by calling it an exploit is over the top.

You probably unaware, but the passive was changed not long ago precisely because PvP. Same as empower. Now it supposed to hit only "monsters", but splash portion wasn't adjusted which is an issue and wasn't intentional whilst being combined with buffed through the roof empower. It is an exploit by definition.
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    passive says "damages nearby enemies'

enemies includes players

no exploit
  • ZOS_Suserial
    ZOS_Suserial
    admin
    Greetings,

As we've removed a few non-constructive comments around baiting, please remember that while it’s all right to disagree or even debate with each other, provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable. Please don't cite private conversations as a reference to backup you point of view/topic, unless you can freely show evidence to support your point of view/topic. It helps prevent continued disruption and reduces the chance of the thread being closed. This is a reminder to please keep the discussion civil, constructive, and on topic. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Community Rules | Code-of-Conduct | Terms-of-Service | ESO-Home | ESO-Help
    Staff Post
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

enemies includes players

no exploit

The buff that's being used to get those numbers says "increases damage against monsters by 80%" players are not monsters. It shouldn't be translating the damage that's supposed to be only against monsters. It also isn't being mitigated by battlespirit. Exploit.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on 18 May 2023 03:43
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

enemies includes players

no exploit

The buff that's being used to get those numbers says "increases damage against monsters by 80%" players are not monsters. It shouldn't be translating the damage that's supposed to be only against monsters. It also isn't being mitigated by battlespirit. Exploit.

It's the same old story every time there's a popular exploit like this. Some people will claim, "It's not an exploit. It's a clever use of mechanics" or "It's not our fault ZOS' game is broken" etc etc etc. Then ZOS will quietly slip a fix into the patch notes, and maybe a few players will have an involuntary vacation from the game, but usually only if it's in PvE or involved the Crown Store somehow.

Get the word out and keep your distance from IC bosses until it's patched. Not much else we can do.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug is beyond stupid.

So far I've died 4 times this week to this. One of which might actually cross the realm of exploit because a dk tank was purposefully chaining in enemies from range and we'd die instantly before being given an opportunity to counter play it.

Just now, after my wife and 1 spent 10min 2vXing a group of 5-6, two of which were heavy attack sorcs, the boss spawned right on us and we died instantly. Took 40k dmg from two ticks.

Such trash. We logged out after that. Lost all desire to play.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of people who are vigorously defending abusing this exploit in zone chat is baffling to me.

^ Strong agree.

If it’s a completely imbalanced, “cheap” exploit, why would you defend it? Don’t you realize this kind of problem/oversite ruins the quality of the game?